PDA

View Full Version : Possible work experience in flight testing

slish
25th May 2011, 19:43
Hi,

I'm currently halfway through an Aeronautical Engineering degree at Imperial College London. Recently we were given the opportunity to go on a day-long flight test observer course at Cranfield, which I really enjoyed. Having failed to secure an internship over this summer, I've decided to start thinking about my plans for next summer well in advance (to avoid the same happening again, or even for the possibility of a last-minute placement this summer) and so was wondering what advice any of you may have with regards to finding an internship in flight testing...

Obviously I'm not asking if companies are going to take me on as a test pilot; despite limited flying and gliding experience, I would not call myself a pilot. I'm more interested in the likelihood of getting involved in the number crunching behind flight tests. Is anyone aware of internships/work experience being offered in these areas? And could anyone suggest some good companies to contact who may be able to help?

If this is not possible, I'd also welcome any advice on work experience in related engineering areas, as my heart isn't totally set on flight testing yet...

Cheers

Genghis the Engineer
25th May 2011, 21:39
Places to try:

Qinetiq at Boscombe Down

AgustaWestland at Yeovil

BAeS at Warton

P&M Aviation at Manton

CAA at Gatwick

NFLC at Cranfield

FRA at Hurn

LAA at Turweston

In each case, I'd say, look them up, do some homework, contact the head of flight test directly/Chief FTE/Chief Engineer directly, and ask very nicely by letter or email.

And best of luck.

G

slish
26th May 2011, 13:39
Thanks! Very useful list, I'll get on it as soon as exams are over... :8

Brian 48nav
26th May 2011, 16:33
There is also Marshall Aerospace at Cambridge.