PDA

View Full Version : Militar Pilot or similar

Luca_Cav
29th May 2011, 07:01
Hi, my name is Luca and I'm an italian citizen. I'm 26 years old and I achieved an engineering degree (5 years) in automation (mechanical system, robotic, avionic and much more besides...). I'd like to become a militar pilot or find a job which allow me to fly with militar airplane, it is possible for me??
In Italy I can't join in Aereonautic Accademy because the age limit is about 22 years old. I'm 26 years old but I'm still young, :rolleyes: I haven't sight defect, I'm 1 meter high and 76 cm, my weight is about 70 Kg, and I play sport since about 20 years, but I'm too old for my country.:ugh:
Are there any possibilities to pilot militar and/or jet airplane in other countries?
Can my degree help me to start a pilot career?

Thanks a lot.

Pontius Navigator
29th May 2011, 08:41
Luca, probably not as age is against you. You might succeed in an EU test case to test employment law but by the time you won you would definitely be too old.

Luca_Cav
30th May 2011, 21:48
Sorry Pontiu, but I don't understand. What do you mean about EU test? What is it? Why will I become too old? Does it exist an other way for me to join in a fly accademy different to Italian Air Force?

Thank you!

Henry09
31st May 2011, 07:12
Luca

I am pretty certain that a career as a Military Pilot is probably out of the question now, purely on age considerations. Some air forces do allow pilots to train anywhere between the ages of 26-29 but that is normally for people who have already been in the air force for a few years and decide to try and change profession. However I do think you can still pursue a career in Civil Aviation. You have a good degree and have proved that the study element of flying will not be an issue. Providing you can get a full medical cat and have the aptitude for pilot training then I don't see why you cannot go for your goal, if civil aviation will satisfy your flying ambitions. The two options of course are to try and find sponsorship/cadetships, but I am unaware of the wide variety of different entry criteria, or you start by self funding as far as you can. It is exspensive and unless you have a lot of money saved (unlikely after University :) ) , or your family can help then it could be tough going and take a long time ...maybe too long.

Don't give up, explore the options and good luck to you.:ok:

Luca_Cav
31st May 2011, 10:14
Thank you Henry. Your answer has been very complete. One last clarification, in the civil aviation can I fly with airplane which performance are similar to military airplane (speed over 900 Km/h, maneuvers more dynamic....)? I think isn't possible or not?

Thanks.

Really annoyed
31st May 2011, 21:06
in the civil aviation can I fly with airplane which performance are similar to military airplaneOh yes.

Civil.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3494/4060758862_3596c1a810.jpg

Military.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Templates/GenerateThumbnail.aspx?imageURL=/NR/rdonlyres/619501D6-B8EE-4D47-AC06-CCF232796935/0/FSTA.jpg&maxSize=210

Fill yer boots.

Pontius Navigator
31st May 2011, 21:40
Luca, by EU Test case I was referring taking your case to European law, specifically employment law. If you won it would not help you at all for as Henry said, you are too old. It would however help all future would be pilots.

Generally however the military forces of each State are exempt from much of EU Law.

Pontius Navigator
31st May 2011, 21:41
RA, nice one, even if steeped in irony.