PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Virgin.net access from router.

G-CPTN
25th May 2011, 16:32
I have been a Virgin.net customer since 2005 and have used a Netgear DG834G wireless router for most of that time.
I have moved house (physical location), but retained the same BT telephone number.

I have had no problems logging-on during this time, so I have never needed to remember the ADSL password (I have recovered the login name from my current router).

I have acquired a new router (Belkin F6D4630-4v1) which I intend to use at some time in the future.

My first question is:-
1) Will I be able to operate both routers simultaneously from the same BT telephone line?
(My reason for doing this is to be certain that the new router is connected and working correctly before disconnecting the old one.)

My second question is:-
2) How can I discover the ADSL password?
(I have a possible one in mind, but if it is incorrect, will I be logged-out from my current router - and, thereby, disconnected from the Internet?)

3) What other settings do I need to know when setting-up the new router?

mixture
25th May 2011, 17:15
1) Will I be able to operate both routers simultaneously from the same BT telephone line?
(My reason for doing this is to be certain that the new router is connected and working correctly before disconnecting the old one.)

Simultaneously as in both plugged in to phone line and powered on at the same time ? No.

Simultaneously as in plugging in one or the other continuously you are happy ? Yes, no problem.

2) How can I discover the ADSL password?
(I have a possible one in mind, but if it is incorrect, will I be logged-out from my current router - and, thereby, disconnected from the Internet?)

Ask your ISP ? And see answer to 1 in terms of answer to disconnecting, as long as you don't tamper with the settings on the "good" box, all it should need is a reboot.

3) What other settings do I need to know when setting-up the new router?

Try the defaults first before fiddling, in most cases the default MUX etc. settings work out of the box. This link may also be of some interest :

Connecting a Belkin Modem/Router to Virgin :: Technical Issues :: think broadband (http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/2595990-connecting-a-belkin-modemrouter-to-virgin.html)

srobarts
25th May 2011, 18:09
I always find it useful to go to the settings page of the router and print the page.
You should also ensure that you know the SSID, encryption type and encryption password - this saves having to change the settings on each of your PCs and devices connected wirelessly.
If you have enabled hardware access control on the router you will also need to know the MAC addresses of all PCs and devices that need to connect. Once again the easiest way is to print the page.