PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Turncoats - we all know one

CaptCloudbuster
2nd Jun 2011, 05:07
If you have worked in the Aviation game long enough you will definitely have come across a fellow Pilot / Engineer / Cabin Crew who will do whatever it takes to look after number one.

Like me you probably wonder what makes them tick, how could they possibly live with themselves after the choices they make. I've often wondered if it is a condition which is predisposed in the very fibre of Aviation Professionals in a far greater proportion to the general population.

A prime example in the QANTAS ranks are those amongst us who headed our AIPA as President before switching immediately to become servants to QF Management. We still have on QREWROOM one such individual re contracted as a consultant, at the pleasure of the Chief Pilot, who continues to stir the pot.

I am currently reading an excellent book titled "If This is a Man" (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/If-This-is-Man-Primo-Levi/9780349100135?b=-3&t=-20#Fulldescription-20), by Primo Levi.

It is the memoir of an Auschwitz survivor. He was a Chemist and his writings take on a scientific examination at times to the human condition he observed.

The following extract bears powerful witness to the nature of Humanity.

The Jewish prominents form a sad and notable human phenomenon.In them converge present, past and atavistic sufferings, and the tradition of hostility towards the stranger makes of them monsters of asociality and insensitivity.

They are the typical product of the German Lager: if one offers a position of privilege to a few individuals in a state of slavery, exacting in exchange the betrayal of a natural solidarity with their comrades, there will certainly be someone who will accept. He will be withdrawn from the common law and will become untouchable: the more power that is given, the more he will be consequently hateful and hated.When he is given the command of a group of unfortunates, with the right of life or death over them, he will be cruel and tyrannical, because he will understand that if he is not sufficiently so, someone else, judged more suitable, will take over his post.

Mr. Hat
2nd Jun 2011, 05:37
If your previous union leaders just happen by accident to end up in management suddenly you might want to have a re think of you union as a whole. If there is a trend to this you might want to have a serious re think.

Luke SkyToddler
2nd Jun 2011, 05:45
No matter how bad you think things are with your industrial relations, I think you need to get a bit of perspective before you start throwing around comparisons to Auschwitz

LeadSled
2nd Jun 2011, 05:57
Folks,
Since the 1940's, going from the union leadership to Flight Operations management (and in one case, General Manager) could be called "traditional".
It is not an isolated occurrence, and not necessarily a bad thing.
Qantas present severe overall problems are not the product of Flight Operations, as most of us know, and even a few pollies and the media are beginning to wake up>
Tootle pip!!

CaptCloudbuster
2nd Jun 2011, 06:11
Luke Sky Toddler.

You have misunderstood my intent. Primo Levi himself states in his preface that his book has been written to furnish documentation for a quiet study of certain aspects of the human mind.

These aspects are universal.

maggot
2nd Jun 2011, 07:31
If your previous union leaders just happen by accident to end up in management suddenly you might want to have a re think of you union as a whole. If there is a trend to this you might want to have a serious re think.

after the last one I think the company is having a serious re think about this practice... :E :}

teresa green
3rd Jun 2011, 12:00
Oh man, I am a expert on "brown nosers" I have met them all. I have never quite figured out which one that got me the most. The, its my mortgage, or its the kids schooling, or my wife is upset, or probably one of the best, my dog needs a operation on his leg, I cannot risk it. In 89 we heard them all. Fortunately the rest of us did not have a mortgage, kids or a wife or even a dog. Or so it would seem. 89 or 2011, makes no difference.

Evanelpus
3rd Jun 2011, 12:26
Another thread that gives people a stick to hit Qantas with.

It's all getting very tedious boys and girls.

Arnold E
3rd Jun 2011, 12:29
Another thread that gives people a stick to hit Qantas with.

It's all getting very tedious boys and girls.

Then dont look.

Evanelpus
3rd Jun 2011, 12:38
Then dont look.

Funny man.

Arnold E
3rd Jun 2011, 12:41
Funny man.

I see your still here

Evanelpus
3rd Jun 2011, 12:50
Punctuation is not your strong suit. Dont should be don't and your (in this case) should be you're.

Now there's a good fellow, get nurse to give you your (this is correct) medication and make sure she turns off the PC before you go to sleep.

Night night.

Arnold E
3rd Jun 2011, 13:14
Funny man.