PDA

View Full Version : how to get EASA and DEGREE in the U.S.

sigfred yu
3rd Jun 2011, 00:46
Hi
i've done an aircraft maintenance engineering course of 5 semesters
in which i managed to get a diploma with a certificate of passing all the EASA B1 modules

Now im thinking of furthering my education and planning to join Embry Riddle (united states of america) for a Degree course

however .. in order to be licensed by EASA , i still have to do a 2 years practical experience in an approved part 147 organisation

the question is : how can i manage to make progress in both the degree and the EASA license at the same time in the U.S ?
meaning , is there anyway of doing the degree program and at the same time doing some practical hours which will be counted by EASA ?

i lately knew that there are 2 part 147 approved companies/training centers in the same area of embry riddle

one is (flight safety international )
and the other is (pratt and whitney) which has partnered embry riddle in the educational field .

waiting for the answers
thank you for your care
Greetings .

flame_bringer
3rd Jun 2011, 06:24
I think you had it all backwards.
The practical training ought to be done in a 145 MRO and not a 147school.
A 147 is just a training centre that offers you the EASA part 66 modules course and confers you the certificate upon completion of the course.
I'm unsure if there are 145 compliant MROs in the US since they are all under the FAA legislation.
If you want to follow through with B1 license procurment then find an employer and join as a fitter to complete your 2 years practical experience.
If you want to join design organizations...etc then carry on with your degree courses.
But most importantly find an employer to secure your employment then do it on distance studies rather than investing a lot of money on these courses for an ungaranteed industry.
I hope it's all clear now.
Good luck

sigfred yu
3rd Jun 2011, 14:54
thank you flame birnger for your quick response

so what you were saying is that i should work for an EASA part 145 approved organisation in order to do the 2 years experience (for the license)

and join a course or do distance study (for the degree)

well , concerning the 2 practical experience years , i am planning to do some of them (at least) as a student rather than a worker

well here are some questions :-

1- does the EASA count some of the practical hours i spend during Embry Riddle's degree course as practical experience hours (which are needed for getting licensed) ?

2- Pratt and Whitney is an approved organisation , and they have partnered Embry Riddle in some educational fields .. can this partnership be useful for me in my case ? how ?

looking forward for your info and advices !

flame_bringer
3rd Jun 2011, 17:15
Do you mean by ''as a student'' an unpaid full time worker?
there is no such a thing as student it's either you join as an apprentice and complete an apprenticeship, or join straight as a fitter, since you've done your B1 modules already I don't think an employer would give you the apprenticship post as you're regarded over qualified for that.
So fitter is the only option, or an unpaid fitter (which I don't see the point in doing that unless you're out of hope to find a job and it's the only optiojn to obtain a licence).
Any time spent outside the maintenance field does not count, it has to be full 2 years.
prat and whitney is not an airline or a 145 MRO, they are a manufacturer, I'm not sure if that experience counts to be frank, and I don't think that they allow someone to do unpaid work.

spannersatcx
3rd Jun 2011, 17:52
1/ no
2/ no

suggest you have a read of the ELGD (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/8355%20Section%20D_07.pdf) for experience requirements.

flame_bringer
3rd Jun 2011, 20:04
Not trying to be mean but how could you pass all your B1 modules and you're so unaware of the law, Did you not do all this in module 10 which is all about air legislation.

sigfred yu
3rd Jun 2011, 21:07
guys .. thanks for your care

dude its not being unaware .. its more like trying to find a way of having both of the advantages in the shortest possible period

the degree and the license :(

i just hope someone would come in with the best solution

flame_bringer
4th Jun 2011, 05:09
There is no other way apart from what I had mentioned, Get employed as a fitter and do your degree course on distance studies or forget about the licence and continue your college course, in the end you'll have to choose one venue, It's either working in a part 21 organization with your degree or a 145 as a maintenance engineer.
If you end up in a part 21 organization and be outside the maintenance field for over 3 years your license expires and you have to go through some complex procedure for it's renewal should you see fit to get back into maintenance again.
It's a nice thing to have a degree and a license but in the end they are completly diffrent credits and qualify for completly diffrent jobs so having both won't grant you any advantage IMO.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jun 2011, 12:39
You seem to want a degree, because it is a degree.

A degree is always "in" something. There are interesting career options for licenced engineers with a graduate education. But,what do you want to do with it? That starts to define what you want...

- Maintenance management?
- Organisation management?
- Aircraft design?
- Research?

Look into those from the position of your career aspirations. And in the meantime, remember than unless you are basically capable of doing a job, a degree is an expensive and useless luxury.

G

sigfred yu
5th Jun 2011, 18:14
yes Gengish .. i'm thinking of maintenance management
but being enrolled in a degree course is not the difficult part of it
i'm still unlicensed .. i only have the certificate of passing all EASA B1 modules
now i ought to spend 2 practical experience years before getting licensed
and again at the same time i want a degree !

is working(in an approved part 145:p organisation) & attending college at the same time considered the only way to do this ?

also i would like to thank the flame bringer for his care.

Alber Ratman
5th Jun 2011, 18:41
You do not need A DEGREE to be a licenced engineer, just the modules and the relevent experience.. That word experience, takes years and even with the minimum post a 147 course will not make you a very good one, far too much practical knowledge to gain for that. Have you worked on live aircraft yet? Being spoon fed information at college is very different from the working knowledge and experience required on a 25-30 year old 73 Classic...:E

Most maintenance managers have done the tools, LT and C Cert positions. They need that experience to do the manager bit!:E

sigfred yu
5th Jun 2011, 20:34
oh Alber .. i couldnt imagine that i would be misunderstood like this
im not saying that i want a degree in order to be licensed !
im saying that i want to gain the two advantages at the same time
THE DEGREE & THE LICENSE
the "experience" i meant is what i have to gain before being licensed
which is an "18 months" period of working in an approved part 145 organisation.. so yeah as you said the relevant practical experience
thats it
and actually i didnt say that im thinking of being a manger just straight like that ..
its just about having the qualifications to be a manager in the future

now can someone please tell me what exactly to do ?
i have a diploma+EASA B1 modules certificate (not licensed yet)
i want to go for a bachelor degree in the U.S , and at the same time i want to gain the relevant practical experience (in order to be licensed by EASA)
my choice for the degree is Embry Riddle university .. how about the practical experience ? how am i going to gain it over there in the U.S ?

any ideas ?

flame_bringer
6th Jun 2011, 12:36
First off its not 18 months its 24 months.
I've explained to you already the method to become licensed and it's blatant enough from my explanation that you have to work as a fitter in order to become licensed.
so no way to become licensed whilst studying in a college merely without being in the field, you have to jump through hoops to get it, And even if you used to work as a fitter or a certifier and had a license before going for the degree course you have to be current and consistant in the line otherwise your licence expires.
I don't know why you're not listening to me and you keep reiterating the question, is there anything ambigious in what I said above?

boeing_eng
6th Jun 2011, 13:13
The number of places in the US where work experience will by accepted by EASA is likely to be small. The only possibility is a Line position with a European airline working to JAR145 or an MRO with JAR145 approval. However, I assume you will be on some sort of student visa if you go to the US so working there will not be an option.

It seems you are trying to bite off more than you can chew here! Becoming licensed to EASA standard is a huge undertaking and by passing the modules all you have done is laid the foundation stones. If you are serious about a career in hands-on aircraft maintenance, then forget the degree for now and concentrate as others have said on getting employed as a mechanic and build-up that all important hands-on experience (where you will really learn the job!) If you still want to head in the direction of management later then a move in that direction will be possible without a degree (or you can always study for a degree at a time that suits you)

sigfred yu
6th Jun 2011, 16:09
lol , dude flame bringer .. i AM listening to what you say
but its only about trying to listen to another possible opinion
thanks once again
---
Boeing Eng
you have just smashed all my dreams by that !
being on student visa will prevents me from working in the U.S ?
are you sure ? isnt there any possible way of being employed with that ?
and where can i find those approved MROs in the U.S ? (i want a list or something please)
---
ASFKAP
for once i thought that i had a skill in editing ..
i only tried to take the attentions to the important parts of the topic
anyways , you're welcome ..

boeing_eng
6th Jun 2011, 17:13
A list of Approved Foreign Part 145 companies is at:

http://www.easa.eu.int/approvals-and-standardisation/organisation-approvals/docs/lists/Foreign_EASA_Part_145.pdf

It seems there are no US Companies on the list!

Regarding working on a US student visa, I suggest you contact your local US Embassy. You will probably find that if working is allowed, they will expect you to be enrolled full-time on a course (so quite how you expect to get the required two years maintenance experience at the same time will be interesting!)

boeing_eng
6th Jun 2011, 19:35
A list of the US 145 approved companies is at (only took a couple of mins on Google to find!)

EASA - European Aviation Safety Agency (http://www.easa.europa.eu/approvals-and-standardisation/organisation-approvals/CAO-foreign-part-145-organisations-located-in-the-united-states.php/docs/lists/docs/lists/USA_EASA_145.pdf)

Alber Ratman
6th Jun 2011, 20:39
No PDF links via my puter for any organisation.. Good old EASA!:E

sigfred yu
6th Jun 2011, 21:23
Great job guys ..

so according to my conclusions from what we've discussed .. there is a hope of having the two advantages at the same time in case all the circumstances are on my side (lets all hope so :p)
by .. lets say attending the university at day and working at night

hmmm .. way to go
anyways .. anyone can post w/e info he thinks it'd be useful
thanks to all , you all were really useful :ok: