PDA

View Full Version : Tiger and REX bring out the axe

PoppaJo
3rd Jun 2011, 05:58
Significant cuts from both really shows how fragile the market is at the moment.

Rex looking at chopping routes from Melbourne while Tiger dropped the axe quite hard on its network.

Tiger cuts from today
Avalon-Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast. Down to 2 flights daily to perth and sydney, CEO raised point of extra Sydney flights to 3 daily, they couldn't even manage two so he is talking spin again

Tiger cuts from August
Mackay gone
Rockhampton gone
Sydney-Brisbane gone :eek:
Sydney-Sunshine coast gone

REX looking at chopping Tullamarine to King Island, Merimbula and Griffith.

Story here Tiger Airways cuts more services | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tiger-airways-cuts-more-services/story-e6frf7jo-1226068234527)

GAFA
3rd Jun 2011, 07:23
REX are also looking at cutting Bathurst, Taree, Grafton and Moruya.

wheels_down
3rd Jun 2011, 07:37
Press release from Tiger.

TIGER TO FOCUS ON SIMPLIFYING ROUTE NETWORK AND RESTORING RELIABILITY
Tiger Airways today announces a number of network changes that will simplify its Australian flying programme. These changes will enable the airline to focus on restoring the punctuality of its operation.
As a consequence, two routes the airline currently flies from Melbourne Airport (Tullamarine) will be suspended from 01 August 2011. These are the Melbourne - Mackay and Melbourne - Rockhampton routes. In addition, the Brisbane - Sydney and Sydney - Sunshine Coast routes will also be suspended from the same date. Affected passengers on these routes will be contacted and provided with a full refund.
“These network changes will both streamline and simplify our Australian operations, enabling us to focus on combining our low fares with improved punctuality,” says Crawford Rix, CEO, Tiger Airways Australia.
The airline’s flights to Mackay and Rockhampton have in recent months been adversely affected by rising oil prices and the recent Queensland natural disasters. In addition, as the airline does not currently have a crew base in New South Wales or Queensland, operating punctual flights between Brisbane – Sydney and Sydney – Sunshine Coast has proved more challenging than anticipated.
“We know that our customers expect an on-time flight as well as a great fare from Tiger Airways. The changes that we are making to our flying programme will enable as to improve punctuality across our network and we are hopeful that as we grow the airline we will be able to restore services on the affected routes in the near future” said Mr Rix
Tiger Airways will continue to operate 14 routes across Australia, spanning every state and territory. Tiger Airways is focused on becoming Australia’s most affordable, reliable and popular airline.

Slasher
3rd Jun 2011, 08:59
Tiger Airways is focused on becoming Australia’s most affordable, reliable and popular airline.

Ha ha harrrrrrrrrrrr!! http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0040.gif http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0071.gif

Those Tiger airways marketing clowns down there always crack me up. They really do! http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0065.gif

B772
3rd Jun 2011, 09:30
I wonder if passengers who have paid for tickets on cancelled services can expect a wait of up to 12 months for a refund - Disgraceful.

Skystar320
4th Jun 2011, 01:30
I wonder if they are kicking themselves for getting rid of the Metro 23;s

Skystar320
4th Jun 2011, 02:53
Then there is Air Link that had 19 seater B1900D's

apache
4th Jun 2011, 09:50
..... enter "REXSTAR"... aka PEL-AIR, with Cadets doing ICUS, as it will be classified as a "charter'.

bankrunner
4th Jun 2011, 19:50
Some of those routes have come and gone so many times over the last 50 years with Air NSW/Hazelton/Rex it's not funny.

KRUSTY 34
4th Jun 2011, 22:35
Good point bankrunner.

One of REX's advantages is it's low debt/equity ratio. It doesn't have to carry marginal routes just because it needs the cash flow, unlike some of our previous employers eh!;)

There's a couple of factors in play here. Brinkmanship WRT the EBA is probably not one of them, but a looming crewing shortage most certainly is! REX have just promoted their last remaining DEC F/O's, so once again the shortage of experience is going to bite. Because of this alone REX will again have to cut services, so they're probably just priming the pump. It's also a bit rich for them to cry poor, seeing they have over $100 mil in cash reserves!

One thing's for sure, you won't see too many crews shedding tears over the loss of Grafton, Moruya, and the like. As usual the travelling public will be the ones to pay for REX's opposition to retaining experienced pilots.:=

Low and Fast
4th Jun 2011, 23:00
It's been said before Krusty
There is plenty of suitable DE F/O's out there which would love the opportunity to work for Rex BUT unfortunately the cadets seem to have taken priority during the last few years, a great band aid effect one could say.

mcgrath50
5th Jun 2011, 00:12
Krusty,

Does that mean pretty much all F/Os at the moment are cadets?

Last time I was flying around that part of the world there was a Rex flight that I'm fairly sure was Merimbula to Moruya flying up the coast at 2,000ft(ish). Is this normal? Must be awesome for the pax but surely burns a lot of fuel!

tourismman
5th Jun 2011, 00:39
Pelair have 2 pax metros based in BNE VH-KDO and VH-KEX they operate mainly recource fifo charters.
Only 1 B1900 left and that is VH-RUE as RUI was sold to the USA earlier this year.The B1900 of Airlink operates FIFO and is based in either DBO or BNE..

Worrals in the wilds
5th Jun 2011, 00:52
These changes will enable the airline to focus on restoring the punctuality of its operation.
I didn't know Tiger ever had "punctuality of its operation".
operating punctual flights between Brisbane – Sydney and Sydney – Sunshine Coast has proved more challenging than anticipated.
I'll say. I don't know why they bother even publishing a schedule. It would be more honest to take the old Flight West in the Channel Country approach and just say to pax 'when ya hear the aircraft overhead, come on over to the airport'.:}

If you can't make a go of a Sydney BrizVegas flight you've got issues, particularly if you're price competitive. It's the second busiest route in the country.

Jack Ranga
5th Jun 2011, 02:54
Last time I was flying around that part of the world there was a Rex flight that I'm fairly sure was Merimbula to Moruya flying up the coast at 2,000ft(ish). Is this normal? Must be awesome for the pax but surely burns a lot of fuel!

Can't speak about the fuel issue but they do it every now and again, I would think it's great PR to tell the pax you are going low for their scenic enjoyment ;)

Darwinism
5th Jun 2011, 03:15
"If you can't make a go of a Sydney BrizVegas flight you've got issues, particularly if you're price competitive. It's the second busiest route in the country."

And the one with the airports with the most inefficient traffic "management" at each end....

bankrunner
5th Jun 2011, 04:24
mcgrath50, the CT7 in the Saab is basically a helicopter engine. I have no performance figures handy but apparently its fuel burn at low altitude is pretty good.

With the ultra short hops REX often do on the Saab, where they seem to rarely get much above 9000, I suspect this helps a fair bit.

Jack Ranga
5th Jun 2011, 07:56
Can't imagine the Chief Pilot and the like would be impressed.

Bull**** (bull****)

Stiff Under Carriage
5th Jun 2011, 08:01
Jack,

So are you saying they would be impressed?

mcgrath50
5th Jun 2011, 08:16
Stiff, they were coastal, in VMC. maybe it was 3,000 or 4,000? anyway lower than normally expected for a plane of that size!

KRUSTY 34
5th Jun 2011, 09:15
bankrunner:

in a nutshell re: the CT7 and fuel flows, Altitudes, etc..

SUC:

You are correct. What I should have said was that REX have now promoted their most Junior F/O's. There are some F/O's at REX, as indeed at other airlines, who choose to remain at their base of choice and/or for whatever reason remain in the RHS. The net result however is the same.

REX are facing another critical crew shortage. Just how deep it goes will depend on how much the major airlines get their acts together over the next year or so. In any case REX's strategy of cutting routes may give them the breathing space to recruit more upgradeable F/O's. Bloody Bandaid! :rolleyes:

Gordon77
5th Jun 2011, 09:15
If REX withdraws from Bathurst, Moruya and Taree/Grafton, that could be an opportunity for Aeropelican or Brindabella to expand and replace those services with their smaller (ie 18 seat vs 34 seat) aircraft to maintain these important links to NSW regional centres.

apache
5th Jun 2011, 09:22
Can't imagine the Chief Pilot and the like would be impressed.

wow... there's a surprise!

coastal below LSALT in DAY VMC was pretty common a few years back, and was ESPECIALLY common back in the Hazo's days.

Stiff Under Carriage
5th Jun 2011, 10:09
Your probably right apache, would be great for pax and crew but if something went wrong, I don't know, maybe a mishap with a coastal no comm GA aircraft or someone that doesn't like to talk, certainly not uncommon on that route doing the same thing, would it be worth it?

Krusty, yep, net result the same and breathing space they will have, butat what cost!

SimonBl
5th Jun 2011, 10:16
If REX were less of a 'bastard' airline, maybe they'd do better. I know quite a few people who drive from Parkes to Dubbo regularly to avoid flying REX from Parkes. They are often late, are the most FERAL I have ever seen with regards to carry on luggage (7kg and they will charge you for just .5kg over - try getting a backpack, laptop, charger and a few bibs and bobs to be less that 7kg these days), rude and take ages to get bags off flights at Sydney, meaning I regularly miss my connecting flight. Their pricing for Sydney - Parkes is often comparable to how much it costs me to fly from Perth. Their reputation amongst people I speak to is rock bottom.

Don't wonder why they're supposedly struggling. Bring on competition :ugh:

B772
5th Jun 2011, 12:19
apache. How about WNY-DPO or vv in a F27 or Viscount in years gone by at 2000ft which was 1300ft below the LSALT if my memory serves me correct.

Bigbus330
5th Jun 2011, 12:33
Yep. Used to watch the afternoon F-27 flights from DPO-WYY come into view over Round Hill, one after the other (TAA&Ansett days) when I was growing up in Burnie. Obviously below the IFR LSALT (3700ft???), but day VFR, so whats the harm?
Used to do the same a few years later in the Heron/Chieftain/Bandit.:ok:

shortandsmelly
7th Jun 2011, 06:15
In any case REX's strategy of cutting routes may give them the breathing space to recruit more upgradeable F/O's.
Last time the bandaid was that the ar$e fell out of the world economy and there was a corresponding downturn in services.
Re the low-level down the coast thing - staying below the freezing level due broken deice system maybe?

Jamair
7th Jun 2011, 13:31
IFR RPT below LSALT? Even if VMC. Can't imagine the Chief Pilot and the like would be impressed.
Used to fly IFR RPT CS-CKN 3-4 times a day at 1500AGL coastal visual; the pax loved it as did I, was a spectacular trip.

Eastwest Loco
7th Jun 2011, 14:02
Bigbus 330 and B772

If I woke up late for work at WNY on the early shift I would pelt out to DPO and jump TN990 to Wynyard and come home on TN997.

The normal track was 500 feet overwater Coastal and have been down to 200 feet in low cloud.

Always flight deck unless there was a checkie onboard.

One morning the WX was that bad the skipper asked for ideas and I spied the railway line and said follow that until the Spencer Hospital and go 20 degrees to port there - he got in easily and never missed from then on in Westerly weather.

DPO to WNY was and still is the ugliest strech of air in the world in bad weather. On one trip I had to push back between the bulkheads around the jump seat and throw my elbows out. The instrument panel was vibrating so badly despite the shock absorbers that it was impossible to read the instruments.

Best all

EWL

Jack Ranga
8th Jun 2011, 09:02
Jack,

So are you saying they would be impressed?

Stiffler, I can't imagine anyone doing it if the CP was not impressed. Why draw attention to yourself?

Stiff Under Carriage
8th Jun 2011, 09:20
Fair cop. I get the message. Let's leave it at that and get back to the thread topic.