PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi rotorheads - can an Aussie fly in NZ ?

Arrrj
1st Jun 2011, 09:16
Hello kiwi helicopter brothers,

Can an Aussie (s) with a (H) licence come to NZ and fly around without any extra paperwork ?

We have two machines owned in Aus and flown by us, that we are considering shipping to NZ for a heli-tour of NZ.

We don't wish to earn money from the adventure, just have fun.:E

I would appreciate your help and any hints / advice you can offer.

Thanks
Arrrj :ok:

John Eacott
1st Jun 2011, 09:43
CAA NZ/for Australian Pilots (http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/For_Australian_pilots.htm)

Are you PPL or CPL? PPL you will need to comply with International Validation Requirements.

Commercial Licence is recognised under the TTMRA (Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act), but will still require some form filling and applications, including AFP criminal history check.

Or you can ask me along :D

Arrrj
1st Jun 2011, 10:31
John E,

We are CPL and PPL, but CPL does not earn money from his licence.

So, is it easier for the guy with the CPL or PPL to fill in the forms and fly ? We both have lots of hours in Aus.

Thanks for the response, appreciated.

I have flown as co-pilot around NZ in a EC120B, a fantastic place to fly a heli :ok:.

Arrrj

krypton_john
1st Jun 2011, 10:42
Maybe you could find a private 120B owner in NZ (look on the CAA register) and swap some machine time. Save a bundle on shipping and assembly costs.

John Eacott
1st Jun 2011, 10:52
J
So, is it easier for the guy with the CPL or PPL to fill in the forms and fly ? We both have lots of hours in Aus.

How long is a piece of string? PPL will need a bi-annual, CPL will need lots of proof stuff, and a credit card!

PPL:

Short term validation of overseas flight crew licences
1. A current PPL, CPL or ATPL issued by the licensing authority of an ICAO member state may be recognised for the issue of a NZ Validation Permit. A Validation Permit is not a pilot licence but a short term document, which facilitates the exercise of overseas flight crew licence privileges in NZ registered aircraft. An overseas pilot licence will only be considered for validation to an equivalent or lower level of NZ licence.
2. The successful completion of a NZ Biennial Flight Review is a pre-requisite to the issue of a validation permit for visiting pilots intending to engage in private flying activities under visual flight rules (VFR) in NZ. Application for a NZ PPL Validation Permit should be made using form CAA 24061/18.
3. Each Validation Permit will specify a maximum validity period of six months. However, this period will not extend beyond the expiry date of the applicants overseas licence or medical certificate under any circumstances.
4. If the privileges of an overseas licence presented for validation exceed those permitted by the NZ Civil Aviation Rules, the NZ rule requirements will take precedence. Each NZ Validation Permit will clearly specify all privileges that have been granted and show any appropriate limitations.
5. Overseas type ratings held at the time of application for a NZ Validation Permit will be endorsed on the permit if required, provided that the type is listed in the NZ civil aircraft register.
6. A NZ medical examination is not required for the issue of a NZ Validation Permit; applicants must produce appropriate and unexpired overseas medical certification.
7. Any person who has been denied the issue of a NZ pilot licence or medical certificate is not eligible for the issue of a NZ Validation Permit.
8. Overseas CPL holders seeking the initial issue of a NZ Validation Permit to undertake VFR operations in NZ airspace are generally required to pass a NZ CPL Air Law written examination.
9. Applicants who hold an overseas CPL and an instrument rating, who intend operating under IFR in NZ airspace, are generally required to pass both NZ CPL Air Law and NZ Instrument Rating Air Law written examinations.
10. Applicants who hold an overseas ATPL who wish to exercise the privileges of an ATPL in NZ airspace are generally required to pass an NZ ATPL Air Law written examination.
11. Persons who are required to hold a Validation Permit to conduct ferry flights from NZ to overseas destinations in NZ registered aircraft, or to undertake specific tasks such as flying at a NZ air show or to operate NZ registered aircraft on international operations between overseas countries are not generally required to gain a NZ air law examination credit.
12. Although a Validation Permit is not a renewable document, previous certificate holders may apply for a new certificate if the need arises. Where appropriate, provided that a period of not more than five years has elapsed since the applicant gained their NZ air law exam credit, a resit of this examination will not be required.
13. Applicants seeking a NZ validation permit are required to have flight experience that is at least equivalent to that prescribed for the level of NZ licence privilege being sought. That is, for a validation that grants PPL privileges, applicants must haveCPL:

Following CASA verification as to the authenticity of the Australian document presented for registration, each applicant who submits a correctly completed application package and the appropriate fees will be registered on the CAA client database and the registration completed within 28 days of receipt.
CAA will inform any applicant in writing of a refusal to register, any postponement of registration, or of any conditions imposed on a registration.

How to Apply
All Australian professional licence holders wishing to register pursuant to the provisions of the TTMRA are required to forward the following items to the CAA:
• A completed TTMRA registration application form CAA 24061/09, and
• A completed fit and proper person form CAA 24 FPP. Applicants will need to make application to the Australian Federal Police for their criminal and land transport history. AFP website address: AFP Homepage - Australian Federal Police (http://www.afp.gov.au)
• Certified copies of the applicant’s complete Australian flight crew licence and current medical certificate, and
• Evidence that the Australian licence is current (for example certification from CASA, currency shown on new type CASA licence or in the applicant’s pilot logbook), and
• A copy of the applicant’s CASA Record of Flight Crew Qualifications (only for those applicants who hold an old type CASA credit card licence), and
• Certified evidence to show that where appropriate, the applicant has flight experience at least equivalent to the specified experience requirements for the issue of each NZ qualification(s) sought, and
• If a NZ Instrument Rating (I/R) and/or Flight Instructor Rating is sought, evidence to show that their Australian Command I/R and/or Grade 1, 2 or 3 flight instructor rating(s) are fully current in terms of CASA requirements, and
• If specific NZ aircraft type ratings are sought, evidence to show that the appropriate Australian command type endorsement is held, and
• If ratings other than those already mentioned are sought, evidence to show that where appropriate, CASA currency requirements are met, and
• Personal identification (certified copy of current Australian Passport, driving licence or NZ flight crew licence where applicable), and
• The appropriate fees. Form 2406/09 has provision for applicants to pay fees by credit card (Visa and Mastercard only).
• Details of the various fees are listed in the general information section on Pages 4 and 5.

etc etc etc

birrddog
1st Jun 2011, 13:56
Uhm, if you are flying an Ozmate machine on an Ozmate license why do you need a Kiwi validation?

If you were flying in a Kiwi machine I'd understand.

Just think of it as doing an international flight.

I'd be more concerned with customs paperwork requirements for the machine....

From an ICAO perspective you need to meet the requirements of the "flag" state.... I.e. Where the aircraft is registered.

outofwhack
1st Jun 2011, 16:34
Oz CPLH, Oz A/C, Oz medical and private flying = no paperwork other than buying NZ maps.
Kiwi engineers can legally assemble your Oz A/C providing they are a qualified to work on the same A/C if Kiwi registered. Same goes for taking your A/C to any ICAO affiliated country. Its in the Oz regs.

All returned safely back to Oz now - wont do it again - other dangers lurk! The most troublesome being our own Oz waterfront corrupt practices experienced on the way back.

Arrrj
1st Jun 2011, 22:26
John E,

Thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated.

Birddog,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It will be an "international" flight, and I am unsure if I am in my own machine whether I need anything but maps.

Outofwhack,

That's is also valuable information. Although I don't think we will need any LAME work, I am led to believe we can ship the machines in one piece, and fly them straight of the docks in NZ.

Thanks everyone for your help :ok:
Arrrj