PDA

View Full Version : Webcam output?

tony draper
23rd May 2011, 15:17
Might seem a daft question but I have never had or ever pottered about with a webcam so am a stranger to them.
Does the output of a webcam have to be processed through a puter in order to show its output? ie could I just plug one into the USB socket on me posh new telly and see the image from it?.
:)

oldbeefer
23rd May 2011, 16:26
Might seem a daft question, but why would you want to?

tony draper
23rd May 2011, 16:30
Dunno, no particular reason Mr Beefer,one is cursed with a childlike curiosity and likes to know these things,one was pottering about with memory sticks in said USB socket and the thought struck.

mixture
23rd May 2011, 16:39
Does the output of a webcam have to be processed through a puter in order to show its output? ie could I just plug one into the USB socket on me posh new telly and see the image from it?

Yes it does. Drivers for the hardware and software to view the video.

But hey.... if you don't believe me, try it out .... can't do any harm.

N.B. You could always plug it in indirectly via a laptop of course.

MosquitoAce
23rd May 2011, 18:54
the usb socket on the TV is read memory stick like devices. So your Tv will expect to folders and files. I suspect your webcam output is just a stream of digital video and so you'll need a computer to convert to a picture

A A Gruntpuddock
23rd May 2011, 19:46
Googled 'webcam on tv' and found this

Logitech® TV Cam (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/accessories/devices/tv-cam)

tony draper
23rd May 2011, 21:31
Yer IP cameras seem to be taking over from standard video CCTV Cameras in the world of big brother one used to inhabit,suppose one better lay one's hand on one and see what the score is,saw some early versions and was not that impressed but things move on.