PDA

View Full Version : Valiant Wing Tanks

Cracker Box
1st Jun 2011, 18:07
Hi, my first post on here! :)

I'm trying to clarify the use of long range under wing tanks on the Grapple Valiants and would be grateful for any insights.

Its pretty clear that the tanks weren't used at all on the first 'Grapple' tests in May-June '57 - aircraft also in full colour markings with truncated tail cones.

Hubbard, in his book Operation 'Grapple', mentions that the tanks were used from 'Grapple X' onwards: Nov '57-Sept '58. It is known that the tanks were removed on arrival at Christmas Island as this images shows:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo215/daveyblade/valiantxmasislandtanksbeingremoved.jpg

My question is, did the tank pylons stay on or did they come off too? I haven't seen any photos of any era Valiants with pylons but no tanks.

The use of the tanks seems to have roughly coincided with the use of low-viz markings (pink-lilac roundels and serials) - can anyone confirm?

Other than the above, there seem to be few photographs of the 'low-viz' aircraft on the island and non that I have come across with their tanks removed, anyone?

On a related note does anyone know if the large under wing serial numbers were deleted with the adoption of low-viz?

Hope someone can shed some light.

Cheers,

Dave

ValiantXD818
2nd Jun 2011, 21:28
Hi

The Valiant U/W tanks were easily removed either by the Neils Gantry as shown in the photograph, or the Simons Bomb Hoist. They both operated in the same way but had different gauge calibration so you had to be carefull not to confuse the pressure settings. All "Dropable" equipment was retained on the airframe with a pressure setting of three G. That is to say that the weight of the Store [whether u/w tanks or weapons] was known, multiplied by three and then uploaded to the airframe. When fully raised into position, hydraulic pressure was increased until the three G figure was attained. Though the u/w tanks were not jettisonable after 1960, prior to that they had been jettisonable by operating the Emergency Clear Wing Switch on the overhead fuel panel.

Whenever u/wing tanks were removed, the Stalks [as we called them NOT pylons!] were removed if the aircraft was to fly. They were simply unbolted from the strong points underneath the wings, and a hydraulic servicing platform called a Safety Raiser was used to support the weight of the stalk. The Safety Raiser would be raised to the required height, but it only descended to ABOUT shoulder height. The stalks then had to be lifted off.

The u/w serial numbers were deleted / not re-applied post low vis respray. Images of XD816 are incorrect. This aircraft was re-painted / sprayed for a 543 Sqn reunion after the Valiants had long departed to that great aerodrome in the sky. It was retained for a number of years and was the last Valiant flying. It never served on 543 Sqn in whose colours it is shown. They also applied the 543 Sqn badge to the tailfin. Close inspection of the aircraft on a Fly By shows the ser nos still in the pre low vis Black!

Low Vis was not a term applied to the aircraft. It was simply Anti-Flash markings, either pre or post tone down [Low Vis].

I have attached some images to clarify the points under discussion.

Pete...

It would appear that I am unable to attach images so if you email me I will send the info that you are looking for.
1. XD816 Fly By.
2. Tail Cones fitted to Valiant aircraft.
3. Neils Gantry.
4. Simons Bomb Hoist.
5. Underwing Stalk in section.
6. U/W Tank.
7. Valiant conventional weapon loading [several images]
8. Valiant fuel panel, pre / post jettison mod.
9. Safety Raiser servicing platform
10. Any other queries requiring answers / images!

[email protected]

Cracker Box
3rd Jun 2011, 09:46
Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere, I will email you, thanks :).

Fareastdriver
3rd Jun 2011, 16:22
According to some croaking skeletons inprisoned in my dining room walls the Valiant was designed with wing bomb carriers in mind. These could take up to 10,000lbs of ordinance and is why 12,500 lbs of fuel could be strapped on each Valiant's wing. During routine flying the C of G was the copilot's job. Fuel was used in such a way that the C of G stayed fairly constant but more importantly the wing root stresses were minimised. Running the fuselage tanks for 10,000lbs and then the wings for 5,000lbs was the standard procerdure. The underwing tanks had no perceptable C og G shift but keeping them fairly full was a prime requirement.

On approaching you home base, especially on a Friday evening, it was a requirement to carry out circuit training etc, until the fuel load was down to 10,000lbs. However one could not do touchdowns with the underwings containing fuel. To prevent this the checklist required you to jettison the 'remaining dregs' of fuel from the underwings as you joined the descent at 30,000 ft. Skilful fuel management would ensure that at that point you had just over 10,000 lbs in the fuslage and wing tanks so all the remaining, anything between 10-20,000 lbs would be heaved over the side. This ensured a straight in ILS and full stop and your normal position in the bar at TGIF.

Never had any complaints from the captain or the rest of the crew.