View Full Version : Which path to take?

Sharklet
31st May 2011, 08:15
Hello fellow pilots!

I am under a big confusing decision making point in my life and would appreciate advise from experienced members on here. I graduated from FTO XY in May '10 after completing an integrated course. I began job hunting for a pilot's position like many freshers on here but to no avail did I find one. I then decided to pursue any other position within the aviation industry.

A few months later I worked in an operations department, filing flight plans, coordinating private flights, etc... Like an operations controller. Sadly the job was short lived as the department closed down after 2 months. I was again furloughed and in search for a job when I managed to get a flight dispatcher's position at a decent UK airline near my home airport and currently love the job. Only thing is that they don't know I am a pilot....I was afraid to reveal as I feared loosing or not getting my job. I currently LOVE the responsibility and the work environment and am in direct contact with the airline industry on a day-to-day basis.

Recently FTO XY offered me to become an instructor and pay off the course as well as the hours to get to the minimum. Now in this UK airline perhaps I could get an airline pilot's job if I continue to prove myself trustworthy and hard working, which is my quality but this instructor's job is a way to build time.

I want to do both but I think it may be a little difficult. What do you guys suggest? I know I am lucky to get this opportunity but I want to try the luck at this UK airline in taking me...but I don't know if it will work...it's a big MAYBE. On the other hand an instructor's job will just limit me to VFR flying...and eventhough my flying hours will increase...will it really help me get a job whether I have 220 hours or 500 hours piston?

JTONeil
31st May 2011, 12:52
It all depends on who the airline is! Do they normally take people with your experience level?

You already have the job, so why not tell them you're a pilot who's looking for flying role? I'm sure they won't sack you for it, but it really should be your first action.

Flying instructing is fantastic experience, and may help you get a FO position in a small turbo prop company. You would probably prefer instructing over dispatching since flying is what you want to do, and the hours are beneficial. But, and this is important, how much actual instructing time can they offer? Learning to fly is expensive, times are hard, and schools are not exactly awash with students.

So, in general, I think you need to provide some more information before you will illicit really worthwhile advice on here. Don't be shy!

J.C.Bigglesworth
1st Jun 2011, 07:59
I wouldn't hire you because of hiding a fact that you are a pilot. Even though you didn't lie, you have been hiding quite important fact, which is far away from honor behavior which I would expect.

But this is just my opinion, might happen that airline will see it different way. So my recommendation is to go visit the chief pilot or the pilot who is responsible for pilot recruitment and tell him the situation. That you are a dispatcher, you have completed your pilot training and what is your chance to get a job.

I would say that they will prefer people from their own company, so you can have big chance to get yourself on the right seat. In czech republic, Travel Service company is mostly hiring pilot exactly this way and they just want of new 200hrs pilots to work first two years as flight planning/dispatcher etc.

Do it like this, they will know about it, you will now your chance and thats what you want. If they refuse you for any reason, then instructor will be the headline:)

Sharklet
1st Jun 2011, 13:02
Thanks for the replies and the reason I "hid" the fact is because I was struggling to land an airport job (forget flying) and after removing any signs of having done flying or studied to be a pilot I managed to "click" to get this job...of course perhaps having worked as an operations controller gave me a slight edge. I know, I am really confused on how to get the message out. Just today figured out that this company did take a 200 hour fresher from flight school...I am hoping that this can be my break. Any more suggestions or advice?

zondaracer
1st Jun 2011, 14:51
Personally, I don't think hiding the fact that you are a pilot should hurt you. It depends how you look at it. If someone doesn't reveal that they are a pilot, it suggests to me that they are humble and don't think that a non-flying job is beneath them. Nobody wants to work with somebody in a non-flying department who is constantly saying things like "I'm a pilot, I should be up in a cockpit.". I wouldnt worry too much about the fact that you didn't reveal that you are a pilot.

Sharklet
2nd Jun 2011, 12:38
Thanks zondaracer. That puts me at a bit of rest. Now I don't know how to approach them in the sense of looking for a flying position. I mean, the HQ is not based at the airport I work at...but it's in the UK. Has anyone tried this path of getting a flying position?

ldyypd
2nd Jun 2011, 15:38
Just out of interest how did you manage to explain away an 18 month (or so) gap in your CV? Surely the recruiters wanted to know what you did in that time?

Sharklet
3rd Jun 2011, 14:55
To be honest I used the "excuse" that I worked in the family business. Not that the "excuse" is a lie....I do have a family business and I do help occasionally. I actually feel it now...to hide one fact you have to make up ten false statements...but it is not regarding safety...it's regarding earning experience and to a lesser extent cash. :ugh:

JTONeil
3rd Jun 2011, 16:26
Tangled web. Time to simplyfy your life with honesty and perspective.

ldyypd
3rd Jun 2011, 17:20
I can understand why you chose to keep the fact that you've done your training a secret. I finished last year and have just been trying to find anything in aviation to get my career started. I've applied for loads of ops jobs etc, a lot of which I'm actually really well qualified for thanks to the rest of my work experience + my fATPL - I'm certainly able to tick a lot of the boxes on the job specs.

The only reason I can think of that I'm not even getting an interview is that they see the license and decide I'll leave given the first sign of a flying job. I'd love the opportunity to convince them otherwise!

alphaadrian
3rd Jun 2011, 22:24
But lpyypd.......U would leave them high and dry if you got offered a flying job!!! And lets be honest...dont say you wouldnt! Hardly any one would!
A friend of mine got a job dispatching after his airline went into administration. A short while in, he got offered another flying job but had to start within 48hours. Man..that dispatching company never seen him again!! Would I have done the same?..too bloody right! 10k(non flying) versus 25k (flying)!! Not nice I know but this is often the nature of the industry! So in all fairness to these companies..i can understand why some are loathe to employ pilots.

Just my thoughts:ok:

Sharklet
4th Jun 2011, 09:06
Well alphaadrian here is where I am confused...this is an airline and if I were to leave the dispatching job it would be for an instructor's position at FTO XY...however if I continue to work with them and approach them for a flying position there COULD be a possibility to join as an airline pilot. That's why I am in such a dilemma as on what to do. This airline is known to, or has, taken freshers from flight school with a mere 200 hours.

Now how do I approach them after all that has been said before...I don't know.:suspect:

CruiseControl_007
15th Jun 2011, 17:33
Sharklet. Why not just tell them that you're a pilot looking for a job. If they don't know this significant fact then how on earth do you expect to get a flying job?

I know many pilots who worked in various airlines within the dispatching, ops dept etc with a view to get their "foot in the door" and most of them are now flying at the same company because they mentioned it in th efirst place.

If you don't mention it then firstly they will never know and secondly you'll be in this vicious circle of regret. Best of luck! :ok:

Pace152
16th Jun 2011, 11:40
Hey Sharklet,

You're in a tricky position there, I get why you didn't want to tell them you're a pilot (you probably wouldn't have got the job in the first place if you had because as has been said before the ops department want to employ people who want to be in ops not on the flight deck).

Thing is you just don't know which role is going to be best for you're future career but at least now you know if you tell the people you're working for now that you have a pilots licence, in the extremely unlikely event that they fired you for this, at least you now have an actual flying job to go to.

I think I'd tell them and just go with the flow.

It's a tricky one though and good luck with whatever you choose :)

mad_jock
16th Jun 2011, 13:20
I would go and talk to the boss (CP if you can) and put your cards on the table.

Tell them what you have said on here and see what they say. If you are a good lad dispatching things might come good for you they might not.

the other thing to add is that instructing isn't just for building hours, you have to actually want to do it to be any good at it. If you are not the right sort for instructing, not only are you not going to do a good job with the student but your are also going toput yourself under not a small amount of stress.

Would be better to be a good dispatcher networking with crews than a rubbish instructor.

Halfwayback
16th Jun 2011, 13:51
Sharklet - as two weeks have past since the original post perhaps you could let us know what you did?

#HWB

Sharklet
17th Jun 2011, 08:20
Well first of all thanks for the replies and advice! I've taken long to get back because the tables have changed slightly. I'm just under the 200 hour marker for starting the FI course so FTO XY decided to get me a few more hours before doing the course so it could be a while till they decide to recruit me as an instructor.

In the meantime this UK airline at which I'm dispatching flights is quite happy with me and have asked me to be part of a project to analyse turnaround times and delays and advise on what course of action to take. I'm actually quite happy with the responsibility I'm given so again I'm not sure as on what to do...tell them the truth and jeopardize this position or hope that maybe they can get me that first break! I'm thinking on doing the latter. Now I don't know when will be the right time...