PDA

View Full Version : Bristow New Iberia Campus

Sethgl
30th May 2011, 10:22
Hi all, new to this forum. Iam an aussie looking to go to the US for my helicopter commercial licence. I am wondering if anyone has trained at Bristows New Iberia campus and your thoughts on that campus. Thanks

MartinCh
30th May 2011, 11:13
New Ibera 'campus' used to be Vortex Helicopters.
With the aquisition of Vortex (from my past research) the cost of training there went up to Florida's levels. Hmm.

Only mentioning it if you're interested. No idea about personnel changes, but I presume over the last 2 years or so, many things have changed.

You'd be closer to GOM's operations, though. Wait for recent first-hand accounts of how things are.

Sethgl
31st May 2011, 10:44
Hi MartinCh

Thanks for the reply, I have sent Bristow an email about which school location would be the most appropriate for my circumstances, just waiting to hear back.

Hedge36
31st May 2011, 12:29
Out of curiosity, what circumstances would have you in NI instead of Titusville?

Peter PanPan
31st May 2011, 17:54
Stopped by NI couple of years ago to check out the facility: mom and pops feel, nothing comparable to Titusville. I am sure standards are the same though. It's quite a remote area, you won't have much distractions which should be a plus when studying, closest fun town is Lafayette (Recommend the Blue Dog café for brunch on sundays and the Blue Moon Saloon for live music). Big advantage is the proximity with the GOM, all big operators will be in a radius of 50 miles: Air Logistics, PHi, ERA... They will gladly show you around their bases. :ok:

Sethgl
31st May 2011, 20:08
Hi Hedge36

My wife has a relatives about 2 hours away from there.

inmate
1st Jun 2011, 20:46
It is a little difficult to make a suggestion when your individual circumstances are not known.
I would suggest if you are coming from Aus solely for the purpose of completing your CPL(H) that you invest your time and money in the florida campus.

You will have far better access to CAA type information which you will need when you return home. CFI positions on that campus will probibly be more available to you and you will have networked the campus (you will be a known entity)

The big players in the GOM game are close to New Iberia but the bottom line is they are not going to be interested in you at this stage of your career. That is no BS.

Feel free to send me a private email if you have any further questions.

Peter PanPan
2nd Jun 2011, 17:37
I wasn't suggesting that our friend from Oz would land a job flying in the GOM just because he happened to have trained in the area. That would make no sense at all for a fresh new Comm pilot, let alone a non US citizen on a student visa.:uhoh:

It could only be interesting to be in the vicinity of one of the key segments of the Helo industry, see how the real commercial world operates versus being in a pure training facility where most instructors have no previous real world experience.

inmate
2nd Jun 2011, 18:49
Peter,
Sorry if it seemed that I was questioning your intent, that is far from the truth.

I was only concerned that our Ozzie friend might make his flight school choice based on the proximity of the GOM and operators, and that really would be a mistake.

Bristow may well have some form of internship for its students in the GOM after training I,m not sure but I will certainly find out. That would be a good insite into the daily workings of the system.

inmate
2nd Jun 2011, 18:54
Sethgl,

May I enquire as to why you are coming here to train rather than there in Oz? It may be somewhat cheaper here and make sense if you were to continue your career in the US, but if the intent is to return to Oz, I think you will find that without an ATP and hours you will just have to complete most of the CAA CPL(H) upon your return.

Of course if you have other reasons then as I said earlier the Florida campus is probibly your best choice.

Whichever way you decide to go, welcome to the nomadic world of the helicopter pilot. Best of luck to you.

Peter PanPan
2nd Jun 2011, 19:25
Why don't we let Sethgel express himself, after all he started the thread and we haven't heard that much from him as for his intentions and goals ;)

Sethgl
2nd Jun 2011, 20:39
Hi

Thanks to all your replies. I found the information I was after and if I continue to come to the US I think the Florida campus may be more beneficial as a couple of you have stated. My work situation has changed and due to this I may be staying here in Australia to do my CPL (H). I have looked and spoken to a number of instructors at various schools here. My next move will be to attend the schools to see which suits me best. Thanks again for all your replies I appreciate it. I have always had an interest in flying and at 38 it is finally time to take the leap and get my licence.