PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff - Rhoose Airport

airsmiles
23rd May 2011, 18:46
One of the few airports I've never been to is Cardiff and business takes me there on Friday. Is there much scheduled and charter traffic to see at Cardiff and where's the best viewing point?

Sad though it may be, I'm hoping to see some BA aircraft and the two 747's G-BNLB & G-BNLC in particular. Are they still there? I always think you get a much different perspective of airliners at provincial airports than at the major airports.

Any assistance would be gratefully received as I'll only have a short time for 'off duty' viewing!

Thanks
airsmiles

MAN777
23rd May 2011, 19:56
I visited Cardiff for the 1st time in 25 years recently and it has to be said it was busier on my 1st visit !!!

I found the best place was the beer garden / terrace of the flying club on the south side of the airfield, great view of the runway and the BA hangar. Reasonable food and cheap beer as well.

Suggest you study timetable first if you want to see something move.

airsmiles
27th May 2011, 19:40
I called in at Cardiff today and was seriously under-whelmed. All I saw on the apron was a BMI Baby B737! I didn't realise it was virtually dead!

On the BA maintenance parking area all I saw were 2 B747's (G-BNLU and G-BNLB). What happened to the other long-term B747 resident G-BNLC? Has this now been scrapped?

mathers_wales_uk
28th May 2011, 15:58
The best place is on the balcony of the Rhoose Flying Club as been previosuly said from outside the airport.

Inside the terminal the best place would be in the landside bar on the first floor which you can see right over to the British Airways Maintenance Hangar.

Airside bar shows good views of stands 1-7

According to the South Wales Aviation Group website these are the current stored BA aircraft at CWL.

G-BNLB B744 (Red nose from the Red nose day charity pull)
G-BNLC B744 (Titles removed and engineless southside if i'm right)
G-BNLU B744

There are a few other aircraft inside the hangars also which maybe positioning in/out on the day you visit if your lucky.

For a view of the departure boards from last friday click here (http://cardiffstathan.********.com/2010/06/boards-friday-25062010.html)

airsmiles
29th May 2011, 14:29
I think it was BNLB next to BNLU, with both next to the adjacent maintenance hangar. I didn't see any other BA a/c during a quick drive round the airfield. Shame, as BNLC is the only BA 747 I've never seen.

mathers_wales_uk
31st May 2011, 14:36
G-BNLC is southside engineless and all titles and logos removed. After my post i have also seen that G-BNLB has now also had all it's titles and logos removed inlcuding its red nose i was talking about. Both above are due to be broken up according to Jethros.

G-BNLU is to re-enter service according to the same website.