PDA

View Full Version : Sabena Flight Academy

SirPulok
3rd Jun 2011, 10:40
Hi guys.
I'm new to the forum, although I've been reading for a while now. I would like to do my training at Sabena Flight Academy as of September 2012, but I would like to start the selection process later this year.
Does anybody have any feedback on the school? Could you tell me if the instructors in Belgium/Phoenix are good? Did you get a job after your training? And should I spend 14k€ more on a type raiting in that school (basic pakage: 85k€ package with a 737 or A320 TR: 99k€).

Thanks.

Jerry Lee
3rd Jun 2011, 12:40
IMHO, you could have all that for much less, even with a TR at a CAE Centre.

For example, I will go in the States so I'll have FAA and JAA/EASA licences. After that, I still don't know if I'll pay for a TR or not, but if I do, I'll have spent much less than 99k.

Anyway yes, it is a great school to train at, very professional as far as I know.

Jet Fuel Addict
7th Jun 2011, 11:07
Indeed a good school to train at, however I am not sure if it would be the best option. 85k is a lot of money and I do not believe that integrated courses are the only way into jobs.

Certainly don't do a 737 or A320 typerating for the low low price of 14k, because a rating without a job is useless and a waste of money.

I know SFA pilots are mainly going to Ryanair right now but that might stop when the last aircraft arrives next year.
Some pilots are also going to Belgian airlines such as Brussels or Jetairfly but the rate of intake is low.
Pilots are also going to things like Lionair is the East but they don't pay well at all, which makes it difficult to pay back your loan. (unless you have a wealthy sponsor...)

So all in all, SFA is a good school, but it may be worth looking to go modular to save some money. I don't think it will impede any chance of jobs.

Good luck.