PDA

View Full Version : molded ear plugs

flyingsheep
25th May 2011, 00:29
Where can i find a place that does molded ear plugs in hk?

Thanks

Border Reiver
25th May 2011, 04:33
Got mine from Island Health in DB couple of years ago.

Night Watch
25th May 2011, 06:26
Got mine from Widex Hong Kong Hearing and Speech Centre (http://www.widexhongkong.com.hk/ws12/?lang=en&page=2&subpage=3)

They have an office Crawford House above H&M in Central. I just walked in, had my ears cast, paid approx $400 HKD and came back in a few days. Easy!

Capt Toss Parker
25th May 2011, 07:55
Do they work better than the business class orange spongy ones when blocking out noise?

Iron Skillet
25th May 2011, 15:10
A very nice girl will take care of you at Phonak in Central:

Phonak (Hong Kong) Hearing Centre
Room 702, Asia Standard Tower, 59-65 Queen's Road, Central, Hong Kong
Monday-Friday: 10:00am-6:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am-5:00pm
(852) 2525 0269
[email protected] ([email protected])

It takes about 15 mins to have the gel squished into each ear and harden, one at a time, then 5-6 weeks to get them back. Around 2200HKD I think.

They are not just ear plugs like foam sound barriers: There is a special filter recommended for pilots that blocks lots of noise and reduces the volume of what's going into your ears, and you can hear voice level sounds (radio, others) more easily while protecting your hearing with the lower noise level. You will find that you can turn down the speaker volume, or listen to the other side's speaker, when you put them in. They are not comfortable to wear with most headsets, so best only in cruise.

They also make you want to speak louder to hear yourself the same as without them, so speak more softly than you think you need to.

jed_thrust
25th May 2011, 22:16
Night Watch,

Do they work better (ie, are they quieter) than the yellow plugs?

And, can you sleep in your moulded ones?

joebanana
26th May 2011, 06:55
Do they work better (ie, are they quieter) than the yellow plugs?

And, can you sleep in your moulded ones?

They are better on the flight deck due to the filter that allows speech frequencies through, however they aren't quite as good when sleeping for the same reason.

I also find that they become uncomfortable after about 6 hours but that may just be a personal thing.

Night Watch
26th May 2011, 08:16
jed_thrust

Short answer.... Yes and Yes

Toruk Macto
26th May 2011, 09:14
Phonak ! Work well , very pleasant experience all round

cx_773er
26th May 2011, 09:14
Hi guys,
i'm fascinated by this thread. I didn't know that pilots were allowed to have earplugs in whilst operating an aircraft. So do CX allow pilots do wear them if they wish?

Is wearing earplugs common amongst pilots or is it something that only a few who do so?

Also is there any kind of specific earplug that pilots should get, i.e. a make/type specially designed for pilots?

Thanks a lot!

CX_773ER

LandingCheckComplete
26th May 2011, 12:03
Cx 773er

Depends how much you want to protect your hearing. My hearing was badly degraded and I found that these earplugs reduced the rate of hearing loss.

I used plugs made by a company called Elacin and there was a 15dB insert in them. Some guys have tried a 25dB insert but the reduction in volume was too much.

I agree with comments from previous posters - they do become uncomfortable after 6-7 hrs. Give them a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

LCC

D-ENIM
26th May 2011, 14:47
The Elacin MM12 is being marketed as suitable for airline pilots. Whether or not it was actually made for pilots, is quite another question.

FrankR
26th May 2011, 15:03
Hello CX_737_er

I HIGHLY recommend wearing earplugs whenever possible. Once you lose your hearing, you can't ever get it back!

Start with the foam-expanding type you can find for free around your office, just to start figuring it out. See if anyone comments. I have had a few custom plugs made, and they work better, but may be more uncomfortable depending on your headset.

A few observations I've learned over the years. Be extra vigilant when doing your preflight. It's your hearing that first alerts you to other aircraft or turning props! Remove the earplugs if they interfere in high workload environments. Please remove them when taking a tour of the cabin, passengers may not understand.

Oh, it's bad form to wear them in pilot meetings.

... Just my opinion.

FR

AAIGUY
26th May 2011, 16:36
Had a set of custom ones made in Bumrungrad in BKK some years back.
Super Cheap and comfortable.

Frogman1484
27th May 2011, 06:58
Do u still have the details from the Bumgrab. How did u organize it? Can you get them done in one day?

AAIGUY
27th May 2011, 12:10
No mate.. but they have a good website.
Get a hold of them.. No waiting.. First Class operation.

It takes a week or so. You go in, they make molds of each ear, then send them to be made. I think it was in the 2000 baht range.. ie 500 HK .. not the 2200 in town. That pays for the ticket down there, a hotel, and the first bar girl too.

If you happen to be a CMB Shuttle or something out of BKK, you can likely go on day 1, and get them back before you operate to HKG

Bob Hawke
28th May 2011, 01:56
Does anyone know if you can get Toss Parker plugs?

jamesflood1
7th Jun 2018, 17:07
Do you want your ears safe from damage? Then you need earplugs for your hearing protection. I am still finding the best provider they will provide the nice earplugs. Could anyone tell me the best hearing protection earplugs?

stilton
8th Jun 2018, 02:09
I’ve been using a molded ear plug with an adaptor attaching a plantronics boom mic
for decades

Comfortable, lightweight and nothing going over / clamping on your head

Wouldnt use anything else

corrigin
8th Jun 2018, 03:26
I’ve been using a molded ear plug with an adaptor attaching a plantronics boom mic
for decades

Comfortable, lightweight and nothing going over / clamping on your head

Wouldnt use anything else

Stilton,

Any single ear plug in your 'open' ear or do you have one moulded ear plug and an 'open' ear?

DropKnee
8th Jun 2018, 06:24
I have tried every type of ear plug available. I always come back to orange foam plugs. Comfortable, cheap and easily adjustable. If they cause issues with conversation. I just don’t stick em in so far. Easy to clean ( rubbish can), no worries if lost. Have lots of spares.
Good luck with your journey.

jolihokistix
8th Jun 2018, 08:05
At Bisley some years ago I had molded ones made for about 45 GBP. Tried them a couple of times, but they were a bit sweaty: their fit was too good. My ears could not breathe!
As a long-distance pax I always use noise-cancelling headphones until they start to hurt. Foam plugs are still probably the best easy solution as DropKnee says above. (In the cinema I usually have to make roll-ups out of tissue paper. Are young people so hard of hearing nowadays?)

stilton
10th Jun 2018, 05:10
Stilton,

Any single ear plug in your 'open' ear or do you have one moulded ear plug and an 'open' ear?

Just the one moulded ear plug and an open ear on the right CR

Best wishes

RMC
24th Jun 2018, 04:55
If you are looking for them to help you sleep......check this out

https://www.sleepmastereurope.com/blog

Kitsune
24th Jun 2018, 12:40
Oh, you mean the ones that European airlines provide free for cockpit crew...

300-600
15th Jul 2018, 13:17
RMC, I have put a lot of energy into optimising my sleep and have to say I hadn't heard of half the stuff in your link. Bought a couple of the most prominent sleep aids and they have worked a treat

Tea time
15th Jul 2018, 14:51
Have a look at Bose quiet control noise cancelling in ear headset , very lightweight extremely comfortable and allow your ears to breath . I find that it’s much easier to hear the radio and voice conversations when they are in . Better than the moulded ear plugs with the filters .The battery lasts for about 12 hours on a single charge

As for sleeping ,some of the companies offer a very soft silicone moulded plug which is comfortable enough to sleep in

of course the company could provide us all with lightweight noise cancelling personal headsets . Or NOT

anxiao
15th Jul 2018, 19:20
The company will never provide more than basic hearing protection, as it will be more difficult than the smoking agenda to prove that your hearing loss is due to sitting in a flight deck for 10,000 hours.

The company have been advised by their lawyers that they are safe from class action suits on hearing loss. So as a retiree I sit with my tinitus which I know was caused by sitting in an airline cockpit for 35 years with no redress. Take care of your ears guys, 'cos the company does not give a sxxt

Tea time
16th Jul 2018, 08:51
Anxiao
Tinnitus is supposedly a brain problem not a hearing problem , 1 in 5 adults suffer from some form of tinnitus during their lifetime , I believe that deaf people can also suffer from tinnitus , yet some people who have severely impaired hearing never develop tinnitus . There is a feedback mechanism in the brain , much like the squelch control on a radio . When it goes wrong the brain can’t turn down the squelch and tinnitus is the result . However doctors are seeing more and more younger people with tinnitus due to exposure to loud rock concerts , discos and unfettered use of in ear IPods
. Loud noises actually destroy the fragile hairs in the inner ear used for hearing, resulting in impaired hearing but not necessarily tinnitus , once these hairs are broken they do not recover ever , some animals are able to regrow these cillae but sadly not humans . They are having some success with injecting stem cells into the inner ear to promote regrowth but it won’t stop tinnitus which as I said earlier is a brain issue .
I’m sorry that you are suffering from tinnitus and I implore all pilots to look after their hearing because once it’s gone there is no way back.
it would be interesting to conduct a survey of airline pilots old and new suffering from tinnitus and see if there is a greater incidence amongst crew than the general population .
I took a reading on the flight deck recently 103-108db for 10 plus hours on a flight with higher peaks during radio calls . Not good for your ears

TurningFinalRWY36
16th Jul 2018, 09:59
what aircraft has a flight deck db reading of 100+ in cruise? that is insane, the airbus is significantly quieter it seems

oriental flyer
17th Jul 2018, 08:39
Yup the airbus is very quiet , 777er is terribly noisy both on the flight deck and down the back , most of it is generated from recirculating fans. I don’t know if it’s as high as 100db but it’s noisy

OK4Wire
18th Jul 2018, 05:21
I tried a free app yesterday (so that probably answers my own question about accuracy!) and got 75dB in the cruise, with radio calls increasing it to 82dB.

M0.85 and FL400.

oriental flyer
18th Jul 2018, 14:27
Which aircraft , if it’s the A350 I can quite believe it , 777er is very noisy

OK4Wire
18th Jul 2018, 23:00
It was the A50 - I'll try the other Airbus tonight.

VforVENDETTA
19th Jul 2018, 16:03
Thoughts on these?

https://youtu.be/YXR_wVFBktY

jamesflood1
21st Oct 2018, 06:57
I need a suggestion for buying molded musician ear plugs. So could anyone tell me and suggest me buy the best one?