PDA

View Full Version : Qantas 747 Combi's

Jackbr
1st Jun 2011, 07:30
Where did QF used to send their 747 Combis? I believe there were 3 or 4 aicraft, most with RR engines but the first (ECA) with Pratts.

They were probably more popular with Cabin Crew due less passengers!

A seating config from 1989 shows that they were 3 class aircraft but with an economy section on the upper deck.

Avionker
1st Jun 2011, 10:20
Can't help there I'm afraid Jack. I worked on ECB and ECC on a few occasions sometime between 2000 and 2004, and they were RB211 powered for sure. By the time I saw them they were all pax config and the side cargo doors were deactivated. The only time they were opened was when we were doing C-checks on them.

mustafagander
2nd Jun 2011, 21:18
Without checking my logbooks, the combi used to do NRT, PPT, LAX and HNL on a regular basis while they were combi. The QF models had the wide cargo door which allowed bigger pallets and QF was able to charge a premium price for them I heard.

The pax on the UD were there mainly for trim purposes.

Fire fighting practice was really tight down the back with smoke mask and oxy bottle. Not surprisingly we were very careful to ensure that the pallet locks were all engaged and the net properly secured after loading.

4Greens
3rd Jun 2011, 08:29
You could sometimes feel the horsed jumping about through the control wheel in cruise.

davehine
8th Apr 2014, 13:29
I recall flying from LAX to SYD via PPT once each in 1986 and 1987. City of Swan Hill was the aircraft. The upper deck was economy class; about 30 seats and I scored an upstairs seat on both flights. :ok: It was non-smoking upstairs so a friend and I went downstairs and were allowed a cigarette break in the galley between first and business class.. almost unimaginable these days!