PDA

View Full Version : BA jump seat advice

scorpioflyer
13th Feb 2001, 01:20
Sorry to bore you with this one, but in April I will be flying with BA to Orlando, and in the current climate I thought it would probably be best to write to someone to request a jump seat ride.
Who would be the best person to write to, and where would their office/address be?
I am a BCPL holder, will this help?
Many thanks.

Mister Geezer
13th Feb 2001, 04:36
Right here is what I would do.

Type or write a short note to the Captain. Tell him/her that you have a BCPL total hours etc etc and that you would like to sit up front. Before you board write your seat number on the note.

Also take your licence with you!

When you board the aircraft hand the note together with the BCPL to the Cabin Crew and ask if they could pass it onto the Flight Deck. If they look a bit uneasy or ask what it is, simply tell them it is a 'Jumpseat request'.

Then go to your seat and wait, until one of the Cabin Crew comes back to you.

Hope this might be of use!

MG

------------------
It's a limited RAS as you approach my dark area.......

GJB
13th Feb 2001, 16:47
Licence & Passport to a member of the cabin crew when you board and ask very politely if they will request a jump seat for you.

Manners are most important! This has always worked for me and I have always found BA to be very encouraging. Their pilots are a great bunch of guys.

foghorn
13th Feb 2001, 17:03
IMHO Licence not usually necessary, but politeness a must. The note is only really necessary on larger jets, a polite question at the door or later from your seat is fine on smaller aircraft.

Type the note if your handwriting's as bad as mine :) :) Try to spot who is the Cabin Services Director in the entrance and give the note to him/her.

The rest of the advice here is spot on. Has always worked for me.

scorpioflyer
14th Feb 2001, 17:31
Thanks for feedback, but what I didn't make clear was that I was thinking of writing in advance to someone (Chief Pilot ?) who could arrange it in beforehand, rather than leave it to chance on the day. But who and where?
Thanks aagin.

WGW
14th Feb 2001, 17:52
Writing in advance may help, but the letter may get lost before the rosters are confirmed.

I called Crew Operations at Heathrow (xxxx xxxxxxx) a couple of days before I flew. They gave me the captain's name for my flight number and offered to try to get a message to him. The lady I spoke too was a pilot herself, so was interested to hear that I was part way through a BA application.

Then I spoke to the dispatcher at the gate just before boarding and he led me down to the captain. He hadn't got the message (but don't let that put you off; they're not always that easy to contact), but was impressed that I already knew his name.

Had a great flight on a 757 LHR to GLA, even had the chance to stand in the cabin doorway and see the cabin crew off (tongue very firmly in cheek...)

:)

WGW

Edited by PPRuNe Dispatcher - the phone number given is not for public use!

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Dispatcher (edited 15 February 2001).]

Positive Climb
14th Feb 2001, 21:19
Scorpioflyer:

I would strongly suggest that you don't bother writing to anyone at BA beforehand. Firstly, Chief Pilots have far more important things to deal with day-to-day than such requests and secondly the decision rests solely with the captain on the day.

The rest of the advice given above is spot on - write a note and above all, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR LICENCE WITH YOU.

If you send me an e-mail with your exact flight details, I will send you the name of the rostered captain so you can write the note to him personally.

Good luck !

------------------
"positive climb"

"Gear up"

simfly
15th Feb 2001, 15:32
I go down to London every 2 months and just show them my airport ID when I board. Within minutes (or straight away) I get invited up front, never had a problem (except once with the purser!!)

------------------
[email protected]

The ground won't hurt you, if you hit it hard enough!

Pontius
15th Feb 2001, 22:54
Scorpio,

Don't bother writing beforehand; the Captain will almost certainly not get the letter and you'll be relying on something that hasn't happened.

As has been suggested previously, talk to the purser in your part of the aircraft on the day. Offer you licence if you have one but if you don't just expalin that you're going through pilot training. They don't need too many details because they'll probably forget it by the time they get to the top of the stairs (MCO=747-400).

Don't be too disappointed if nothing happens for take-off (lots of things going on etc, so the purser is likely to forget), however, gently remind them in-flight and talk to the pilots about staying up for landing, once they've had a look at you.

Don't telephone the number WGW gave. Firstly, it's not Operations, it's the Duty Flight Crew Manager and secondly if it was a woman that WGW spoke to, she ain't a pilot and I'm VERY surprised he managed to get any useful information from her......we never can and it's supposed to be her job to help us....we need your charm WGW!!

Enjoy Disney,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!

Positive Climb
16th Feb 2001, 19:50
Pontius,

"They don't need too many details as they'll probably forget by the time they get to the top of the stairs"

The CRM boys would have a field-day with that little gem ;-)

------------------
"You call me 'Positive Climb' and I'll ask for the gear up. We'll climb away at between V2 and V2 + 25"

SKYYACHT
16th Feb 2001, 21:11
Scorpio,.

If you want to e-mail me with your itinery, and flight number I will see if I can get it to the Operating Crew of the flight. I take it you are doing Sun'n'Fun.

Tailwinds

:) ;)

Sensible
18th Feb 2001, 01:17
Check your e-mail.

VFE
19th Feb 2001, 17:26
I flew out to Miami with BA last week and managed to get on the jumpseat for the landing and today, on the way back from Orlando was on the jumpseat for both the take-off and the landing.
Write a short polite note to the Captain and hand it to one of the CC and sit back, wait and see. Try not to hassle the CC.
It just worked for me!

Right, time for bed.

Good luck, VFE.

PS: Thanks again to the crews if you're reading.

no sponsor
19th Feb 2001, 21:33
SF,

I don't hold out much hope for you if you had the misery crew that I encountered 10 days ago on a flight to LAX.

I requested the jump seat on boarding the 744, but the purser said "we don't really allow that sort of thing any more." Actually that was the first time I'd heard that one. He obviously took me for a nutter. Anyhow, I remained polite, handed him my licence, and went to my seat. Sure enough it was declined.

On thinking about it later, the purser was too busy, and probably only went to the flightdeck minutes before pushback. The captain would normally need more time in order to brief you on evacuation, and oxygen procedures. Plus, the runway had changed to 27R from 09L.

It does seem to depend on the crew, but also on the time you board. Always try and get on as early as you can if you intend to request the jump-seat. I've had a good success rate, and fortunately, have had a 744 jumpseat before. It really is impressive.

If the chap says "we don't really allow that anymore". you'll know what to expect.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by no sponsor (edited 19 February 2001).]

VFE
19th Feb 2001, 21:48
I'll ditto that no sponsor.

Just try and politely point out that it's still at the Captains discretion or so you have heard through freinds. Failing that then I guess you've missed out - shame but somewhat understandable giving the recent freak event.
T/O may be out but who knows - they may have been asked by the Capt to keep an eye on you through the flight and then ask you up for the landing if you havn't dribbled, twitched and yelped at intervals throughout the flight.

Good luck, VFE.

Lucifer
20th Feb 2001, 15:33
Bear in mind that the crew may be training that day, and the cabin staff may have said that as she knew already. Unless you get the opportunity to speak to the cabin crew when they are not busy, do not keep hassling them, and bear in mind that there is a great deal going on prior to take off.

EDDNR
20th Feb 2001, 15:33
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">may have been asked by the Capt to keep an eye on you through the flight</font>

Highly unlikely. We do all our own screening thank you. It is very rare that we would offer someone the seat for T/O as we are so busy there is no time to "evaluate" you. In practise, we offer a visit during the cruise whilst the cabin crew remain in attendance and only if you pass our secret physc tests will you be asked back for the landing.

Rod

Positive Climb
20th Feb 2001, 18:47
Part of the problem for the real 'wannabes' is that now days every man and his dog thinks he is entitled to the jump-seat for take-off or landing.

For example, over the last six months I've had the following two incidents:

1. a woman claiming to be a nervous flyer asked to visit the f/d during the cruise - no problem. She then asked if it would be OK if she sat on the j/s for landing with a glass of champagne as this might help her overcome her fear !! (I swear this is a true story - we were absolutely gobsmacked !)

2. Just before take-off from Palma in the summer, the CSD said a guy who worked in ATC at Manchester asked if he could have the jump-seat. Of course we agreed straight away. This guy arrived on the flight-deck and he was the most disgusting looking urchin you could imagine and absolutely stunk of booze. We asked him what he did in ATC - he nervously laughed and said the hostie must have misunderstood him - he was actually unemployed, but was a dedicated spotter at the Airport hotel and "we must have seen him by the fence most weekends".
Afterwards, the CSD swore blind the guy had claimed he was a controller.

These are cases when flight-crew get very pissed off and it makes us inclined to refuse all requests which is a great shame.

The morale of my story is that if you are a genuine 'wannabe' then take something with you like a PPL licence (if you've got one) as I'm sure the captain on the day will be far more sympathetic to you. Otherwise, ask to go up in the cruise and if you show a genuine interest, 9 times out of 10 the skipper will ask you to stay for landing anyway.

The only times, we have to refuse j/s rides is if either pilot is training / being checked or if the weather is marginal.

Hope this helps !

------------------
"You call 'Positive Climb' and I'll ask for the gear up. We'll climb away at V2 +15"

[This message has been edited by Positive Climb (edited 20 February 2001).]

G SXTY
20th Feb 2001, 22:52
G SXTY's First ever jumpseat ride, on a yellow & purple 146 . . .

'Twas with great trepidation that I handed my little note to the FA as I boarded (together with log book & medical certificate) and asked if she could hand it to the captain. Not wishing to seem too cheeky, I had just asked if I could spend some time on the flightdeck, and didn't even mention the jumpseat.

I then took my seat (1D - clear view of the flightdeck) and tried not to look too much of a nutter. While my fellow slf was still boarding, the Captain popped out momentarily and had a good look in my direction (and probably noted that I was about a foot shorter than him, and not foaming at the mouth).

A couple of minutes later another FA walked up, handed back my log book and said; "Would you like to go up for the take off?" Trying to suppress a grin not unlike Jack Nicholson's in 'The Shining', I managed a; "Thank you, I'd love to." And so it was. Strapped in with my own headset from pushback to arrival at the gate, including a Cat 3a landing. Imagine having all your birthdays & Christmases together and getting onto 'Jim'll Fix It' at the same time. You get the picture.

Just write a short note, explaining why you're genuinely interested in seeing the flightdeck, attach licence / log book etc, be ultra polite, expect / assume nothing, and you might just get lucky.

I did, and for all you airline pilots reading this (including, I hope, the crew who invited me up) the privilege of a jumpseat ride gives a wannabe like me a massive boost to the confidence / determination, and more than compensates for all those dark days spent grounded by wx.

I just hope I'm in a position to do the same in a few years . . .

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

GJB
21st Feb 2001, 13:54
I am lucky to have been given jumpseats many times and have been upfront for entire flights.

When I have been knocked back for T/O, I have then been called forward for a 'brief' visit during the cruise. With this, I have then always been invited to stay up for the landing. Perhaps some Captains prefer to have the opportunity to 'assess' you at a non-critical part of the flight.

Your manners and how you conduct yourself are extremely important, so here are my pointers for jump-seating:

Be polite and shake hands with the crew when you meet them.

Quietly strap yourself in.

Keep quiet and still - don't do anything that will distract or disturb the crew.

Only speak when spoken to - it might be well into the flight, but perhaps this has been the 1st opportunity they have had? Now you can ask some questions or generally chat.

Know your aircraft callsign and listen out for it on the radio so you stop talking immediately.

Offer to leave the cockpit. If they like you then they will probably say you can stay up, unless you would prefer to do otherwise. I even eat with them, if they don't mind.

Finally, savour the experience - you are being given a wonderful insight to commercial flying and what a pilots job is really like.

Always remember to thank the crew and wish them well. Don't forget the cabin crew who approached the flight crew on your behalf!