PDA

View Full Version : UK Tri-service and hay-fever!

Air ops
27th May 2011, 12:55
Hello,

Just a small question which is on my mind at the moment.

Why is it that If you were looking to join the Fleet Air Arms or the Army Air Corps as a Pilot, why does the hay-fever rule differ between the two?
This may seem like a stupid question but, for example:
In the FAA and AAC you have to be 4 years symptom free to become eligible to become aircrew. On the other hand, you have to be symptom free for life to even attempt to become aircrew for the RAF.

I don't quite understand this logic as Pilots in the RAF, FAA and AAC will generally all be doing the same thing.

If you have any ideas, please post below.
Thanks!

Air Ops

Alister101
28th May 2011, 18:11
Its the same with eyesight aswell, RAF are slightly more strict.

My guess is just cause of the number of applicants and they need some sort of limiter. When you think of flying for the forces, generally you think of the Royal Air Force. I was very much a victim of this, i thought the fast jets flying off of the carriers were all RAF.

gijoe
28th May 2011, 20:42
Probably something to do with the fact that all RAF drivers are destined for fast jets until they fall off that escalator and get on another. Oxygen masks make the cockpit not the place to have a dose of anti-pollen behaviour at 420kts.

That is not the case in the FAA or AAC - neither, unfortunately, and mind-boggingly, have fast jets anymore - and you are likely to join to fly rotary.

G:ok: