PDA

View Full Version : Minimum time in HKG before duty

flyingsheep
3rd Jun 2011, 10:42
Hi all,

Heard there is a minimum time that you have to be in HKG before ur duty? cant find anything in the OPs A. surprise surprise

the sheep

Max Reheat
3rd Jun 2011, 12:01
You can't have looked very hard!

Ops Pt A Ch 7 (FTLs) para 22.5

The longer of:

the length of the preceding duty, or

twelve hours.

If you can find the reference, there are some notes with it.

I'll draw your attention to note 3; where, if the rest is in company provided accomodation (ie a hotel down-route) the rest may be reduced by 1 hour.

Cheers and happy reading.

Steve the Pirate
3rd Jun 2011, 16:31
Max, I have t agree with Jizz inasmuch that this question seems to have been posed with respect to getting back to HKG in your own time rather than FTLs etc.

Answer to flyingsheep - be sensible.

STP

jed_thrust
3rd Jun 2011, 23:24
Answer to flyingsheep - be sensible

Yes, be sensible. BUT, keep one eye on the AFTLS as well because they do in fact apply to commuters as well, in that you are required to be fully rested for your duty, and the main reference that the courts will use (if something goes wrong) is CAD371.

If you land in HKG from Europe two hours before you sign on, I think it would be tough to argue you were rested in keeping with the intent of the regs.

I reckon 12 hours should be enough to be justifiable.

Steve the Pirate
4th Jun 2011, 00:49
Yes, be sensible. BUT, keep one eye on the AFTLS as wellAgreed - I should have made the same point myself.

STP

Max Reheat
4th Jun 2011, 01:40
STP, thanks, point noted, I must have been 'unrested' when I read the inital post!!!

Just as an aside, back in the late 90's early 00's an FO who joined with me made a habit of doing exactly what you are talking about. He was councelled, continued to commute with minimum time between arrival as a pax and departure as rostered and was fired in the same weekend as the 49ers. He's elsewhere now (and doing OK).

Like everything in life, it's OK until you are caught!:uhoh:

Steve the Pirate
4th Jun 2011, 01:56
He was councelled, continued to commute with minimum time between arrival as a pax and departure as rosteredWhen you say "minimum time" what was he using as his yardstick? Also, where was he commuting from?

STP

Max Reheat
4th Jun 2011, 02:00
Minimum time = 2 hours on occasions,

Commuting from UK.

I'd agree with the 12 hours but jet lag should be considered too.

Steve the Pirate
4th Jun 2011, 02:22
Max

Ah, I see.

STP