PDA

View Full Version : AF447 stick & THS question

HappyPass
29th May 2011, 14:19
Hi everybody.
I didn't feel like posting in af447 thread no.3 (which I'm following), mainly because I'm not a pilot, and also because the thread is getting pretty hot, and a couple of SLF asked for info but their questions were not answered.

I have a doubt - I don't know the inner workings of THS but as far as I could gather the auto-trim helps the pilot in maintaining its inputs.
At 2h10'51" the pilot was holding nose-up sidestick and the THS went 13° nose up (pilots in thread 3 say it was the auto-trim).
At 2h12'17" the pilot commanded nose-down sidestick but BEA says that trim remained 13° nose up. Everybody is saying that trim was "working against the pilot". Why didn't it "help" the pilot in this case also?
Can someone please explain?

Thanks in advance.
HP

HappyPass
29th May 2011, 16:40
It has probably been answered indirectly as follows in the other thread a few minutes ago (again correct me if wrong):

Originally posted by henra

At least before probably entering into Abnormal Law when the AoA exceeded 30°, a normal continuous Nose down command by pushing the stick forward should have also reduced THS angle accordingly.
Therefore it is likely that a manual use of the Trim wheel would only have been required when deep in the stall, long after starting the descent.
That point would have been reached somewhere around 2:11:30.
And even after that point Auto Trim could have been regained if continuous Nose Down combined with reduced thrust would have reduced the AoA below 30°.
In that case auto Trim would have been available again.I was searching for failures that would have justified a change in control law in the BEA report, but apparently the increase in AoA between 2h10'51" and 2h11'40" ("exceeded 40°" states the report) is enough to trigger Abnormal Law.