PDA

View Full Version : Westar helicopter operation.

griffothefog
1st Jun 2011, 10:09
Anyone got the scoop on the living/working conditions for this crowd?

Obviously they are shouting the salary out there to prospective pilots, but what are the other t's and c's like, particularly the dig's. :ok:

VEMD
2nd Jun 2011, 09:30
Check your PM

maeroda
2nd Jun 2011, 11:58
VEMD,

would you like to PM also to me any info you have about them?
I'm also interested in that operation indeed, and they contacted recently me for some brief infos about me...

Thank you for your kindness

Maeroda

pitchlink
2nd Jun 2011, 17:42
Griffo, check your PMs

Peter PanPan
2nd Jun 2011, 17:48
Heard Weststar had all their vacancies filled in.:oh:

MyTarget
2nd Jun 2011, 19:46
Heard Weststar had all their vacancies filled in

That will be the same person who told you about NHV aswell then! :ugh:

Peter PanPan
2nd Jun 2011, 20:50
Would think that Richard Nicolau and Nana know what they are talking about :rolleyes:

Perhaps you wish to share with us what you know?

MyTarget
3rd Jun 2011, 00:23
No not really you seem to know all there is to know about the market place!:D

Peter PanPan
3rd Jun 2011, 12:59
@MyTarget: Am I your target? Did I miss some new rotary job post announcing vacancies for "Trolls" for Pprune? I believe I didn't and you probably ought to get a life! :bored:

As a quick remark: Weststar is currently not offering any co-pilot positions to foreign nationals. If you have at least 100 hours P1 time on the AW139 you should be fine:ok:

SASless
3rd Jun 2011, 17:36
Show me an international touring helicopter operation that doesn't generate its own vacancies on a periodic basis, and I'll show you an international touring helicopter operation that is no longer a going concern.

A second Truism....

If you are on a good lick in the helicopter industry....enjoy it while you can!

Because it isn't going to last very long! Never will all the important things be there...Pay, Job Security, Lifestyle, Location, Equipment, Tasking...something is goinig to go down the hill and as "UM Lifting" so correctly states....Turnover rates spike!

There is always an Operator that will underbid your outfit for the work!

Quickdraw
6th Jun 2011, 13:16
Hey Guys, are you able to PM me as well with any details?

Cheers.

QD

Snarlie
6th Jun 2011, 13:56
Would that be the Richard Nicolau who ended up in Stavanger when meant to be heading for Sumburgh? Best read the small print very carefully.

wwingrotor
22nd Aug 2011, 09:59
I'm also interested in Weststar operations: roster, pay etc...anyone have info, please PM.

Rotorbody
25th Aug 2011, 02:57
Would any of the Weststar crew care to enlighten us about the operation? Info on conditions at the various bases would be good too.

CDN139
26th Jan 2012, 16:19
I too would appreciate a PM with WestStar employment info for 139 Capt.

appleater
27th Jan 2012, 04:26
Does anyone know if a malaysian license is required? In their 'available vacancies' section of the website it is a requirement for captains, but for co-pilots it says 'Hold a Valid Commercial pilot’s licence for helicopters, Or higher category, acceptable to the Malaysian Aviation Authorities'.

Anyone know if an FAA certificate is 'acceptable to the Malaysian Aviation Authority'?

spinwing
27th Jan 2012, 05:15
Mmmm ...

The word 'was' .... that the only foreign licences acceptable to the Malaysian authorities (other than Malaysian licences of course) were either JAR ATPLH or FAA ATPLH ... WITH AB/AW 139 type ratings already on them.

The above info of course subject to retrospective amendment as necessary ;)

Cheers

Peter PanPan
27th Jan 2012, 07:19
If you check their DCA website, Cpt. Yahaya provides useful info about that topic:

DCA may validate a pilot's licence for purpose of public transport for a period of the licence validity or not exceeding a period of six months (Maximum of 2 years for Co-pilot)

A non-Malaysian licence holder seeking regular employment as an aircrew on Malaysian registered aircraft will not be issued with a Certificate of Validation unless he/she meets the term of conversion of non-Malaysian Pilot’s Licences (Aeroplane or Helicopter) of ICAO Contracting States.

For the purpose of applying for a Certificate of Validation, a foreign pilot licence's holder must meet the following requirements:
(a) a valid Medical Certificate.
(b) a valid Radio telephony Operator's licence.
(c) a valid Certificate of Test/Aircraft Rating.
(d) a valid Instrument Rating (if applicable).
(e) a valid Instructor's Rating (if applicable).
(f) pass Malaysian Air Law, Flight Rules and Procedures examination, except flight for paragraph 2.
(g) obtain licence authentication from country of issue
(h) clear police security vetting.
Note:
1. The above Certificates/Ratings must be issued by a single licensing
authority.
2. DCA may reject the application if the applicant is not proficient in English language.

Source: http://www.dca.gov.my/Division/Flight_Operation/Document/Requirement%20For%20Application%20Certificate%20of%20Validat ion.pdf

appleater
28th Jan 2012, 04:47
thanks for the info on the licensing question. I really appreciate it.

does anyone have any info on the schedule? do most of the pilots live in malaysia, or commute from somewhere abroad?

I'm currently living in the US and flying for a tour operator but looking to move into (international touring) offshore work as the schedule and pay are desirable. I'm researching any AW-139 / S-76 operators I can find and hoping to get picked up as a co-pilot.

I currently have about 2500 total time with experience in the EC-130, AS-350, and BH-206.

If anyone has any info on operators utilizing the 139/76 that may be hiring, please send me a PM.

Thanks

industry insider
28th Jan 2012, 06:36
Appleater

I don't think you will have much luck with a Co-Pilot position at Weststar, I would imagine that preference for lower experience positions would be given to national pilots.

In my many years in the industry, I have almost never known (with the exception of the majors) expatriate touring Co-Pilot positions.

You may be wiser looking at hiring on with one of the US GOM operators as a Co-Pilot to increase hours and experience then you could subsequently look at Captain positions internationally?

Peter PanPan
28th Jan 2012, 08:14
@ Appleater: one other obstacle you may bump into is Offshore time minimum requirements by the customer (i.e. BP, Total, ESSO...etc), you may meet their TT requirements, PIC requirements but may not have their Offshore and minimum time on type requirements (Typically 50 hours for SIC) and ME time (Sometimes 250 hours)

Industry insider advice sounds wise, aim for the GOM, tick that Offshore time box and ideally the ME box as well. Good luck to you.

Garfs
28th Jan 2012, 12:52
The foreign license validation thing normally
Only applies if you already have a job to go to from what I have seen.

If not, you will have to convert which can be long and painful. Frm my expereince the DCA were not very helicopter friendly. When
I wrote in they gave me the approval letter applicable to fixed wing pilots, which states I must fly 35 hours in a twin for a basic Malaysian CPL(H), even tho I
Clearly stated I was a helicopter pilot. So paying for 35 hrs in an AS-355 for a basic CPLH was pretty ridiculous and DCA would not budge on this for many months.

Only after my employer spoke to them did they "allow" me to
Do my conversion in an R44 instead. However all my exams were fixed wing exams too. Many totally not relevant to me at all as a helicoter pilot. So just something to be aware of when dealing with the Malaysian DCA.

appleater
28th Jan 2012, 16:57
industryinsider,

Thanks for the feedback. Hiring on in the gulf is definitely on my radar, but I'm trying to explore the 'direct hire' avenue first as this is my end goal - and I'd rather 'job hop' as little as possible.

When you say 'with the exception of the majors', are you inferring that the bigger multi-national operators may hire on someone such as myself as an SIC - but trying to find such a position in a company that operates in 1 specific location/market is going to be more difficult?

If so, can you reply with a few companies you would consider 'majors' that I should be investigating? I'm currently thinking about CHC, and Evergreen but would like to hear your take on some of the other companies out there that may be interested in someone with my skill-set.

I really do appreciate the feedback~

appleater
29th Jan 2012, 01:57
just noticed this post went on to an 2nd page. Peter PanPan, and Garfs - thanks for your feedback, as well.

The more i research, the more it seems like spending a few years in the Gulf of Mexico will likely be the next step - but as I stated, I'm going to give it a try going international first as this is where I truly want to be - and if nothing pans out, I'll head south.

I'll keep you all posted~

industry insider
29th Jan 2012, 02:21
Apple

Basically yes, that is what I have experienced. Someone like Bristow or CHC will send an aircraft and crew(s) to an international location but with the proviso that they start to train local Co-Pilots (initially) and technicians to satisfy local labor regulations. Eventually, a local capability is established doing away with most expatriates.

Weststar needs experienced AW139 Captains because the customer demands it. There is no shortage of local experienced (just not in type) Captains and First Officers who will be ready once they have gained experience in the AW139. Your chances of being employed as a foreign First Officer in Malaysia are essentially nil.

Your best long term chances are to become an experienced Captain on twins with an Instrument Rating. The best way would be to approach one of the GOM operators and tell them that you are seeking a position as a First Officer on a twin.

Most of the GOM operators who are not already established internationally are also dipping their toes into international markets (albeit slowly).
If you have the experience to satisfy the oil company's Aviation Standards (which you will have to build in the GOM) you would be surprised at the opportunities that may spring up in the next 5 years, maybe even with the company you would join to avoid "job hopping".

Bristow of course is already an established international and GOM company and would have international vacancies from time to time, likewise, CHC. You could also try PHI and or ERA, both of whom seem to be very interested in International expansion.

appleater
29th Jan 2012, 05:47
Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

bellwrench
30th Jan 2012, 08:24
Anyone have any information about Westar and their need for engineers? I hear there are a whack of you Brits over there... any chance of spreading the wealth to a colonialist? ;)

Humane Maverick
16th May 2013, 16:44
Hi everyone!

A friend of mine is just to apply for the capt. position offered by West Star.

He´d like to get some feedback about the Company, how serious they are, and alll those things (compared with the "Big Ones").

Thanks in advance.

helimutt
17th May 2013, 23:04
Weststar are a relatively big player in the far east now. Lot of very experienced Uk pilots have considered them good enough to head over there.

Timmyt asked about a 139 rating? It'll probably cost you about 60kEuro, try Augusta in Italy or CAE in New Jersey???

Mark Six
18th May 2013, 00:09
I'm also considering Weststar but finding it difficult to get any info from an expat pilot's perspective. If there are any current Weststar touring pilots willing to share their knowledge of the company please pm me.

meanttobe
2nd Jun 2013, 09:56
Good win for Weststar. Lot of interest in this contract with both CHC and BRS bidding.
Weststar signs first contract outside Malaysia | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://helihub.com/2013/05/30/weststar-signs-first-contract-outside-malaysia/)

WLM
4th Jun 2013, 01:17
What happened to MHS operation there?

he1iaviator
16th Jul 2013, 08:40
Anyone who may be interested in working with Weststar; this would be a jolly good time to submit or resubmit your CV, or drop an email.

Thorond0r
16th Jul 2013, 19:08
The west star openings seem to be for 139 rated pilots/copilots? Any chance to be hired for the 365 as a copilot?

gulliBell
17th Jul 2013, 12:02
Anyone who may be interested in working with Weststar; this would be a jolly good time to submit or resubmit your CV, or drop an email.

I dropped them an email with CV a month ago, no reply what-so-ever...

Garfs
17th Jul 2013, 12:07
A colleague of mine was recently offered a position with Weststar. On paper it looks good.

Bravo73
17th Jul 2013, 14:42
On paper it looks good.

In practice, less good. Apparently.

Adroight
18th Jul 2013, 14:02
Gullibell. Do you actually have a 139 type rating?

rotorboy
18th Jul 2013, 14:49
Can someone share roughly what the Weststar package is ?

Tazzz
18th Jul 2013, 15:06
Good question Rotorboy.

And would that have anything to do with the Mauritania contract?

Savoia
5th Sep 2013, 17:08
Weststar Takes Delivery of Additional 139

AgustaWestland today announced that Weststar Aviation Services of Malaysia has taken delivery of an additional AW139, bringing the total delivered of the type to 18 in support of Weststar’s offshore oil & gas transportation and VIP transport services.

The aircraft, which was built at AgustaWestland’s Philadelphia facility in the United States, was accepted by Tan Sri Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim, Weststar Group Managing Director from William Hunt, CEO, AgustaWestland Philadelphia, during a ceremony held today.

In total, Weststar Aviation Services has ordered 30 helicopters from AgustaWestland since 2010, comprising 24 AW139s, four AW189s and two AW169s.

Weststar Aviation Services Adds to Fleet with Latest AW139 Acceptance | AgustaWestland (http://www.agustawestland.com/news/weststar-aviation-services-adds-fleet-latest-aw139-acceptance)

Polop
19th Sep 2013, 21:19
Any feedback regarding this company? They contacted me few months ago, salary seems to be good, with a 2 years completion bonus:confused: A woman runing that company? any feedback very welcome, I need to think twice before make the move, heard that Malaysia is a muslim country and found strange that a Lady lead that company...:suspect:

he1iaviator
20th Sep 2013, 01:27
Polop.
I think you need to do a bit more research on Islam. In Malaysia many women hold senior positions; for example the central bank chairperson is female. That having been said, Weststar is not run by a lady. The head of HR is however, and it may have been her that contacted you.

Polop
20th Sep 2013, 07:23
I been working in other Islamic countries and I'm familiar with the Islam, what I'm trying to confirm is what I've heard about that woman, apparently she's the one wearing the trousers in that company, and many (not good) things about how she runs that operation.
Cheers

rumline
5th Oct 2013, 05:13
With both 139 and S76C++ as well as <7000 total time of RW Multi, most of which is offshore, I'd be both interested and grateful if anyone might pm me regarding working conditions, safety culture and 'ballpark' renumeration at Weststar.
I've heard some pretty good rumours whilst cruising to and fro and my current company...well....it's just not what it used to be.

Savoia
10th Oct 2013, 15:24
US Equity Firm Buys into Weststar

Oct 9 (Reuters) - KKR & Co will buy a minority stake in Weststar Aviation Services in a deal that gives the U.S. private equity firm its first deal in Malaysia and a piece of a company that arranges helicopter charter flights for the region's energy sector.

KKR said in a statement that the two companies will take part in a signing ceremony on Thursday, though the firm did not disclose the price it is paying. People familiar with the matter said KKR will pay around 650 million ringgit ($203.41 million).

KKR to buy minority stake in Malaysian helicopter services firm Weststar | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/09/kkr-malaysia-idUSL4N0HZ1SF20131009)

Weststar to Expand Overseas Operations

UALA LUMPUR, Oct 10 (Bernama) -- Weststar Aviation Services Sdn Bhd targets to commission at least 10 of its helicopters overseas within six months.

Its Group Managing director Tan Sri Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim said the company had participated in a few international tenders and was expecting positive results in one to two months' time.

BERNAMA - Weststar Aviation Aims To Commission At Least 10 Helicopters Overseas In Six Months (http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v7/ge/newsgeneral.php?id=984696)

meanttobe
10th Oct 2013, 15:54
KKR to buy minority stake in Malaysian helicopter services firm Weststar (http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL4N0HZ1SF20131009?irpc=932)

Good move by KKR. Weststar have just broken into East Africa and has current ops in South East region.

he1iaviator
11th Nov 2013, 02:49
The aforementioned HR person, reportedly wearing the trousers at Weststar, will be leaving at the end of November.
Due to rapid expansion suitably qualified AW139 pilots and engineers are needed for touring positions both within and outside Malaysia. CVs to Richard Nicolau if AW139 OGP qualified.

sotheysay
11th Nov 2013, 08:07
The aforementioned Mr Richard is associated with a Weststar partner thatl is discontinuing its partnership with WAS early next year.
I suggest all applications go direct to WAS itself....
All Rumour's of course........

he1iaviator
11th Nov 2013, 09:24
Absolutely no truth in that rumour I'm afraid. Richard is the correct first point of contact.

hownow
15th Dec 2013, 15:00
Hi.
Does anybody have any up to date info please on Weststar for offshore helicopter pilot with s76 and aw139 ratings, and 15k hours?
Decent company.? Likely bases, pay and conditions, travel, working and social conditions....
I would be most grateful for any info from anyone who actually has, or is working for them. I am finding very little info anywhere online, and have no contacts in that area, and would love to hear it 'from the horses mouth'
Regards, and Thanks very much in advance....
PM or on line would be greatly appreciated...

Camp Freddie
15th Dec 2013, 19:42
Hownow, almost 9 years registered and this is your first post, respect 😄

Email Richard Nicolau, he will be able to tell you all that stuff

Luke76a
1st May 2014, 16:09
Hi everybody, i am evaluating some A139 CPT positions. I'am looking for some more informations about Westar and Zenon Areo emplyment. Does anybody have personal experiences with those operators? do you know how much a 139 Captain is paid? How is life during roster period? what do you think about those emplyment?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer... Thank you in advance..
Luca

Luke76a
3rd May 2014, 22:40
I see... Zenon.aero is not actually an operator. Then just do recruitment for other companies? Thank you Max for your advise

out of ophirca
3rd Jul 2014, 08:00
Hows it?

I know this gets asked form time, does anyone have any current info on working for WS. Ive been talking with HR but am in search of some boots on the ground beta.

Living and working conditions in Thailand and Malaysia? I assume most of the flying in Malaysia is out of Kerteh.

What can you expect in Malaysia? Thailand?

How long is the process to get on line?

What can you expect to fly hours wise?Shift? Year?

I have heard the health cover doesnt work in the US. Any one with real info on this. I also heard it is changing.

Any rumors on where the next expansion is? Mocambique keeps getting thrown around.

Any info greatly appreciated as I want to make an informed decision

Feel free to PM me .

Cheers

OutOfOphrica

Camp Freddie
3rd Jul 2014, 14:55
See my post #52 above

maeroda
3rd Jul 2014, 15:43
Hello Luca,

send me PM and will reply shortly.
regards

tottigol
3rd Jul 2014, 19:40
Luca, Luca chi?

maeroda
3rd Jul 2014, 20:15
Luke76a sign is Luca.

hownow
3rd Jan 2015, 19:10
Still nothing :-(

Still looking for info from somebody who works/ has actually worked there.

I don't know whether there's a code of secrecy or they chop off your 'cyclic' if you tell anyone, or maybe it's the best job on the planet and so no-one wants to say.

Either way would really appreciate some info as per t's and c's and professional and social aspects of working for WestStar 'from the working horses mouth'

In fact ANY info at all would be a great start, and I would be most grateful.

76/139 etc TT 15k hours.

helimutt
3rd Jan 2015, 20:11
Touring positions, pay a lot more than CHC (CHC still pay in CAD$ and hence their pilots lose more than 10% with exchange rate to US$).
6 week rotation I believe. Malaysian / Thai tax should be paid. 139 ratings required though. You'd need to do Air Law and Human Factors exams for Thailand. Work permit and licence based on your present licence. Renewed each year.
They have some great guys working there (know a few of them) from various previous places.
Heard good and bad things but more good. They are teamed with Local operator in Thailand and operate out of Songhkla in the South.

HeliHub Weststar starts seven year offshore contract in Thailand (http://helihub.com/2014/02/07/weststar-starts-seven-year-offshore-contract-in-thailand/)

NoFixedAbode
6th Jan 2015, 07:42
Hi hownow, sent you a PM.

aw139pic
17th May 2015, 08:54
All expat pilots flying in Thailand for WS/UOA - will be layed off during this year. The first group are leaving in July. Only the ones working for WS earlier, and transfered to Thailand, will now be able to go back to WS's operation in Malaysia. Seems like WS's expantion has stopped - eventually.

tasspook
19th May 2015, 04:07
One has to keep in mind the WS/UOA situation in Thailand is being politically driven, with the Thai pilot union doing what they do best, whine about everything to the government. If they're not careful, they're going to cut off their noses to spite their faces. How long do you think it would take PTT to react if and/or when flights weren't able to launch due to lack of qualified crew?

It is going to be very interesting to see how this one plays out.

aw139pic
19th May 2015, 06:22
Agree .. everything is just a matter of time if things does not go according to plan. For the whole area (South China Sea) mininmum requirements for captains are500 hours offshore - decribed as "oil & gas". It's just a matter of opening a logbook or two, and this issue will change everything. But someone needs to speak up.

streetwalker06
30th Aug 2016, 12:05
Word to the wise for anyone currently being recruited by Weststar for AW139 or AW189 ex-pat positions. Your contract terms and conditions(i.e. pay, rotation, travel) will not be honored nor recognized by the current management operating the company. In the past 12 months pay cuts have amounted to as much as 35%, rotations arbitrarily changed, and travel cut. At any point during your employment you can likely expect a pay cut or rotation change in order to "manage our costs better." As well, maintenance has plummeted with the mismanagement of company resources and engineers. Expect a third world level of maintenance on an already overworked/underpaid maintenance staff. Your "local" maintenance staff is sorely under qualified to maintain complex equipment of any variety.

Same again
30th Aug 2016, 14:30
I think we all know that there are people who would work there for free, particularly in the present downturn. As long as that is the situation then conditions will continue to deteriorate. Note the West Africa thread and what is happening there. They are wielding the axe because they know they can get away with it.