PDA

View Full Version : Banned from Microsoft???

tony draper
2nd Jun 2011, 18:03
Is this possible? bought a bit of Microsoft kit a HD Lifecam studio Webcam,stick driver disk in and if checks machine for compatibility then tries to access the internet to download bloody drivers from the microsoft website??? it just keeps telling me I am not connected and I patently am connected,type microsoft into google search and I get the same from any of the microsoft website I click on
I recall this happening once before when I tried to download SP3 for XP,finished up having to download it on a neighbors machine across the road.
Any ideas?and why didn't they just put the bloody driver on the bloody disk that came with the gear.
aaaggghhhhhh!!!
:(

Spurlash2
2nd Jun 2011, 18:37
Have you tried THIS (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/lifecam-studio#support)link?

Seems you are not entirely alone, although just about everyone is happy with it. Apart from Mac users, obviously (JOKE). A user here reports:

This cam is (almost) installed to a Phenom II Hexcore system running Windows XP with SP3.
It says on the box that supported systems are Win XP (SP2+) Vista and Windows 7.. but the supplied CD does not cleanly install the software to Windows XP.. However, a visit to Microsoft Website accesses and freely downloads a more recent version of the software that is more Windows XP friendly, and a successful installation of the driver software followed.

Forgot to mention, click on the Support tab.

Saab Dastard
2nd Jun 2011, 18:48
Tony,

It sounds like you might have a virus / malware or else MS has detected (rightly or wrongly) invalid OS software - i.e. non-authentic.

SD

tony draper
2nd Jun 2011, 19:10
Just ran Malwarebytes,no probs found,def legit version of XP downloaded plenty stuff from microsoft websites in the past,just seems to be something that has happened since I upgraded the machine,googled it and as you say I am not the only one with the problem,case of to much advice, already downloaded and ran winsockxpfix with no joy.
This kit seems pretty new so no third party seems to have the drivers yet.

green granite
2nd Jun 2011, 19:37
Mr D, try: Troubleshoot failures to find new LifeCam hardware (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929087)

Keef
2nd Jun 2011, 20:00
Upgraded machine ... I recall something about Windows sometimes deciding that the upgrade may be a new machine, for which it wants you to re-register or some such. Check if Windows thinks it's not legit.

tony draper
2nd Jun 2011, 20:04
That's a microsoft website ergo I cannot get in Mr Granite.:(
I cannot do that for the same reason Mr Keef,any url starting with microsoft just tells me to buggah off metaphorically speaking.:uhoh:
Actually when I think about it the last time I had this problem was before I upgraded the machine,tiz frustrating, any other website I'm in lickity split,tiz just microsoft websites.
Will do a bit more googlizing on the problem

Spurlash2
2nd Jun 2011, 21:00
TD,

What have you done to your computer recently?

New MoBo/HD/Graphics card.. etc? Exactly now.

Have you registered/reregistered Windows?

tony draper
2nd Jun 2011, 21:08
Upgraded the whole machine,new Phenon quad core 3.4 ghz 4 gig ram,Geforce 9400 1gig graphics card new hard disk with clean instal from my winxp pro disk,ere come to think tiz a new desktop case as well so tiz really a new machine rather than a upgrade,only kit from old machine was the graphics card.
Possibly the first time I have tried to access microsoft website on this machine.
Lots of stuff about the prob on the web,reading and trying to understand,could be summat to do with my settings.
My XP disk is pretty long in the tooth,that's why I had to download SP2 then SP 3

Spurlash2
2nd Jun 2011, 22:40
So, TD,

Now we have the full story about the 'upgade'. There is a probability that you may have a virus, as Saab mentioned. This is the only fix I could find that corresponds to your situation of not being able to access the MS website.

Try THIS. (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/cannot-get-access-to-the-windows-update-site-ie/b49fd557-3f71-41ea-b8c6-fee774ca52b5?page=2)

...and you have registered your new install of Windows XP Pro SP3, haven't you?

green granite
2nd Jun 2011, 22:57
Try using a public dns server Mr D, such as 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

tony draper
2nd Jun 2011, 22:59
No luck there just got the familiar 'server not found' that I get with any microsoft website,not sure about registering the new install,dont recall the so many days message.

parabellum
3rd Jun 2011, 03:49
I keep one browser, (Opera), without any added security on it all re adware, spyware, pop-ups, cookies etc. Hardly ever gets used but when I can't get to a website I try this browser as a last resort, sometimes it works, something to do with cookies perhaps?

BOAC
3rd Jun 2011, 08:26
Mr D - do heed spurlash's post - it is often an '"I hate M$" virus that does this blocking, and can be written to 'hide' from programmes like Malwarebytes when run outside SAFE mode and sometimes even in SAFE.. Are there any other symptoms like pop-ups, redirected websites, home pages etc?

Please tell us something about your AV programme - what is it, is it updated and does it offer a boot-time scan? Have you run MBAM in SAFE? You may need to run a boot-time scan to look through your system BEFORE it gets anywhere near to M$-land

Sprogget
3rd Jun 2011, 08:41
Have you tried running CC Cleaner? Just to clear off any cookies, temp files, anything that MS may have inserted on your hard drive to say, this guy has been here already. Can't hurt. Much.

Ancient Observer
3rd Jun 2011, 10:38
Prof Drapes,
In addition to the wise advice above, (or is it below?), my XP SP3 will only allow me to access MS sites via IE. As it is XP, it is not the latest IE that works, but an earlier one. I keep forgetting that. It won't allow me to use either Firefox, which is my normal browser, nor Chrome.
As I do a daily CCleaner, I have not had the issues that Sprogs says might be there.

I dunno what bits of software MS download to "verify" my system, but maybe in your re-build you've lost that bit of MS software?

tony draper
3rd Jun 2011, 13:34
Right gentlemen,a progress report,dug a old 180 gig hard disk out me junk box,formatted same loaded operating sytem,motherboard/graphic card drivers ,clicked on tinternet,into microsoft downloaded SP2 stuck webcam driver disk in,it downloaded drivers and said HD webcam is working just spiffing.
So tiz obviously summat to do with the operating system on the other hard disk, got a lot of stuff on that one I do not wish to lose though.
Slightly off topic,this machine has a Sata hard disk.(the one that wont talk to microsoft) the spare (the one that will talk to microsoft) is a IDE disc,question?,I have the spare configured as Master but with both hard disks connected no matter what boot sequence I select in bios,the machine will only boot from the Sata disk,is this normal.?
Was thinking of using this disk as master and thr original Sata disk as slave in order to copy stuff across.
Anyway the webcam works fine,and is stunningly good in 1080p HD,so thanks for the help chaps.
:)
Mr Observer I tried using IE and firefox neither would let me in to microsoft,anyway tiz sorted now thanks,
orf to download sp3 now

Spurlash2
3rd Jun 2011, 14:39
Have you set the jumpers on the small hard drive to slave? there should be a diagram on the drive that shows the position of the jumpers.

Set the jumpers on your main hard drive to master, again look at the diagram on the hard drive for jumper settings.

Connect the master drive to the end of the ribbon cable and the slave drive to the connector that is part way down the ribbon cable.

Edit: sorry, old drive as master, new drive as slave.

green granite
3rd Jun 2011, 15:05
You should be able to set the IDE to be the boot drive in the bios Mr D, the only thing I can think of is that there's a IDE DVD drive or summat that's confusing things somewhere. You could try using a different SATA channel say no2 to see if that helps.
Edited to add: it's probably a silly question but you are saving the bios settings before you exit aren't you? :E

tony draper
3rd Jun 2011, 15:43
There is indeed a Sata DVD drive,however the single IDE socket has nowt else on it,it is the IDE drive I want as master the Sata drive as slave,I know about jumpers ie disk is master or slave,the jumpers are set on the IDE disk as master the Sata disk left as it was,select boot from the IDE disk in bios setup and it still boots from the sata disk.
Think I have had this problem before,cant remeber if it was ever resolved,
That's my problem,I generally manage to fix probs, been pottering about wi the buggas for quarter of a century but the next time they occurr I can never remember what I did last time.:uhoh:

Ancient Observer
3rd Jun 2011, 15:46
When stuff like that happens to me, I have to call in the local expert. He and I agree that the probable cause is the HP software that I have on the pc.

Once we've established that bond of hatred of HP software, he fixes the system.

oldbeefer
3rd Jun 2011, 16:05
TD. I reckon that as you changed so much hardware, windoze is treating it like a new machine. That would normally mean that it needs activating. Have a look in System Tools - it will say there if so (or look in the bottom right-hand corner for a pair of gold keys).

green granite
3rd Jun 2011, 17:10
That's my problem,I generally manage to fix probs, been pottering about wi the buggas for quarter of a century but the next time they occurr I can never remember what I did last time.

Know the feeling well Tony. :(

Have a read of this and see if it helps: How to Set Up Dual Boot After You Install Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153762)

Spurlash2
3rd Jun 2011, 18:10
Worth a look, I suppose. LINK (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm)to fix boot.ini snags.

TD

Do both drives have XP installed?

tony draper
3rd Jun 2011, 19:31
Yes both Hard disks have windows XP and all the necessary drivers on them,the machine will boot from either and run quite happily.

Spurlash2
3rd Jun 2011, 20:08
So, are you saying you have both drives in the same machine and you have a choice to dual boot??? Can't say I'd have 2 copies of the same OS on the same machine. Unless of course it was a Virtual OS, of course.

Any way, to go back to the start:

You now have your HD cam working.
You can now access the MS website.
You can access both drives.
Windows is activated.

Can you confirm that you no longer have a problem? :)

tony draper
3rd Jun 2011, 20:19
I still have the problem with the SATA disk re it wont let me access microsoft websites,when I say I can boot from either disk I mean I unplug the Sata disk and plug in the ide disk it boots fine likewise if I reverse the process.
The sata disk works just fine I can access every other website in the world,everything runs hunky dory on it I just cant access microsoft website,like wise with this ide disk I created yesterday it works fine plus I can access microsoft websites,
Tiz academic anyway have made up my mind to invest in windows 7,be next month though, got me water rates to pay this month,bit puzzled as to whether to go for the 64 bit version or the cheerfull 32 bit one though being that the new beast I built has four CPUs.

mustpost
3rd Jun 2011, 21:22
Hi Tony, like me you go for top end stuff! just make sure all the progs you intend to use in the next few years (and are using currently) will work under W7 64 bit - obviously peeps are catching up quick, but there will be some gaps...:8

green granite
3rd Jun 2011, 21:55
If you can Mr D goes for the W 7 pro version that way any old legacy programs can be run under XP in a virtual M/C

tony draper
5th Jun 2011, 08:50
A further interesting development,dug out another spare IDE Hard Disk from the junk box formatted, loaded windows, kit drivers ect,configured it as slave bunged it in machine with Sata disk as master,booted to bios setup,no sign of this new IDE slave in the boot device selection page,rebooted and it is sitting there happy as a pig in clarts in the My Computer Page? I can access it even copy stuff betwixt the two hard disks,is this normal?this is the first machine I have built using Sata disks,nothing urgent about this,one is just pottering about out of curiosity.

Mr Optimistic
5th Jun 2011, 13:34
Ah, now you are entering BOAC-land.

Bushfiva
5th Jun 2011, 15:38
In a command window, what happens when you ping microsoft.com or tracert microsoft.com?

Mr Optimistic
5th Jun 2011, 16:00
Surely you had to reactivate Windows after that scale of change ?