PDA

View Full Version : Freezing

homesick rae
30th May 2011, 12:12
Hi,

Windows 7 OS - laptop intermittently freezes and I have no idea why. Scans are clear. It can happen at any time. Any ideas?

Cheers

HR

bnt
30th May 2011, 13:56
Hardware? Try reseating the memory module(s) if possible. It's difficult to be more specific, since a lockup doesn't give you any errors, but you could try looking in the System logs for the time immediately before the lockup.

Spurlash2
30th May 2011, 18:35
Try this:

1. Start > type msconfig in search box [press Enter]
2. goto Services tab.
3. Click on the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ box at the bottom of the
screen so that it has a tick in it. The window in the middle of the screen
should change when you do this. It may take a few seconds to take
effect.
4. Then click the ‘Disable All’ button on the bottom right. It should un-tick
all the boxes now visible.
5. Now goto startup tab.
6. Then click the ‘Disable All’
7. Click APPLY.
8. Click Restart.
9. The computer will restart. Upon restarting, you will see a window.
10. Put a tick in the box ‘Don’t show this message or launch…’ and click
the ‘OK’ button.

Then see if the problem persists.

Link HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135)for Services and the 'halving' method of faultfinding.

homesick rae
31st May 2011, 08:43
Spurlash,

Thanks - have gone through the steps - didn't get a message upon restart though, it just went straight to the 2 user icons. That said it seems faster and will check on the freezing issye throughout the day and revert.

Cheers

HR

mixture
31st May 2011, 09:05
Hi,

As bnt says, might be worth perusing the logs.

Click on start, and type eventvwr into the search box and open up Event Viewer.

Once in there, make your life easy by filtering down as follows :

- Right click "Custom Views"
- Select "Create Custom View"
- In the "Logged" drop down, choose a suitable time range (e.g. last 7 days)
- Under "Event Level" check Critical & Warning (or even just Critical)
- Select the "By log" radio button
- In the "Event logs" drop down, check both primary options (win logs & app logs)
- Hit OK
- Give it a name
- Hit ok
- Click on the newly created view on the navbar

homesick rae
1st Jun 2011, 07:17
Thanks Mixture.

On another note, have been sent a word and a pdf document and when I open both they are blank!? Sender can open no problem.

Thanks

HR

mixture
1st Jun 2011, 09:13
Are your PDF Reader / Word versions perhaps a bit old ?

Can't remember what happens with Word, but certainly getting a blank page displayed is one of the possible symptoms of opening a PDF created in newer software on a machine equipped with a prior version.

homesick rae
1st Jun 2011, 13:41
Yep, Adobe X - Word is 2007. Seems to be an encoding issue and I am damned if I can recall how to fix this - have done in the past!

Spurlash2
1st Jun 2011, 15:07
Homesick,

Is the file you have been sent Word 2007, ie: .docx as a file extension? The earlier versions of Word need a helping hand from HERE (To be able to open .docx files on older Microsoft Word versions, you can make use of the Microsoft Compatibility Pack, downloadable through the link: http://www.microsoft.com/...).

If you have W2007 it is a different snag. Can you open it in IE?

Right click the Word File icon, then choose "Open With", and choose IE from the list.

Launch IE, then at the File Menu, choose "Open" and browse to the Word File. You can also try Firefox the same way

Make sure font colour in Word not set to white!

Open the document and try Print Preview.

Let us know how you get on.

homesick rae
1st Jun 2011, 16:59
Spurlash,

The word doc is a .doc file - have received this now by cut and paste. However, the manual I have been sent by email is PDF which comes up with an error saying it is not supported or has not been decoded properly. I have adobe X.

Thanks

Homesick

green granite
1st Jun 2011, 18:02
Try the free foxit reader, is better than adobe reader anyway, it's less of a memory hog

Foxit Reader - Overview - Foxit Software (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/reader/)

Spurlash2
1st Jun 2011, 18:09
Curses, GG beat me to it.

1. Try as GG suggests.
2. Uninstall Reader X, restart Windows, then install it again (download the installer from HERE (http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/enterprise/).

PS. How is the freezing getting on?

taxydual
1st Jun 2011, 18:18
Could be as simple as getting too hot. Check the cooling fan vent underneath the case. Make sure it's not blocked with fluff.

david1300
2nd Jun 2011, 03:21
I think Taxidual has it. Global warming has made it too hot so now it's freezing. Don't let the gummint know or they will tax it :ok: