PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter advice

helibegins
27th May 2011, 17:30
Hi, I am new on the form and I am currently interested in obtaining a Private Helicopters Pilots licence. Although I had a couple of questions and I was wondering if anyone could help please.

1. What should I look for when picking a Helicopter schools?

2. What is the average cost? the general consensus from the schools around my area (Bournemouth) seems to suggest to budget for somewhere between £13,000-£20,000 for everything.

3. Is there any schools in Bournemouth that anyone would recommend?

4. This question is fairly subjective but how hard are the exams to sit and obviously pass?

5. Final question is what sort of job opportunities are there if I was to obtain a Commercial licence?

I would appreciate any help and thank you in advance, and I thought that this would be the most appropriate area to post. Sorry if this is in the wrong place but was advised to put this in here my someone in Spectators balcony.

Gordy
27th May 2011, 19:38
SEE HERE (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/122944-faq-training-employment-prospects-please-read-before-posting.html)

helicopter-redeye
27th May 2011, 21:00
1. What should I look for when picking a Helicopter schools?

2. What is the average cost? the general consensus from the schools around my area (Bournemouth) seems to suggest to budget for somewhere between £13,000-£20,000 for everything.

3. Is there any schools in Bournemouth that anyone would recommend?

4. This question is fairly subjective but how hard are the exams to sit and obviously pass?

5. Final question is what sort of job opportunities are there if I was to obtain a Commercial licence?

Starter for 10

1. Financial stability, quality teaching, decent well maintained aircraft. Finally, do you trust your life with the guy or gal who would be teaching you? Can you get on with them as a person (don't have to be a mate, but can you have a professional relationship with them, as they are going to teach you a load of things that are quite important). Visit all the places you consider, talk to the Chief FI and spend some time with the person they propose would work with you. If it does not feel right, it probably isn’t.

2. About right. Set a budget, agree it with the school and work with them to build a plan to deliver the learning within that budget. Iz possible.

3. -- Personally can't comment. Only time I've been there was to GTS Ground School.

4. For somebody educated to a reasonable standard, not too hard. My son has passed most of the PPL exams and he has not done his GSCE's yet (he also had a go at the ATPL exam questions when I was doing them and was getting close to a pass mark, but he was younger then... :eek:)

5. Variable. More people will comment on this I expect.

Enjoy h-r;)

FLY 7
28th May 2011, 08:06
Learn to fly, flying school at Bournemouth Helicopters, pilot training on England's south coast (http://www.bournemouth-helicopters.co.uk/index.html)

I believe they have a good reputation and, most importantly, operate the Schweizer 300s, which is IMO the best training helicopter. Budget for much nearer £20k.

NickLappos
29th May 2011, 18:16
Come to the US, by the time you pay passage and living expenses, the vastly lesser school costs wash out, but the adventure, and exposure to a very much less stultified flying system will make you a happier (and I would argue, gasp, better) pilot. Bristow School in Florida is wonderful, and has a great reputation, as well as a JAR curriculum that equals anything in jolly old. PM me, I can give you the contact info for a few students who think highly of the school.
Florida is a great place of itself, too.

I now await the onslaught. The last time I spouted off like this, it ended up with me inviting any doubters to fly a night IFR flight from Bridgeport Connecticut to Buffalo New York, as a way to show that not all hairy chested helo drivers fly the North Sea routes. I had too many takers to make good on my challenge - Flying Lawyer was the first volunteer, I still owe him that ride!

Gordy
29th May 2011, 19:34
Nick,

I will be the first to disagree---PM on the way.

I will agree that there are excellent training opportunities in the US. Depending upon ones ultimate goal, Bristow may not be the best.

Certainly if you want to fly for them, in JAA land, or fly in the oil and gas industry then yes. For the utility industry, I have to say nope.

Cue the hate mail to me.......

Peter PanPan
29th May 2011, 19:41
Nick is spot on, forget about the Old World! If you only truly care about a JAR license then go to Florida to the above mentioned flight training organization and do your PPL there. You will find sunnier days, cheaper flight hours, friendly and professional staff, international environment with real industry professionals. :ok:

hands_on123
29th May 2011, 21:20
Yeah, go to the USA, take 2 months off work with no loss of earnings, learn to fly in sunny florida, where hotels/car hire/flights/insurance/food etc cost nothing.

Then come back to the UK and wonder why it takes you another 15 hours to learn to talk correctly on the UK radio, navigate around tricky UK airspace, fly on instruments, use a VOR etc, oh and don't forget the JAA checkride/CAA costs

Then sit down when all is done and wonder why all that hassle going to the USA, coming back, doing more flying, paying for more training etc. only saved you £300.

Of course I am being facetious, but seriously, beware, going to the USA isn't always the cheapest/best option. Do you research, and don't believe all those "GET YOUR PPL IN 3 WEEKS FOR $9,999" adverts.

Whirlygig
29th May 2011, 21:24
Or come back to the UK and find that there is no longer a local helicopter school where you can self fly hire as they closed down through lack of business. :(

Please support your local school. :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

hands_on123
29th May 2011, 21:48
I think the closure of your local school was more due to lack of management than lack of business.

Whirlygig
29th May 2011, 21:58
I know Hands on, I was speaking generally ...

Cheers

Whirls

Peter PanPan
30th May 2011, 05:28
"Then come back to the UK and wonder why it takes you another 15 hours to learn to talk correctly on the UK radio, navigate around tricky UK airspace, fly on instruments, use a VOR etc, oh and don't forget the JAA checkride/CAA costs"

That would be for an IR conversion course (After type rating), we are talking about PPL here, no need to come back to the UK and do anything since he would be holding a JAR PPL issued by the UK CAA. All the CAA fees are clearly listed. Again: why are you suggesting more flying and training? That doesn't make any sense.

Then sit down when all is done and wonder why all that hassle going to the USA, coming back, doing more flying, paying for more training etc. only saved you £300.

Since when going to the US would be a hassle? Just go for it! You will save on the flight hours (Right now 1 hour on the S300 with a JAA Instructor goes for 327usd), on the fact that it will take you less time to do your training because of the good weather, the aircraft availability (Around 25 ships), the overall efficiency and getting stuff done philosophy, the absence of landing fees, the stimulating environment... Do I need to carry on?

Of course I am being facetious, but seriously, beware, going to the USA isn't always the cheapest/best option. Do you research, and don't believe all those "GET YOUR PPL IN 3 WEEKS FOR $9,999" adverts.

There is only one place in the States where one can do a JAR PPL(H) and that is Bristow Academy. If you look it up you will see all the info clear and transparent. You may want to consider getting a FAA PPL which is also a great option but then you need a 100 hours in order to convert to JAR... Might as well get the JAR first, then get a validation with the FAA and get your FAA Instrument Rating so that you have a FAA stand alone certificate.
If you are really on a tight budget just get your FAA PPL.:ok:

Bravo73
30th May 2011, 08:24
Again: why are you suggesting more flying and training? That doesn't make any sense.

FWIW, I seem to recall that very few (if any) UK schools would allow a new customer to self-fly hire one of their machines without some sort of check ride, even with a JAA PPL(H). The general consensus was that a new customer who hadn't flown in the country before (ie had done all of their training in the US, even if it was to JAA standards) would require more 'familiarisation training' than someone who had trained in the UK.

hands_on123
30th May 2011, 09:42
FWIW, I seem to recall that very few (if any) UK schools would allow a new customer to self-fly hire one of their machines without some sort of check ride, even with a JAA PPL(H). The general consensus was that a new customer who hadn't flown in the country before (ie had done all of their training in the US, even if it was to JAA standards) would require more 'familiarisation training' than someone who had trained in the UK.

Agreed, some PPL holders will take 1-2 hours for this, others longer. I taught a chap who had a PPL from South Africa and it took him 17 hours to get used to navigating, talking in UK airspace etc.

Also don't forget Bristow Academy only offers PPL on a Hughes 300, and there are not many schools in the UK who operate that aircraft.

tony 1969
30th May 2011, 10:59
Hi Helibegins,
Check your messages
Best of Luck

BaronG
30th May 2011, 11:17

This is true for schools in the UK and USA. Any self-fly hirer is going to want to see a checkout of the person doing the hiring before letting them head off alone.

US can be cheaper and more fun, but not everyone can take the time, or get the money up front to do that. I will concur though, that HAI/Bristow Academy was a good place to learn the basics, and at that time anyway, instilled a good safety oriented approach to ab initios.

Good Luck OP!

BG.

hands_on123
30th May 2011, 11:56
And always add at least 30% onto however long any flight school quotes you, in terms of how long it will take to get a PPL. There is always aircraft availability/weather/examiner availability issues to contend with.