PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Shock Symbol
16th Feb 2001, 15:29
Last year I completed a CAP 509 course, I have a UK CAA CPL IR with ME. I have also recently completed a FI(r) course. I've had no luck with either the airlines or flying schools, and so have been thinking about going to the states to get my first instructing job, I have no idea how to go about it and what the licence requirements are. I'm also curious as to know if the restriction on my FI rating works the same in the states as it does in the UK.

EX FTE
17th Feb 2001, 20:16
There is an instructor shortage in the USA. The places that seem to be feeling the biggest squeeze are the big schools - Flight Safety, Comair, Embry Riddle. Try searching on them in your search engine.

Also seen lots of ads for Sierra Academy of Aero in San Fran. They too are looking for instructors.

Basic requirement is that you hold a US CPL & CFI ratings ratings. If you have a CAA one then the yank equivalent should be a dawdle. Get the books etc in advance and bone up on the writtens.

Dont expect much pay. Instructing is the lowest level on the US ladder. Openings at regionals only pay around $25,000 so you can imagine how little instructors get!!

DeltaTango
18th Feb 2001, 04:15
true...bad pay...prob. no more than 8$/hr.

Another thing is:
BUy the......sorry, get hold of the FAR/AIM 2001 and make sure that you meet all the requirements for the FAA CPL/IR otherwise you will have to complete them(x-country, night x-c solo, night solo etc....MARK!!!!-the FAA do not regard PIC as solo!!!)

Good luck...and if you figure out a way to work on the other side of the pond.....PLEASE, I would love to know.

Thanks and best regards..

DT