PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Industrial Action

broadband circuit
27th May 2011, 06:30
Qantas pilots demand perks and pay rises (http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/aap/8254213/qantas-pilots-demand-perks-and-pay-rises)

The managers there obviously went to the same school as our clowns:
- Using emotive words like "perks".
- Quoting the highest possible package they can find for the most senior captain (no doubt a management pilot) as if it were the standard package that the average pilot gets.
- Over-quoting the overall cost of the proposal.
- Labeling the AIPA committee as "rogue union leaders", implying that the rank & file are happy, and have been coerced into this action.
- Claiming that the business is losing money, and the proposal is unsustainable.

I say good on the AIPA & it's members. I wish you well.

Fly747
27th May 2011, 09:01
Those "average" pilots aren't doing too bad at $350k either.
Where do I apply?

routetuner
28th May 2011, 10:11
They didn't support their fellow "domestic " pilots in 1989 because they were the "international" (arrogant) pilots and it didn't apply to them, so they kept working(against) their fellow pilots and well, well ,well ,look where they are now. Suck it up qaintass, we told you it was the thin edge of the wedge - you chose to to take the easy road then and now you pay. Get stuffed. For me - well I think you can guess.

Captain Dart
28th May 2011, 10:43
They did support their domestic colleagues but only passively, by not operating extra sectors. QF pilots also happily accepted 'encrustations' from what had been the domestic Australian Airlines into their ranks. The QANTAS group also employs ex Ansett *'heroes' in the upper echelons of Jetstar. It will be interesting to see how these boys conduct themselves again if and when it comes to a 'stoush'.

While the ranks of 'eighty niners' in CX diminish annually, it was an event that had ramifications for two decades regarding pilot supply in many parts of the world, and it certainly got CX out of a crewing problem.

If QF pilots hadn't been such a bunch of 'wieners' 21 years ago would things be different now? Opinions would be welcome.

*For those who weren't there, the Prime Minister of the day referred to the pilots who 'went back' as 'heroes'; after he had exacerbated the dispute by calling us 'bus drivers'!

tailstrike1
28th May 2011, 16:29
Cpt Dart,

,Wiener is German for Viennese, but may also refer to:
A German sausage named after Vienna (the name is not used in this context in Vienna) :O

sorry- couldn't resist

BRGDS
from GER

Captain Dart
28th May 2011, 22:11
Yes, I know. In this context it also refers to a small version of a sausage-shaped part of the male anatomy, alternate spelling 'weener' or 'weenie'; a derogatory term used mainly in the US; also appropriate as many pilots from that part of the world came to Australia during 'that year'.

I do not mean any offence to people from Vienna!

Regards from the Galasphere :ok:.