PDA

View Full Version : Would appear SAAB are going to develop the Sea Gripen in the UK

NutLoose
26th May 2011, 22:55
See

Saab to complete Sea Gripen design work in UK (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/05/24/357137/saab-to-complete-sea-gripen-design-work-in-uk.html)

And I quote...

, the design centre "will capitalise on the UK's maritime jet engineering expertise",And the other motive is...............

Tallsar
26th May 2011, 23:00
Spicey stuff......could open up some interesting possibilities....:eek:

jamesdevice
27th May 2011, 00:14
which would earn more money for BAE?
100 Sea Gripens for the UK and India?
Or 100 Sea Typho0ns (Cyclones?) for the UK and India?
I see a conflict of interest looming soon

Willard Whyte
27th May 2011, 10:38
Blimey, have the Czech Navy put a bid in for HMS Queen Elizabeth already?

I doubt it would make it upstream on the Elbe/Vltava river all the way to Prague, and could it turn around once there?

Green Flash
27th May 2011, 10:53
South Africa has a lot of oggin around it.

South Africa allready has the Land Gripen.

Just a thought.:}

Willard Whyte
27th May 2011, 16:34
Same company.....much different on the road.

Both driven by gits though.

RileyDove
27th May 2011, 17:38
There isnt going to be a Sea Typhoon so no conflict of interest for BAe at all!

jamesdevice
27th May 2011, 18:44
Sea TYphoon & Sea Gryphon not competing? Thats why both are being actively marketed to the Indians for their carriers
They may have different capabilities, but the "buy" decision will be based on price / local jobs / backhanders and have nothing to do with actual capability.
The navy will get whatever the politicians want irrespective of use. And the same will apply to the UK...
They are both competing for the same pot of cash

ShortFatOne
27th May 2011, 19:48
"In 1995 Saab Military Aircraft and British Aerospace (now BAE Systems) formed the joint venture company Saab-BAe Gripen AB, to manufacture, market and support Gripen internationally. This co-operation was extended in 2001 with the formation of Gripen International for the same purpose.[7]

Since 1998 the British aerospace company BAE Systems has been the largest shareholder in Saab following its acquisition of a 35% stake from Investor AB by its predecessor, British Aerospace. In January 2005 BAE reduced its shareholding to 20%. Investor AB also maintains a 20% share. Investor AB hold 38% of the voting rights and is, with the other Wallenberg institutions, the majority owner."

With due thanks to WikiP

No conflict of interest as BAE has a foot in both camps!

jamesdevice
27th May 2011, 19:56
from the point of view of a customer choosing between Typhoon and Griffin its a pretty big conflict of interest. Precisely the point I was trying to make

ShortFatOne
27th May 2011, 21:32
jd,

the 2 aircraft are significantly different in their size, capabilities and costs. They are targeted at different markets, different requirements and are seen, at least by BAES/SAAB I should imagine, as complementary components in a global sales approach. Or something like that.

jamesdevice
27th May 2011, 22:09
are the naval versions of Griffon and Typhoon really aimed at different markets?
Surely theres one market for both: non-American carriers. I was going to say "third world" carriers, but we need them as well. No navy is going to buy both as part of a blended complementary force. Its one or the other
Hence the conflict

Hmm maybe "third world" is right after all....

GreenKnight121
28th May 2011, 06:46
No conflict for Brazil, that's for sure.

Their carrier can barely operate Rafale or F/A-18C with a light weapons load... there is no way Sea Typhoon could operate from her.

The much lighter Sea Gripen, however, would easily operate from Sao Paulo (ex-Foch), which is why SAAB is courting them.

jamesdevice
28th May 2011, 09:05
except here they are not built by the same company
One is by Eurofighter/EADS grouping
the other by the SAAB grouping
BAE is in a position to influence buyers into choosing whichever of the two IT prefers

and when you buy a car you've a choice of buying elsewhere from a different manufacturer or a different dealer. You don't with aircraft