PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Electras

mmeteesside
20th May 2011, 22:20
Do Atlantic now only have the 1 Electra left flying? G-LOFE working out of Leipzig (to Katowice on NPT612/613) for DHL... the route that used to be a stronghold for them (Bournemouth-Jersey NPT543/544) now appears to be a Titan 737.

Dawdler
25th May 2011, 16:10
There is one minus engines between the hangars. The Museum part of the company are hoping soon to have a redundant Electra "signed over" to then to include as an exhibit.

At one point I believe they had the biggest (working) fleet of Electras in the world and I think they had nine at the time.

Daysleeper
25th May 2011, 19:47
At one point I believe they had the biggest (working) fleet of Electras in the world and I think they had nine at the time

To my memory 7 was the most that had a valid CofA at any one time Usually at least 1 would be in on check. But I'm sure someone will be along in a moment to correct me...

[Spotter mode] The largest fleet would have been LOFB, LOFC, LOFD, LOFE, FIJR, FIJV and the odd prop FIZU [/spotter mode]

LOFA had gone to corrosion by the time the ex hunting beasts with new fangled contraptions like proper artificial horizons and an APU arrived.

There were a few others kicking about at Cov, the ex-olson ones became FF FG and FH for registry reasons at one point.

LN-KGL
27th May 2011, 08:29
[Spotter mode] The largest fleet would have been LOFB, LOFC, LOFD, LOFE, FIJR, FIJV and the odd prop FIZU [/spotter mode]

LOFD was de-registered on 12 Feb 2010
FIJR was de-registered on 8 Oct 2010

Both went to Canada

thetimesreader84
27th May 2011, 12:09
I have seen both the "peak" of NPT electra ops, and the draw-down (and been a part of it, I suppose). DaySleeper has the maximum airworthy fleet correct, I think another few were registered for financial reasons, although there were various paperwork / spares issues on those.

All have gone to Canada, except the two still flying, with 'FBs wing being damaged beyond economical repair, and 'JR having severe corrosion I believe.

Atlantic Management say they will still be flying until 2013, but the rumour is both will be gone by the end of the year, one to ConAir and the other to Buffalo.

akerosid
27th May 2011, 17:36
It will be sadly missed; we used to get the Electras into Jersey, arriving at about 5am and then leaving at 7.30pm; where I live, in the north of the island, they would often fly overhead after departure, climbing low and slow. Great sound!

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-LOFB (CN: 1131) Atlantic Airlines Lockheed L-188C Electra by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6326077&nseq=1)
JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-FIZU (CN: 2014) Atlantic Airlines Lockheed L-188C Electra by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6268973&nseq=3)

Akrapovic
27th May 2011, 18:40
What are the company replacing them with?

akerosid
28th May 2011, 04:58
They are being replaced by ATPs.

Daysleeper
28th May 2011, 07:07
LOFD was de-registered on 12 Feb 2010
FIJR was de-registered on 8 Oct 2010

Both went to Canada

Yeah I guess the high point would have been about 2007 ish. Interesting destinations, mix of sched and ad-hoc, good bunch of folk.

What are the company replacing them with?

Dunno if this is still the case but apparently the group has the A320F on order, should be interesting. Of course they could go to one of the other group companies.

West Atlantic, parent of ERA member West Air Sweden, has become the first operator to order the Airbus A320 P2F (passenger-to-freight conversion) from Aercap, the lessor which has worked with Airbus as launch customer.

West Atlantic will lease three aircraft from Aercap, which has ordered 30 A320 P2Fs from Airbus Freight Conversions (AFC).

The AvgasDinosaur
29th May 2011, 09:57
What happened to the two ( or was it three) TU-204s that were being operated at one time ? I think leased from Egyptian owners.
Be lucky
David

N707ZS
29th May 2011, 22:24
I hear Buffalo bought one of the Reeves Electra's and flew it back to Canada late 2010, is there any hope for the other one?

darren13
29th May 2011, 22:32
One electra was parked at hurn this morning,sorry i could not see the reg.

thetimesreader84
30th May 2011, 00:01
If it comes (there's a certain degree of skepticism - a kind of "i'll believe it when I see it" mentality) the A320 is supposed to go to WestLux. Having said that, its all gone very quiet on that front, and you never know what madcap schemes management are drawing up.

The (2 as far as I was aware) Tu-204s were being "evaluated" - the only way they could be used on the AOC at that time i believe. I think AA management were lured in by the thought of a brand new 757 size aircraft for the cost of a used 737. That is until they realised that the price was for the Russian certified version, the JAR/EASA one would be 10x the original cost. That and the spares had to come from Vladivostock. Still, they are still flying for Cairo Aviation out of LEJ on a night, and presumably doing alright for themselves.

The only replacement for an Electra at this moment in time is 2 ATPs. Any serious desire to replace the Electra would have seen things happening by now (crews being trained, a/c arriving or orders placed).

JOE-FBS
30th Jul 2012, 14:05
Freshly repaired Electra G-LOFC has spent the last few hours flying circuits at Coventry. It's been a joy to see and I hope the second one (G-LOFE) is repaired again soon as well.

As far as I can tell from working in an office at Coventry for the last few months, these are the only two left flying but I am prepared to be wrong.

PS they have recently added a second(?) 737 Classic freighter.

yorky66
5th Aug 2012, 19:09
Electra LOFC was back on duty at Hurn a couple of days ago.

Usual replacements are 737s JMCL and JMCM.