PDA

View Full Version : QF Staff Engagement Survey Results

framer
27th May 2011, 03:35
Hi, Any news on the results yet? Should be interesting and I thought they were due out today.

Bootstrap1
27th May 2011, 04:19
The results are so poor and scathing of management they aren't sure if they will release the results.
If they are afraid of the answer they should not have asked the question.

jieunni
27th May 2011, 04:31
Is that not the point of having an independent organisation carry out the staff engagement survey?

Or am I missing something...

skylarker
27th May 2011, 06:48
OUR ENGAGEMENT SURVEY RESULTS

After returning to work last week, I’ve had a chance to go through our Engagement Survey results.

The Survey is your chance to tell us how you feel about working at Qantas and I appreciate those of you who took the time to complete the survey, as you are contributing to improving the way we work.

This year, our overall engagement score dropped approximately six per cent compared to last year. With our new provider, Towers Watson, this equated to 70 per cent engagement, which is well below the Australian national average score of 82 per cent. This was disappointing, but not unexpected given the challenging times we are currently facing.

In this year’s survey, we had a much higher rate of participation, which suggests that while the data shows a decline in engagement, what we’re seeing is actually a truer representation of our engagement score.

On a positive note, over two thirds of our workforce are engaged and indicate they are proud of their association with Qantas. This result provides a solid foundation on which we can build and improve upon.

With safety being our first priority, it was also pleasing to see that this was our highest performing area when compared to other organisations.

However, we have a lot of work to do and I can assure you that we are listening to your frank opinions – good and bad.

Over the coming weeks ExCo will be spending time reviewing your feedback and coming up with an Action Plan to address how we’ll tackle the main issues. We will then discuss this at our Senior Leadership Forum in June. In each team, your Manager will see your department’s results, share them with your team and then come up with a team Action Plan.

It’s important that we all recognise that Qantas cannot stand still or revert to the past. We must continue to adapt to change in order to compete and thrive.

I’d also note that engagement is not simply an issue for your Manager, or the ExCo team. It’s every single person’s responsibility to make Qantas a better place to work and we can all make a difference in our own way.

Regards,
Alan Joyce

fishers.ghost
27th May 2011, 06:52
The staff survey is a tool used by management to gauge how pissed off employees are.The results keep plumbing new depths and have never been published company wide.
Lyall Strambi was elated with the last survey as the participation in operations actually went up.The results were disastrous but participation improved.A cause for celebration?

Mr. Hat
27th May 2011, 06:54
It’s important that we all recognise that Qantas cannot stand still or revert to the past. We must continue to adapt to change in order to compete and thrive.

"We"

"You the pilots/engineers"

AWB_Clerk
27th May 2011, 07:11
Well it's all good and well that AJ has had a look at the survey and made time to formulate a few comments on it in an email, but how about releasing some raw data or graphs to show what the survey results actually are?

It's all good and well to say "too turds" of the workforce are engaged; how about proving it with some real data as oppposed to AJ's seemingly skewed view of all things QF.

I know, it will never happen.....

another superlame
27th May 2011, 08:47
He is buying time to re-analyse the results until he likes them.

assasin8
27th May 2011, 09:14
He is probably going to use the same calculator that calculated how much the pilots' claims were going to cost the company!:rolleyes:

ampclamp
27th May 2011, 09:27
If 2 out of 3 are supposedly engaged I'd hate to see the toxicity in a firm where it was any lower.
If anyone in authority actually believes that result and think it is not too bad they are on the wrong drugs.

HF3000
27th May 2011, 09:34
2 out of 3 who responded perhaps?

Jetsbest
27th May 2011, 09:38
In my view engagement surveys, having done a couple now, are misunderstood by staff who seem to think they're about gauging staff "happiness" or otherwise; I know I did! :O

I'm now firmly of the view that engagement surveys are a mechanism for management to assess the risk or likelihood that:
- employees might leave in numbers sufficient to damage the company's immediate plans,
- employees might deduce and/or react to the longer-range company strategy to 'downsize', 'right-size', 'outsource' or 'off-shore' before sufficient progress is made,
- company assurances denying the aforementioned will be greeted with either placid acceptance or militant cynicism, and/or
- employees might seek to damage the company's image or property.

Of course the corollary is that engagement surveys are NOT about management popularity, listening to staff ideas & input, assessing improvements to pay & conditions or improving the 'culture' of the company. Those things would come with visibility of, and trust in, management's leadership traits, abilities, integrity and communication style. :hmm:

It looks to me as though the QF surveys have merely sought to uncover the best pressure points on which to jab the staff. My summary? QF staff are proud to work for 'an Australian icon'. The management response? Kick them hard because they'll take a lot of punishment before they'll leave. :ouch:

Do any HR people or psychologists out there want to tell me I'm wrong?

assasin8
27th May 2011, 09:43
Ah, you've got to love HR people and psychologists... The real backbone of an organisation!:yuk:

Black Hands
27th May 2011, 09:54
I can't believe it takes results of an engagement survey for AJ to grasp the fact that staff are "proud of their association with QANTAS" and commitment to safety is "our highest performing area". There's nothing else left... Individual professionalism and a once proud history...
Where did they find this bloke??? Fairdinkum...

Tarq57
27th May 2011, 09:57
The only way to effect an (almost) accurate result for this sort of survey is if hardly anyone in the workforce bothers to return one.

Arnold E
27th May 2011, 10:45
I’d also note that engagement is not simply an issue for your Manager, or the ExCo team. It’s every single person’s responsibility to make Qantas a better place to work and we can all make a difference in our own way.
This guy is quite clearly a pillock, I feel sorry for you people.:{

bonvol
27th May 2011, 11:11
That's right Arnold. He just doesn't get it.

Engagement is "simply an issue for your Manager, or the ExCo team."

To have a motivated engaged workforce the management must first institute a climate of trust.

QF management destroyed this long ago and show no sign of ever trying to restore it.

This, shall we say "kamikaze" management approach is crazy but deliberate.

Scapegoats need to be found for the myriad management incompetencies and AJ is determined to manufacture them.

When hard questions are asked and his survival is at stake he needs to be able to say "It was them".

stubby jumbo
27th May 2011, 11:21
That comment from the Leprechaun re: the Engagement survey is almost on par with his "kamikaze" reference a few weeks ago. It confirms to me that he is an absolute GOOSE:mad::mad:

OVERALL SCORE DROPPED 6%. .....Admit it buddy ...its gone backward ,down, south, minus,below,under....whatever word you want to use.

So what are you going to do about it ?
Why do you think its gone down?
Could the reason be that your "management team " are CRAP!!

OK-Clifford....Punt him.:D...........pleeeeeese

As a literary scholar of some repute....I regularly browse the Harvard Business Review. I found this gem written last week.

Some one should stick it on the back of the dunny door up at QCA/9.:eek:

"When leaders attempt to deliver inspiring messages, many employees react with skepticism, questioning whether leaders are just trying to get them to work harder. Indeed, researchers Phil Mirvis and Donald Kanter have found that in many companies, the majority of frontline employees are cynical about leaders’ motives and intentions.
For these reasons, leaders should abandon the notion—popularized in the mainstream business press—of themselves as lone heroes who must rally their employees to do great things". HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW MAY2011
:ok:

Arnold E
27th May 2011, 11:28
STUBBY JUMBO, I very much doubt that, from what I have seen here and in the press, that AJ would understand (or care) what you are trying to convey.

noip
27th May 2011, 13:05
Dr Strangelove ...

N

RATpin
27th May 2011, 13:25
VB had one back in about 2005 I think,It was so bad,the powers that be refused to release the result. Word on the street from the few who had seen the detail was that the pilot group was "Unrecoverable",such was the pilot disengagement at the time. It certainly resulted in some positive changes from my perspective.

surfside6
27th May 2011, 21:43
I dont know how many of these things we've had but absolutely nothing has changed and nothing will change.

Sunfish
27th May 2011, 23:02
I loved this bit, I wrote crap like this as a newly minted MBA, but I grew up.

Over the coming weeks ExCo will be spending time reviewing your feedback and coming up with an Action Plan to address how we’ll tackle the main issues. We will then discuss this at our Senior Leadership Forum in June. In each team, your Manager will see your department’s results, share them with your team and then come up with a team Action Plan.

"Over the coming weeks" :yuk:

"will be spending time reviewing":yuk:

"Action plan to address" :yuk::yuk:

"Discuss ...at "forum":yuk:

"team...share.. team action plan":yuk::yuk:

The floggings will continue until morale improves. Pathetic.

assasin8
27th May 2011, 23:45
EASY! Stop giving Qantas flying away...

Sign off on the JOB SECURITY clause!

"Nuf said!"

Qantas 787
28th May 2011, 02:30
Forget the actual results - they can't be surprised. What we all want to know is what they are actually doing about them.............which is very little.

rodchucker
28th May 2011, 03:30
Surprise maybe not, but if revealed would expose another Exec misrepresentation of the truth.

That is the point I suggest.