PDA

View Full Version : Private Eye story about Puma upgrade

814man
20th May 2011, 22:01
Any thoughts about this story:
Private Eye | Official Site (http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=hp_sauce&)

AN unpopular plan to upgrade the RAF’s fleet of Puma helicopters by sending them to the other side of Europe for a £300m refit was ditched in 2009 because Labour MPs feared that carrying out the upgrading and maintenance work in Romania would provoke a “voter backlash”.

Back then the Times reported: “Labour MPs are worried about the reaction of voters amid rising unemployment in Britain.” But under the coalition the decision has been quietly reversed; and the RAF is busily crating up its Pumas at RAF Benson in Oxfordshire and sending them to Eurocopter Romania by, er, road.

The basic maintenance, overhauls, inspections and upgrades will be carried out by Romanian workers at Eurocopter’s factory near Bucharest. Each convoy is made up of “wide load” trucks led by an NCO in a Convoi Exceptionnel warning van, together with an extra truck full of spare parts for the journey. RAF markings are concealed to avoid embarrassment.

Once upgraded, the helicopters will then be crated up again and driven all the way back to RAF Benson. Certification to allow them to fly back to the UK is unavailable because they are not allowed to be flight-tested while in Romania.

Not too sure that labour should have been worried about this potential vote loser in 2009. I think that there may well have been some other factors that led to a voter backlash!

jamesdevice
20th May 2011, 22:25
well presumably Westland didn't want to touch the upgrade because they just wanted to sell more Merlins, and Romania would be cheaper than France to do the work. I'd guess that Westland's assembly jigs were all scrapped anyway when the Weston-super-Mare plant closed (the last batch were built there, not Yeovil)
As the Merlin was proving to be a reliability pain, what else could the Goverment do? Upgrade the spare anti-sub Sea Kings as transport cabs? Still slow and even older. Buy Black Hawks? Cheap if purchased direct, but don't Westland hold an exclusive licence for UK sales (remember they built one during the Thatcher years). Westland weren't likely to accept a build order for Black Hawks while they wanted to build Merlins

Rigga
20th May 2011, 22:40
A good source tells me this has happened since the very start of the programme - except they went from Kiddlington instead of Benson.

Romania built many Pumas on licence from Aerospatiale who are actually the design authority/OEM.

FYI they also built "RomBAC" BAC1-11's in the 70's and 80's. So they have a history of good manufacturing processes for that size of aircraft which, to be honest, EC-UK probably had very little or no experience, having only dealt with Dauphins as their largest so far (I spent some months there, monitoring a few conversions, a couple of years ago).

Could be the last?
21st May 2011, 06:29
I'd heard that the upgrade is under review as part of PR11, and is likely to be scrapped?

And with the Merlin Force going to the RN, it doesn't bode well for SH remaining 'light-blue'........!

21st May 2011, 06:54
Or, more likely, the Chinook buy doesn't happen, the Merlins don't go to the RN and the future of the FAA looks far more uncertain - no FJ, only Sea Kings due out of service and a few Lynx/Wildcat - not much of an 'arm'.

Jollygreengiant64
21st May 2011, 11:06
...The Fleet Air Finger, FAF.:E

Door Slider
21st May 2011, 11:11
I'd heard that the upgrade is under review as part of PR11, and is likely to be scrapped?

Everything is under review as part of PR11, nothing is ring fenced.

Tiger_mate
21st May 2011, 11:28
Cut and paste from a letter that I have seen written by the Rt Hon Dr Liam Fox MP.

SDSR had two main priorities: To ensure that our mission in Afghanistan was protected; and to set a path tp a coherent Defence capability in 2020. We faced a number of difficult choices as we sought to meet these priorities whilst also making a contributon to reducing overall Govt expenditure, albeit at a lower level than other Govt Depts.

We have made it clear that the SDSR was a point of departure not the end of the line. We have set a path to 2020 and beyond with regular reviews every five years. The first period from 2010 to 2015 is a period of rebalancing our strategic direction; the period from 2015 to 2020 will be about regenerating capability and achieving overall vision.

I draw from this that we cannot complain about the services being Afghan centric when the direction from Govt is indeed Afghan centric. ...and secondary, if any development or purchase will not see service in 2020, I cannot see how it will survive the coming months. The potential for negative headlines associated with Pumas survival based upon foreign contracts when there is a UK helicopter industry in need of contracts must be very high. Added to a pretty weak coalition and a Labour Govt who see their own stronger coalition Govt in the making must make any risk of bad news untenable.

Heathrow Harry
21st May 2011, 12:39
Yeah - the Romanians have always had an active aeroplane industry - they were building strike aircraft into the 90's of their own design and upgraded a lot of MiG's as well

You see RomAF Pumas all the time if you are there

They also built the BN-Islander for a long time and they were shipped back to Bembridge for painting

TBH we'll probably get a decent job done at a reasonable price compared to doing it here or in France

Hilife
22nd May 2011, 19:50
Talking of price and as this is a rumour network, I hear on the grapevine that the LEP costs have escalated substantially as a result of engine issues.

Rakshasa
22nd May 2011, 20:49
We have made it clear that the SDSR was a point of departure not the end of the line. We have set a path to 2020 and beyond with regular reviews every five years. The first period from 2010 to 2015 is a period of rebalancing our strategic direction; the period from 2015 to 2020 will be about regenerating capability and achieving overall vision

Ah, good old "Jam Tomorrow". :ugh:

Squidlord
26th May 2011, 12:01
Umm, I'm no expert on this but my understanding is that the Puma upgrade work always was going to be done in Romania. And that's still the case. This Private Eye thing feels like a garbled non-story to me. In harking back to 2009, I think they are referring to debates over whether the upgrade should proceed at all, not where the work should be done.

Could be the last? writes:

Does this mean that this is untrue:

MoD and Treasury agree deal to plug £1bn funding gap | UK news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/08/ministry-defence-treasury-agree-deal)

In particular:

the Treasury has agreed to pay for upgrades to Puma helicopters used by troops in Afghanistan out of the special reserve, a move that would save £250m from the core defence budget

If it's true, it sounds like the Puma upgrade is pretty well "ring fenced"!

TorqueOfTheDevil
26th May 2011, 13:27
the Puma upgrade work always was going to be done in Romania. And that's still the case

Are you sure? I'd heard that the venue had changed (but still not UK).

the LEP costs have escalated substantially

Bye bye to any frills then...

NutLoose
21st Jun 2011, 15:05
One wonders who is actually doing the upgrade as most of the Romanian populace are living and claiming in the UK.

pr00ne
21st Jun 2011, 17:12
NutLoose,

One wonders at the offensive nature of your inaccurate racist post...

Airborne Aircrew
21st Jun 2011, 17:17
Pr00ne:

Just to be accurate "Romanian" is a nationality not a "race"...

You need to see a doctor about that horrible knee jerk... :rolleyes:

Henry09
21st Jun 2011, 17:18
Pr00ne

I don't find Nutloose's post either offensive or racist. My how times have changed! :rolleyes: I don't think you have ever lived in central London have you?

jamesdevice
21st Jun 2011, 18:55
"One wonders who is actually doing the upgrade as most of the Romanian populace are living and claiming in the UK"

The Romanian Gypsies of course. They always get all the scrap metal deals

NutLoose
21st Jun 2011, 19:23
Well thank you for that Pr00ne....... :ugh:

One never meant any offence period............

pr00ne
22nd Jun 2011, 19:26
Henry09,

I live RIGHT in the middle as it happens, lovely eclectic diverse place that it is.

Nutloose,

If no offence intended then all is fine fine. Just insultingly inaccurate then.

barnstormer1968
22nd Jun 2011, 22:33
Can someone help me out please.:confused:

Ive read a post from Proone calling someone racist when NOT even talking about any race, then when corrected (and not admitting error), continues to call someones post insultingly inaccurate!

Am I missing something. Is Proone a Romanian, or are they feeling insulted on the behalf of others....Who may not feel insulted in the slightest (just as other posters may have not felt insulted).

I have heard of folks who like to be insulted for others benefit, and am wondering if this is what is occuring in this instance. Perhaps this is just an instance of a poster forgetting to add 'IMHO' and so making their post appear to be fact.:E

xenolith
23rd Jun 2011, 07:30
One wonders who is actually doing the upgrade as most of the Romanian populace are living and claiming in the UK

I dont think that this is racist, simply a stab at good old british, tongue in cheek, humour such as you may see on the TV on almost any night of the week. It is a shame that such an innocuous remark is regarded as racist however, in the interests of fair play (we Brits are good at that) perhaps NutLoose could tell us just how many Romainians are actually in this country and how many of them are actually claiming.:ok:

lovely eclectic diverse place that it is.

Of course one mans idea of eclectic diversity is another mans idea of a dogs dinner of an immigration policy

dakkg651
23rd Jun 2011, 07:55
Barnstormer.

It wasn't a post from PPrune.

It was from some humourless PC martyr named prOOne. :ugh:

Jig Peter
23rd Jun 2011, 14:45
PPrôône - Isn't that a fruit with a stutter and dark, wrinkled skin? A bit nutty inside, too ...
Just wondering ...

Stuart Sutcliffe
23rd Jun 2011, 16:28
Pr00nes? They make I fahhhhhrt, they do! :p

Unchecked
23rd Jun 2011, 17:22
Puma upgrade.......anyone?

NutLoose
23rd Jun 2011, 19:28
Puma upgrade.......anyone?

Best one would be called Blackhawk!

Please note Ppr00ne, although the Blackhawk is an American Indian tribe I am in no way infering the Blackhawk tribe should up sticks and move to the UK......

Just getting that straight, one doesn't want you putting on your pearly Queen suit, leaving the sound of Bow Bells and coming up north to give me a good seeing to with your musical spoons..............:eek:

:p

jamesdevice
23rd Jun 2011, 19:57
how about a new build of Westland WG30, using the engine & transmission from the Lynx Wildcat?
Minimal design cost with that idea

Rakshasa
23rd Jun 2011, 20:38
If we're doing wish lists, then the least flying pig solution would probably be to try to snag the Dutch Cougars.

chinook240
24th Jun 2011, 14:06
Back to the original thread:

First upgraded RAF Puma flies: key.Aero, Military Aviation (http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=3404&thisSection=military)

ARINC
24th Jun 2011, 14:51
Pity they can't send them to Fleetlands.....which is soon to become Eurocopter too !

t43562
24th Jun 2011, 16:01
I have no right to post here but I thought I might timidly point to this:

Atlas Oryx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Oryx)

The Oryx is apparently a remanufactured Aérospatiale SA 330 Puma. Good things have been said about them. I'll quote one bit:
"South Africa chose the IAR airframe over existing airframes due to the Romanians use of carbon-composite materials which are lighter, stronger and also include sponson fuel tanks which give an extended range."

I'm just mentioning this because it seems that the Romanians do probably have unique experience and skills and it might not make sense to build uk capability in upgrading an outmoded system that is on it's last upgrade. This is just my uninformed impression.

Hilife
24th Jun 2011, 19:29
RAF Puma LEP

t43562 - The MoD doesn't (or shouldn’t ) do timid, so how about you Wiki this.

Suitability for Military Operations – Since Jan 2001, eleven RAF Puma helicopters have been involved in major incidents (Six of these in 2007 alone - Source - Strategic Review of the Puma Helicopter Force 2008), with 3 A/C Cat 4 and 3 A/C Cat 5. (Source Hansard, so please, no cries of beadwindow)

As a result of its age, design (narrow undercarriage, high centre of gravity and a nose wheel tricycle gear), outdated crashworthiness limitations and flying and handling characteristics, you have to question the suitability of the design of the early Puma helicopter (SA. 330 models) in any modern hostile military theatre (particularly during brown-out landings) and future challenging roles and therefore the value of investing further (both from a financial and H&S perspective) in this aging platform.

Aircraft Vulnerability. A comparison of the SH accident records, at Annex C, supports a common belief that Puma is more vulnerable to crash damage (and to subsequent loss of life) than other types of BH involved in similar missions. A likely explanation for this may be the fact that, relative to other BH, Puma has a particularly high C of G. The resulting high crash moments generated by its gearbox and engines, coupled with a relatively short wheel base and tricycle undercarriage, makes for relatively poor crashworthiness compared with, for example, Chinook which has a low C of G and wheels on each corner. The propensity of Puma to turn over after a heavy landing is well known, and increases the vulnerability of crewman and passengers who are not properly restrained. We are aware of, and support, the work into crashworthy seats being carried out by MOD as part of the Puma HC2 Assessment phase.

Source - Strategic Review of the Puma Helicopter Force 2008 - Para 2.2.1

Crashworthiness.

Arguably, insufficient emphasis has been given in the MOD equipment programme to the replacement of the older BH such as Puma, Sea King and Lynx. For example, a feature of the Chinook accident record in theatre is that, by comparison to Puma, a greater robustness of design is translating into better survivability. An illustration of this is to consider the experience of recent Chinook incidents where, during desert/dust landings at night, aircraft have lost wheels but still survived (and in some cases even flown away). The difference with Puma is that these same conditions will be far more serious. While the relatively low crash tolerance of the Puma does not absolve crews, training staff or the JHC HQ from ensuring that the fragility of the aircraft is mitigated (and SOPs already do this), the fact remains that, given its characteristics, the aircraft is less ideal than some modern designs for operations in demanding theatres. The MOD has taken the view that Puma is still capable of carrying out its current XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXe. However, given the reliance of our soldiers on the helicopter force in both theatres (possibly for some time to come), we sense that the time has come for a reassessment by the JCG of their procurement priorities to reflect the need for more capable and survivable aircraft. We recommend the JCG examines the priority they accord to the procurement of BH, with emphasis on replacing legacy platforms.

Source - Strategic Review of the Puma Helicopter Force 2008 - Para 3.3

UAE Puma LEP Woes

The Plan - The UAE Air Force operated a fleet of around 25 IAR 330SM - Originally SA.330C and SA.330F Puma Helicopters (almost identical to the RAF’s Puma SA.330E fleet) that form part of the UAE Air Force Transport Wing and are based at Al Bateen Air Base.

In 2004, the UAE Air Force & Eurocopter Romania agreed a LEP package for the enhancement of 15 original UAE Air Force SA330 transport helicopters (to include Turbomeca Makila 1A1 turboshaft engines, a Collins avionics package including four-axis autopilot, and other special equipment – very similar to RAF LEP) and the acquisition of 10 New-Build SA330’s (the new designation for these post LEP Upgrade Puma’s is IAR 330SM) with the first two returned to service in April 2006.

In 2006/2007, ten of the Post LEP IAR 330SM Puma helicopters were handed over to the UAE Special Operation Command.

Reality - Within 2-years of receipt (2008), the 10 upgraded Spec OPS IAR 330SM Puma helicopters were handed over to the Critical National Infrastructure Authority (CNIA) (Abu Dhabi Government Para Military Division tasked with the protection and security of critical infrastructures within Abu Dhabi). (Why?)

In late 2009, the UAE Government took the decision to donate all ten of the upgraded IAR 330SM Puma helicopters operated by the Critical National Infrastructure Authority CNIA (Ex Spec OPS) received in only 2008 to the Lebanese Air Force, with the first batch of 4 scheduled for delivery in February 2010 and the deliveries of the rest scheduled for delivery by mid-2010. (Why?)

The UAE Air Force is looking to sell or remove from service the remaining 10-15 Upgraded Puma helicopter. (Why?)

Why indeed?

Having taken delivery of 25 rebuild and re-furbished Puma SA330 helicopters from Eurocopter Romania, the UAE Air Force learnt the hard way that serviceability was incredibly poor and they were too hard to sustain after the LEP resulting in them being ‘Cost Prohibitive’ and as a result after only 3-years of post LEP service, a decision was taken to sell, giveaway or withdraw the Puma fleet from service and replace it with more reliable and less costly to maintain helicopters.

PTT
24th Jun 2011, 20:08
Was the UAE upgrade package the same as the one we're supposedly getting?

t43562
24th Jun 2011, 21:27
I'm way out of my depth as said before, I just hoped it might be of interest to note another Puma upgrade done with some Romanian input.

TBM-Legend
24th Jun 2011, 21:39
and don't forget to change the name from Puma to Gypsy HC1...

PTT
24th Jun 2011, 22:08
I'm way out of my depth as said before, I just hoped it might be of interest to note another Puma upgrade done with some Romanian input. Fair enough for saying you're out of your depth, but one upgrade to a vehicle done in a country is not the same as another. It rather depends on what the customer orders rather than what the Romanians fancy fitting ;)

jamesdevice
24th Jun 2011, 22:58
how much of a difference would it make that these are Westland - built examples? And presumably most are from the last (attrition) batch from the 1980's that were knocked up at Weston-super-Mare, several years after the main production run at Yeovil. There were lots of comments at the time at Yeovil was that they were significantly different in body parts, though no-one ever seemed to publicly say how

Fareastdriver
25th Jun 2011, 08:18
There were lots of comments at the time at Yeovil was that they were significantly different in body parts

Yeovil has nothing to shout about. In the early 70s Odiham engineering were doing the normal trick of using the components of an aircraft coming in for servicing to get the predecessor out. After doors popping and various panels, including the doghouse, coming loose they had a make and mend day. All the panels had their original XW No stencilled on the inside so they put every panel back on its original aircraft which solved the problem.

Why, Why, Why didn't they put the 332 single wheel navy undercarriage on it. It solves half the rolling problem and at a 900ft/min rating solves the hard landing problem too.

wg13_dummy
25th Jun 2011, 10:56
how about a new build of Westland WG30, using the engine & transmission from the Lynx Wildcat?
Minimal design cost with that idea

Hmm, nice theory but seeing how the Wildcat is costing us £25+ million each and that is using most of the parts from the current fleet. To go back down the flawed route of re-engineering a WG30 would be a costly endeavour to say the least!

I hear that if Puma LEP survives contact, the AAC may have some shiny new(ish) toys ;-)

Rigga
25th Jun 2011, 14:20
"...In the early 70s Odiham engineering were doing the normal trick of using the components of an aircraft coming in for servicing to get the predecessor out. After doors popping and various panels, including the doghouse, coming loose they had a make and mend day. All the panels had their original XW No stencilled on the inside so they put every panel back on its original aircraft which solved the problem."

Hmmmm...
In the early 80's the "mix n match" system was generally back in use with no issues over interchangability. The Doghouse issue was proved to be over-use and mis-use by the "end-user" and door Catches and Latches revised to suit "more rigourous" usage.

Mr Fanstop
25th Jun 2011, 20:18
What do you really know these UAE Puma's?? Aren't they suppose to have been upgraded to a really good fit?

In your quoted text below - do you really understand what these aircraft are capeable of doing over a Puma HC1 after this upgrade????? If so please explain!!! Problems with brown out landings with a high C of G etc.

Only curious as to what us tax payers might have to spend our limited money on.

Thanks Mr Fanstop

RAF Puma LEP

t43562 - The MoD doesn't (or shouldn’t ) do timid, so how about you Wiki this.

Suitability for Military Operations – Since Jan 2001, eleven RAF Puma helicopters have been involved in major incidents (Six of these in 2007 alone - Source - Strategic Review of the Puma Helicopter Force 2008), with 3 A/C Cat 4 and 3 A/C Cat 5. (Source Hansard, so please, no cries of beadwindow)

As a result of its age, design (narrow undercarriage, high centre of gravity and a nose wheel tricycle gear), outdated crashworthiness limitations and flying and handling characteristics, you have to question the suitability of the design of the early Puma helicopter (SA. 330 models) in any modern hostile military theatre (particularly during brown-out landings) and future challenging roles and therefore the value of investing further (both from a financial and H&S perspective) in this aging platform.

Aircraft Vulnerability. A comparison of the SH accident records, at Annex C, supports a common belief that Puma is more vulnerable to crash damage (and to subsequent loss of life) than other types of BH involved in similar missions. A likely explanation for this may be the fact that, relative to other BH, Puma has a particularly high C of G. The resulting high crash moments generated by its gearbox and engines, coupled with a relatively short wheel base and tricycle undercarriage, makes for relatively poor crashworthiness compared with, for example, Chinook which has a low C of G and wheels on each corner. The propensity of Puma to turn over after a heavy landing is well known, and increases the vulnerability of crewman and passengers who are not properly restrained. We are aware of, and support, the work into crashworthy seats being carried out by MOD as part of the Puma HC2 Assessment phase.

Source - Strategic Review of the Puma Helicopter Force 2008 - Para 2.2.1

Crashworthiness.

Arguably, insufficient emphasis has been given in the MOD equipment programme to the replacement of the older BH such as Puma, Sea King and Lynx. For example, a feature of the Chinook accident record in theatre is that, by comparison to Puma, a greater robustness of design is translating into better survivability. An illustration of this is to consider the experience of recent Chinook incidents where, during desert/dust landings at night, aircraft have lost wheels but still survived (and in some cases even flown away). The difference with Puma is that these same conditions will be far more serious. While the relatively low crash tolerance of the Puma does not absolve crews, training staff or the JHC HQ from ensuring that the fragility of the aircraft is mitigated (and SOPs already do this), the fact remains that, given its characteristics, the aircraft is less ideal than some modern designs for operations in demanding theatres. The MOD has taken the view that Puma is still capable of carrying out its current XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXe. However, given the reliance of our soldiers on the helicopter force in both theatres (possibly for some time to come), we sense that the time has come for a reassessment by the JCG of their procurement priorities to reflect the need for more capable and survivable aircraft. We recommend the JCG examines the priority they accord to the procurement of BH, with emphasis on replacing legacy platforms.

Source - Strategic Review of the Puma Helicopter Force 2008 - Para 3.3

UAE Puma LEP Woes

The Plan - The UAE Air Force operated a fleet of around 25 IAR 330SM - Originally SA.330C and SA.330F Puma Helicopters (almost identical to the RAF’s Puma SA.330E fleet) that form part of the UAE Air Force Transport Wing and are based at Al Bateen Air Base.

In 2004, the UAE Air Force & Eurocopter Romania agreed a LEP package for the enhancement of 15 original UAE Air Force SA330 transport helicopters (to include Turbomeca Makila 1A1 turboshaft engines, a Collins avionics package including four-axis autopilot, and other special equipment – very similar to RAF LEP) and the acquisition of 10 New-Build SA330’s (the new designation for these post LEP Upgrade Puma’s is IAR 330SM) with the first two returned to service in April 2006.

In 2006/2007, ten of the Post LEP IAR 330SM Puma helicopters were handed over to the UAE Special Operation Command.

Reality - Within 2-years of receipt (2008), the 10 upgraded Spec OPS IAR 330SM Puma helicopters were handed over to the Critical National Infrastructure Authority (CNIA) (Abu Dhabi Government Para Military Division tasked with the protection and security of critical infrastructures within Abu Dhabi). (Why?)

In late 2009, the UAE Government took the decision to donate all ten of the upgraded IAR 330SM Puma helicopters operated by the Critical National Infrastructure Authority CNIA (Ex Spec OPS) received in only 2008 to the Lebanese Air Force, with the first batch of 4 scheduled for delivery in February 2010 and the deliveries of the rest scheduled for delivery by mid-2010. (Why?)

The UAE Air Force is looking to sell or remove from service the remaining 10-15 Upgraded Puma helicopter. (Why?)

Why indeed?

Having taken delivery of 25 rebuild and re-furbished Puma SA330 helicopters from Eurocopter Romania, the UAE Air Force learnt the hard way that serviceability was incredibly poor and they were too hard to sustain after the LEP resulting in them being ‘Cost Prohibitive’ and as a result after only 3-years of post LEP service, a decision was taken to sell, giveaway or withdraw the Puma fleet from service and replace it with more reliable and less costly to maintain helicopters.

XR219
28th Jun 2011, 18:45
how much of a difference would it make that these are Westland - built examples? And presumably most are from the last (attrition) batch from the 1980's that were knocked up at Weston-super-Mare, several years after the main production run at Yeovil. There were lots of comments at the time at Yeovil was that they were significantly different in body parts, though no-one ever seemed to publicly say how

I believe only five of the ZAxxx batch of Pumas are still in service, so presumably most of the HC2s will be from the original XWxxx batch.

Mr Fanstop
28th Jun 2011, 19:46
After such a big post all seems to have gone quite. Where is this information based on?

Curious as a taxpayer on the funding of these upgrades to the quality of return.

Not a Jurno by the way.

Thanks Mr F.

ShyTorque
28th Jun 2011, 22:53
Puma will never last in RAF service, far too delicate.

P.s. anyone here going to the 40th reunion?

P.p.s. look at the date on this article: 1984 | 1036 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1984/1984%20-%201036.html?search=puma)

HobbyCAD
12th Jul 2012, 10:52
Mr Fanstop,

I think you are totally wrong about the UAE IAR-330SM's. They left the SOC, because just as they came into service, uncle Sam took over the SOC joint, even replaced the crews with gringo's. Everything non-US had to go. Also, uncle Sam in return gave them a stack of UH-60L and M's to replace the IAR-330SM's.

You still want to talk about operating costs?

GreenKnight121
12th Jul 2012, 20:12
HobbyCAD... this thread was last posted in over a year ago (until you posted).

Mr. Fanstop's only two posts on PPRuNe were 25th Jun 2011, 14:18 and 28 June 2011, 13:46... and he was last on the board:

Last Activity: 8th Oct 2011 09:32

I don't think he is going to talk about anything.

EESDL
13th Jul 2012, 10:26
Talking to the guys at ECUK - so might not qualify as a 'rumour' - it appears that they are going to fly them back - IMHO, alledgedly, apparently.

Frostchamber
13th Jul 2012, 11:54
Well that pretty much matches what Flightglobal were reporting a couple of days ago.
On the face of it a fairly substantial package of changes to stitch together and make work - though I see it's meant to lead to the upgraded Puma being able to carry "...twice the payload over three times the range than its predecessor even in the most demanding of environmental conditions". Quite a striking statistic if true.