PDA

View Full Version : EASA changing regulations for IR ratings?

rotorrookie
31st May 2011, 01:53
I was hearing some rumour about EASA where planing some changes to the instrument rating licence requirements in order to make it easier (and hopefully less expensive) for students to finish their IR-ratings and try to find ways get more pilots to finish IR, perhaps aiming more towards how FAA does it, and this should be part of the new licence regs that are ment to facilitate training in general.
Their is actually committee with some iduviduals coming from the helicopter industry working on it according to this guy.
.....well even though this came from a trusty and usually non bs source I'm not buying it.
But has anyone heard this rumour?

QTG
31st May 2011, 08:10
No.....................

Peter PanPan
31st May 2011, 17:46
Have heard quite the opposite actually...:uhoh: IR courses will have to be conducted from now on in IFR certified ships therefore in Twins. No more single engine IRs and definitely no more piston IRs!:eek:

hostile
31st May 2011, 20:39
I've been flying three and half years with instruments here in US after spend 20 years in Europe flying VFR causing by high prices to get IR rating. I just can't understand the difference to fly IR in Europe (JAA) than here in US (FAR). For me it wasn't so hard at all to get a rating here and no problems to fly at either. I think it is just so over advertised a whole thing to get more money to the flight schools and put poor pilots to pay all that fun!;)

Cheers!:ok:

hands_on123
31st May 2011, 21:06
The difference is in JAA land you can only fly IMC in a twin, hence if you want to get an IR, you must train in an IFR equipped aircraft, i.e. a twin. It kinda makes sense, but it does prove very expensive.

GoodGrief
31st May 2011, 21:28
There is a difference between ifr equipped and ifr certified, then there is a difference between ifr and imc.

JAA/EASA are overrated.

nigelh
1st Jun 2011, 19:42
It doesnt need to make any sense ...its the CAA . Of course you should be able to do the training in singles . I have flown , and been flown , for many hours IMC in the UK in a single and personally didnt feel any cause for concern !! It was safe and sometimes legal .... A full up 109 or 355 will be coming down too in the event of an engine failure . Also dont forget that singles and twins only have one Xmission etc etc At the end of the day do i believe they will relax the ifr rules and get more people rated and therefore not clawing around low level ....No . They have never shown any common sense in the past and will not change .:mad:

Helinut
2nd Jun 2011, 00:27
I don't think it is the CAA any more. They are really just the district office for EASA from here on in................

paco
2nd Jun 2011, 04:44
I did hear that they were becoming non type-specific, but that was a while ago.

I can see the difference between being properly in the murk and wearing foggles, but we are really talking procedures here, and there are ways of darkening the windscreen to make it as realistic as possible. Instruments is instruments, regardless of how many engines you have, and I see no reason why it has to be done in a twin, especially as currently you will be doing another one on a twin when you join your company. All this does is make people fight the twin rating as well as the IR, which is not really how it should be. A lot of the high cost is because of the twin stuff.

Phil