PDA

View Full Version : Website hosting

P.Pilcher
26th May 2011, 11:13
I need to set up a new website for a friend and would appreciate the latest recommendations for a suitable host which won't cost an arm and a leg but will not suddenly and without warning pull the website as there is "insufficient traffic" as the site will not be a commercial venture.

P.P.

Mike-Bracknell
26th May 2011, 12:08
You have PM.

Jycommuter
26th May 2011, 12:49
Take a look at 1and1.co.uk. Good value packages which can be upgraded as required.

Tex37
26th May 2011, 12:57
Been using Hostgator for the last 3 years, never any problem and excellent customer support

Mike-Bracknell
26th May 2011, 14:40
Nice to see other people can advertise...

Sprogget
26th May 2011, 14:52
1&1, never again. That's all I'm saying...

Saab Dastard
26th May 2011, 17:36
Nice to see other people can advertise...
No, Mike, they aren't advertising. There is a difference between recommending a company or service that you have experience of (but no connection with) in response to a question, and advertising. I assume that you can tell them apart?

Mike-Bracknell
26th May 2011, 18:12
It is FAR too easy getting you to bite.
:E

mixture
26th May 2011, 18:29
P. Pilcher

Take a look at Goscomb.... Goscomb Technologies Limited (http://www.goscomb.net/hosting/reseller)

(and as a nod and a wink to Mike... no....I'm not advertising either ....:E )

P.Pilcher
27th May 2011, 14:38
Thanks ever so much for your recommendations everyone, and particularly Mike for his P.M. Now I have got some research to do.

P.P.

Keef
27th May 2011, 16:42
Just seen this. I was recommended to 34SP.com - the hosting provider for quite a few aviating friends, it turns out. I have nothing but praise for them.
One of the owners is a PPL.

The speed of response to questions is scary - like, e-mails often "by return". They were patient in educating me in how to set up stuff I'd not done before.

P.Pilcher
27th May 2011, 17:57
Thanks Keef:
Your comments are noted.

P.P.

critter592
28th May 2011, 00:33
I use Moonfruit (http://www.moonfruit.com/?cc=509413&gclid=CO2Ln9SyiakCFdFX4QodgWZ7jg) for my little corner of the Web.
Dead easy to use (it has to be), it offers several packages (free, but with ads, and payment, no ads.).

Never had a problem, and the tech support is rather good, should you encounter difficulty.

Usual disclaimer applies!

OFSO
29th May 2011, 17:00
I've got two sites (myself and my wife's) on Mr. Site, it's "build and run a website for idiots" but it serves the purpose and nobody has ever said to me "aren't your sites much too uncomplicated".

Gertrude the Wombat
29th May 2011, 19:54
I was recommended to 34SP.com - the hosting provider for quite a few aviating friends, it turns out. I have nothing but praise for them.

Seconded.

The best was when my web site broke over New Year (erm, needed to put the new year into a few dropdowns, didn't I) and I was travelling and had neither the code nor any of my passwords with me. After a couple of emails they fixed it for me for a very reasonable charge even though I couldn't prove who I was (no passwords) and couldn't pay them until I got home (no passwords). (However they have since said that they no longer provide a fixing-other-people's-code-for-them service, don't blame them really!)

mustpost
29th May 2011, 21:52
Another recommendation - namesco, no probs for 11 years, 6 sites..

WALSue
1st Jun 2011, 14:46
I've been using FreeVirtualServers.
100Mb bandwidth, 100Mb space and no adverts.
Perhaps I've got a very unpopular website but never had an issue with running out of space/bandwidth but for just a few quid more you can get this upgraded to unlimited.
So far no problems!