PDA

View Full Version : landing bump

747 forever
26th May 2011, 10:51
hi,
I was told that when landing on a plane the bump and stuff on touch down is caused by compression of the struts. If you do not deploy the spoilers until the struts are fully compressed you don`t get the bump. Is that true. I kind of think it is cause light aircrafts don`t have spoilers and when I land them well I get no bumps and can`t tell if we are on the ground. I would appreciate a nice explanation of that bump we feel on landing and what causes them and if the fact I provided is right to tell me. Thanks everybody

matkat
26th May 2011, 11:18
No it is not true on some aircraft the spoilers are deployed via transducers in the wheels on other the weight on ground switches signal the spoiler control box to deploy, this is done automatically via the spoiler deployment lever being armed by the pilot.

747 forever
26th May 2011, 12:46
oh, then what is the bump? I gonna correct that person

DX Wombat
27th May 2011, 14:04
oh, then what is the bump?This is often caused when the pilot fancies something different for his tea and takes aim, successfully, at some poor specimen of livestock silly enough to have decided not to use the zebra crossing to get from one side of the runway to the other. :ooh:

;)

AndoniP
27th May 2011, 15:30
hahaha :ok:

747 forever
28th May 2011, 05:08
ok, anything else?

Neptunus Rex
29th May 2011, 13:38
Yes, 747 Forever. You are partially correct and matkat is partially wrong. It depends on the type and how the spoilers are activated.

For example, the A330 spoilers when armed for landing, will deploy just after the rear wheels of the main bogies have touched, and will dump lift, giving your 'bump' as the front wheels of the bogies touch and the oleos compress. The proof of the pudding is the consistently smoother touchdowns on 'touch-and-go' landings during Base Training, when the spoilers are not armed.