PDA

View Full Version : THIS IS HOW TO PASS THE JAA ATPL(A) EXAMS!

taildragger2
15th Feb 2001, 20:46
HI ALL
As you will know if you read my other thread I am trying to get together as many Q+A from JAA ATPL exams as possible but face a problem!

1) When I have enough questions how can I distribute them to you lot?

2) How do I overcome any problems of copyright etc

.................DISCUSS!>>>>>>>>>>>>>TD2

EX FTE
15th Feb 2001, 20:56
If you were to publish JAA Exam questions then you would be infringing copyright and when they track you down you will almost certainly find it very difficult to get an ATPL as you will be disqualified due to cheating!! (You know that little note against each post that says IP logged? Thats your personal homing beacon!!)

Now I am not saying dont do what you are trying to; its just that the schools that provide the training course do already have immense amounts of 'revision' questions. Of course these are not straight copies of the exam questions as that would be cheating! These are just very accurate pointers as to what is examinable!!

U know; the JAR exams are passable with a little effort and study. Contrary to popular belief the best thing to do is learn the subject matter and not just the multi choice answers!! After all, at your first interview when the Chief Pilot says 'can you explain the operation of a gas turbine' you cant say 'Answer B'.

Are you actually on a course now? Have you asked your school? When you pay that wedge of cash over to them you will find that they generally do help when you ask!!!

taildragger2
15th Feb 2001, 21:17
OK cheers,

So I can give people very accurte actual exam style questions? but obviously notthe real things, as the last thing I want is to get the backs up at CAA HQ!

............If I can help, ....I will!

Mr Magoo
16th Feb 2001, 02:19
Last summer when I was doing my writtens there was a lot of fuss and bother about questions and answers being posted up on the net. Personally I had a quick look at some of them and treated them with a LARGE dose of salt.

For what it's worth my advice is to ignore stuff trawled off the web, pay attention to the lectures and get your groundschool to clear up any points you're unsure of.

I was at Cabair and the final mock exams and debriefs were worth a massive amount more than anything scanned onto websites.

As I say that's just my opinion but it sure worked for me!!

Cheers

Magoo.

batty
16th Feb 2001, 12:14
There has been so much scare mongering about the JAR exams for the ATPL's over the last year. It is a new system and it is difficult, I was on the third sitting of the exams last year, I passed all 14 first time. How? By studying every hour that god sent for weeks and weeks. Yes do any questions that you can lay your hands on but more importantly study the notes learn them inside out. The exams are passable, looking for shortcuts is just waisting your time.
Sorry to be blunt!

taildragger2
16th Feb 2001, 14:37
I Think you get me wrong?

My intention is not to look for shortcuts but to offer myself and others some extra JAR style feedback Q+A for those who find their particular schools questions not enough or simply want more! Don't forget practice papers etc are 25% of exam technique and can make the difference between passing and failing! Of course you have to study hard to learn the books but if you can then fine tune your skills with Q+A why not???.............TD2

man-flex45
16th Feb 2001, 15:08
Why not trying to create a "JAR questions NAPSTER".
Or something like this .

taildragger2
16th Feb 2001, 17:50
A JAA Napster!

Thats a great idea but I need to be wary as if I break any copyright etc it's game over for my flying career. As much as I want to help anyone out there all I can I must first make sure it's all legal. At the mo. I'm head down and in the books for my exams in March but after that I should have a week or two to gather all the Q+A I have up and get them ready to be used by others. My goal is to get 500 near identical JAR Q+A for each subject. I'm talking to people in Europe about some of their feedback so fingers crossed I may have quite alot!....................................................... ..Keep working!.................TD2

FLY BY NIGHT
16th Feb 2001, 20:39
Stop being so hard on the poor fellow. Very few people would attempt these exams without first doing practice papers. The schools that are favoured most are the ones know for a good data base of questions. The CAA. will not ban you or even care. Pete Lyons has been doing this for years with questions that are word for word.

Flyingspaniard
18th Feb 2001, 23:23
I think td2 has a good idea here. No one is suggesting that it isn't important to study. I for one have not spent that much time on FB questions yet was able to pass the first eight I did first time. However having just taken the Instruments, Opps and Radnav exam I can honestly say that no amount of study gets you ready for the obtuse way that some of the questions are asked. The only way to be prepared for them is to see feedback.

Believe it or not I agree with Mr Magoo in as much as Feedback has to be taken with a pinch of salt. The feedback on my site is definately not 100% accurate and the truth is I have probably remembered the questions I felt were tough for me, leaving out the ones I found easy because in the exam I didn't have to think too hard.

This said though you can never be too prepared. Furthermore I smiled to myself in the exam when I saw a question on tornadoes that I had seen on Big Red Jumbos site, and another question on Magnetism that I had seen on the web.

In the run up to the exam when you have done all the possible reading that you can, having a bank of questions to trawl through can be a lifesaver.

Finally lets not forget that not everybody taking these exams is studying at a large establishment with 1000s of questions. These guys would be very grateful for anything they can get hold of, web or otherwise.

taildragger2
19th Feb 2001, 15:34
Flying spaniard and fly by night.

Cheers guys, it's nice to see students who are on my wavelength! Who said anything about not taking time to study? If anything I find that running through Q+A highlight any grey areas you have and that in turn encourages you to study harder! anyway Flyingspaniard is there any chance of seeing your " Large school up the M40 " sample questions, are you in Bournemouth? get back to me if you can .......................................................Tailw inds............TD2

T-key
19th Feb 2001, 21:29
The feedback idea is great and very useful, but I've just spent time half-way up the M40, and the instructors there are getting very ******-off with their questions being put on the web - word for word. Some are threatening to stop publishing feedback in any way. Yes we need the questions, but please don't directly copy theirs - Big Red jumbo even has the instructors name written on the bottom - standy by for a copyright infringement case. If I dont't get the feedback because of you lot breaching copyright I'll be ****** fed-up.

Snigs
20th Feb 2001, 01:08
TD2 and others,

I admire your ambition and drive (I really do), but I'm also pleased to see some other people saying what I said in a previous post! All the best!

taildragger2
20th Feb 2001, 20:29
Thank you all for the post etc
If any of you need any Q+A just e-mail me and i'll see what I can do for you. Oh apart from T-Key coz we don't want to upset any over paid flight schools do we! DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU. Myself and others on this thread are doing this for the benefit of all JAA students and don't intend to break any copyright laws etc etc so stop moaning and try using them, it may even help you! No Q+A that I use are direct copies of any schools feedback, they are just JAA style questions that anyone is welcome to. Once again thanks for the responses and BRJ we all appreciate your effort............................Sour grapes...............TD2