PDA

View Full Version : SIA321 - A380 - Return to LHR

The_Steed
20th May 2011, 22:16
Looks like SIA321 has turned around at about AMS and is returning to LHR.

iamhives
20th May 2011, 22:47
Yes, just happened to see that also on flightradar24

Looks like it landed safely

The_Steed
20th May 2011, 22:50
Apologies if this turns out to be a non-event, but my curiosity was raised by the fact that it carried out a pretty much straight in approach after it turned back (would there be issues about an overweight landing or would it have burnt off enough fuel) pitched against the fact that landing on 27R at LHR meant it overflew central London (which would suggest whatever was wrong was minor).

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st May 2011, 09:15
I'm afraid that given the location of Heathrow and the fact that westerly landing is "preferntial", just about any flight will fly over central London. What alternative is there?

Richard J.
21st May 2011, 15:54
westerly landing is "preferential"

At night the preference direction alternates weekly (as opposed to daytime when it's always a westerly preference). It so happened that this week it's 27R/9L at night, with westerly preference.

Actually the A380 didn't overfly central London, just some expendable suburbs like Greenwich and Chiswick. :) And the landing track/height/speed looked entirely normal.

Fargoo
21st May 2011, 18:04
Apologies if this turns out to be a non-event, but my curiosity was raised by the fact that it carried out a pretty much straight in approach after it turned back (would there be issues about an overweight landing or would it have burnt off enough fuel) pitched against the fact that landing on 27R at LHR meant it overflew central London (which would suggest whatever was wrong was minor).

Several tyres deflated after landing and taxiing off of the runway so I can only assume it was overweight on landing and had very high brake temps.

Anyone heard why it turned round?

scanhorse
21st May 2011, 18:42
from other souse :

a report on T W I T T E R said electrical fault

scanhorse
21st May 2011, 19:32
SIA321D GOT OFF ?? [21:28:51]
: Reg: 9V-SKD
yes he did
: going home , with new tyres

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st May 2011, 20:14
Richard J.. Thanks for that. I'm a retired Heathrow Radar Controller and I think you'll find that a great number of Heathrow inbounds do overfly Central London on either a base leg or a closing heading for the ILS from the north.... keeping in mind that if one fell out of the sky a few miles either way wouldn't matter too much!

scanhorse
23rd May 2011, 09:23
Singapore A388 near Amsterdam on May 20th 2011, electrical problems

Report on AVherald

Incident: Singapore A388 near Amsterdam on May 20th 2011, electrical problems (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=43d0149b&opt=0)

Best Regards

Groundloop
23rd May 2011, 09:43
At night the preference direction alternates weekly (as opposed to daytime when it's always a westerly preference). It so happened that this week it's 27R/9L at night, with westerly preference.

But that nightime alternation programme is pretty meaningless as it also states:-

"the runway to be used if weather conditions... ...preclude selection of the preferred runway".

I would reckon 90% of the time the surface wind would decide which landing direction to use - not some "political" choice.

Richard J.
24th May 2011, 17:58
But that nightime alternation programme is pretty meaningless as it also states:-
"the runway to be used if weather conditions... ...preclude selection of the preferred runway".

I would reckon 90% of the time the surface wind would decide which landing direction to use - not some "political" choice.

I haven't been able to find any figures for wind speeds at LHR at night, but remember that the preferred runway is used unless it would have a tailwind of more than 5 knots. In other words, when an 09 runway is preferred at night, it will be used unless the wind is 5 knots or more westerly. Since (I believe) wind speeds over land are generally lower at night, I suspect that the "political" choice is used rather more than 10% of the time.

Skipness One Echo
24th May 2011, 20:43

Blimey how come I lived under the approach path for so long and never noticed this!? Does someone have a link?

Cheers!

Richard J.
24th May 2011, 22:24
Heathrow noise: Home page (http://www.heathrowairport.com/noise) and then click on 'Runway Alternation (PDF)' for this year's schedule or 'Noise Factsheets' for other information.

Runway alternation at night started in 1999, though the preference rules may have been revised more recently.