PDA

View Full Version : Dispatcher training?

777ord
20th May 2011, 17:18
Hello.

I've recently discovered that I may not be medically capable to fly for the airlines, and, as devistating as this may be as I've spent years earning my Commerical/multi/instrument ratings here in the US with a "first class" with no restrictions, things have changed. I've also put my CFI on delay till I can fully discover where I can legally go with my medical issues.

I've been really interested in dispatcher for quite some time (although, have not done too much research as I should have otherwise), and was wondering what training facilities in the San Diego area offer the training to make me airline dispatcher qualified.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Regards,

777ord

pilotms
21st May 2011, 05:22
Have a look at Airline Dispatchers Federation - ADF (http://www.dispatcher.org) .
With your Pilot Qualifications you are eligible for the short course.

BHMDiversion
23rd May 2011, 20:53
I did the online distance education option from Sheffield School of Aeronautics (www.sheffield.com (http://www.sheffield.com)). It is very in-depth, and good priced.

britflyer
29th May 2011, 00:50
I would also recommend Airline Dispatcher FAA Certification (http://www.sheffield.com) been there and done the course.

Good course but learn the RED BOOK questions before you go...! Its a hectic 6weeks.

777ord
1st Jun 2011, 17:23
All,

Thank you for the great insight.

By the red book, I assume you mean GLEIM?

boredcounter
2nd Jun 2011, 08:58
Sorry to hear your plight.

It is the Big Red GLEIM being referred to.

The ADX (required) exam draws a c500 question bank from the ATP question bank, but the good news is that it is only 80 questions to answer with a pass mark of 70%

Unless it has changed since 2006 that is?

Judging by you post, you may just have a copy of the 'Big Red Book' ;-)

Best of luck whichever way you need to go mate

Bored

no sig
6th Jun 2011, 08:00
I'd also speak with your local FAA office to see what credit you can get for already holding a FAA commercial licence and IR, it might be you can forgo any formal course and do self study, which is the ATPL/Aircraft Dispatchers certificate. Maybe do a three day, 'how to sit the exam' course prior to doing the writtens.

Miarose
30th Jun 2011, 22:38
I posted this on another forum but I want anyone choosing a school to read and consider this.

I attended Sheffield in 1998 and was wet behind the ears. I had no experience and the instructors they had at the time got me through it. Now, jump ahead to March 2011. I sent my wife to Sheffield to get her license. She has 10 years of aviation experience. Everything from ticketing, ramp, flight attendant, crew scheduler and 3 years in Continental SOC.

Long story short, her class at Sheffield had 25 students and 19 failed including her. The instruction there is pathetic. They take your $ and you're on your own. Whatever you do, do not waste your money on Sheffield when picking a school.

She took the 2 weeek course at Universal Weather in Houston and learned more there in 2 weeks than 5 weeks at Sheffield.
Not only did she learn, SHE UNDERSTOOD IT!

URRVCTR
1st Jul 2011, 06:10
Dear Miarose,
As far as I know, Sheffield is well known place to get Dispatch License. I also checked testimonials on their site and I do not belive that Sheffield is not a place to spend a money. Can You please describe details what was bad in Sheffield for Your wife and others?
I gonna make my Distance Learning there this year and Your post is first negative opinion about them.

boyesbingaman
2nd Jul 2011, 22:57
look here..i was at sheffield in 2009 and it was the worst near 10,000$ i ever spent. they will take ur money and fail u! if u go there you are on your own!!
i had to retake the course at another school!!
Do NOT GO TO SHEFFIELD!!!
please!!!!
the instructors suck, they just want u to study the gliem on your own.
plus they treat foreigners like trash!
to make matters worse from the very first day they already tell u they will fail u
not to mention the fact tht the same pple who are instructors are also ur examiners! wheres the transparency in tht.
i only signed up to this forum to let everyone know not to go to sheffield..please!!

boredcounter
4th Jul 2011, 04:50
To the doubters of Sheffield?

If you or you wife fail, is it really the schools fault? If a pass is obtained at another school is that proof?

As a Sheffield graduate of the 2 week accelerated course, from Europe, knowing nothing of the US rules and regulations, I would say B got me through the nightmare in a simulated real time scenario.

I will never exercise the privilege of my (very basic) FAA ticket, however, unless a lot has changed, I thank Sheffield for a fair and honest assessment of my ability.

I attended, with +15 years experience in Operational Control, I had to prove the experience I had at the time, learn a lot and work 16 hours a day, to pass what I consider (FAA rules in EU) an irrelevant exam based on irrelevant regulations.

Do you still leave any establishment with a non-type rated ticket, saying only you are suitable to undergo the further training required to be a dispatcher, i.e. technical aircraft systems?

Bored

boyesbingaman
4th Jul 2011, 11:53
So wht u r sayin is sOme one with no aviation experience dEserves to have a hard time?
How can u justify a testing system tht is carried out my your very same instructors? So say Eric has a personal problem with me he can decide to give me a hard time or better yet fail me
Other schools prepare u for ur oral and practical exams and have external FAA instructors and pilots or ops control personnel to do d testing.why dosnt Sheffield do tht.?
The house I stayed in was a good 45 min walk from the school! Imagine coming to school already tired from such a long walk. I was never for once late. Until this particular day it stormed heavily while I was walking to school. I had to take shelter underneath a tree for about 10 mins so the rain could subside . I got into class soaking wet and do u know I was actually penalized for coming late???
Long story short, Go to Sheffield at your own risk

Echo Disp
6th Jul 2011, 09:54
I studied the Sheffield Distance + 5 days course several years ago and got the license with Sheffield and I haave several opinions about it.

I believe Sheffield is one of the best schools in Dispatcher training in USA. Many airlines send their employers to Sheffield and it can be a good proof.

boyesbingaman:
There were 2 instructors, Eric and Brett during my stay in FLL. They are both qualified as instructors and examiners. If the course is instructed by one, another will be examiners and vice versa. I am not sure the arrangement for your class but the abive is my case.

for all:
Perosnnaly I am pleased with the quality and in depth knowledge covered in Sheffield's course and I believe the Sheffield's standard is much much higher than what FAA requires.

My suggestion for the FAA ADX test, for anyone who interested in taking the course at Sheffield, try to study and pass the ADX exam in advance. You can get a Gleim or ASA ATP test prep easily from amazon. To be honest, I believe ADX test is just a game of memorising the quetsions and answers , you can remember the answers eaisly if you go through it several times. If you can get a pass before the start of the course at Sheffield, you can fully concentrate in sheffield stuff once u arrive.

There are schools which use ATP test prep as the major text book. I dont think it is a good approach but this is actually exisiting. LIke boyesbingaman mentioned, Sheffield just let you study the Gleim yourself as their major text book is not that. If anyone want to learn more, Sheffiled's approach would be better than just using Gleim as major text. Sheffield concentrate in instructing the in depth theories rather than the gleim.

For those who just want to get a pass and get the FAA license, I agree other schools will be better as the successfull rate (of getting a sign off to take the practical exam) is much higher in other schools than Sheffield. Only 60% in my class and the 6 weeks class got a sign off. I remember something like any FAA dispatcher school should achieve a successful rate of 70 to 80% in practical exam, and that 's why Sheffield rather not signning you off than failing anyone in exam. But for those who want quality instruction and showing to your future employers you are the top notch graduates , sheffield is for you.

To be honest, like what Miarose mentioned, Sheffield may not as good as other schools in offering a student friendly environment especially for those without any previous dispatch, piloting or ATC experiences. The design of the course in Sheffield requires intense concentration and hard work from Day 1. You need to set "full throttle" till the end of the course. And even for experienced guys, it is still a very demanding course for them, and no need to say about the students without any experience.

For those who failed in Sheffield, it doesn';t means they are lazy or incapable. Instead, some may get a pass if they have been given more time but unluckily it is not available. Like one Indian guy who failed the six week course during my stay in FLL, he said he did not have any experience in aviation, travel and spent a lot to USA, stuided very hard but still couldn't pass the course at Sheffield. It is really unlcukily for him but it is how Sheffield is running.

Again, for anyone who want to study at Sheffield, pre course preparation in Gleim and two FAA weather manuals is very important. It makes you easier to cope with the hugh demand in class.

again, for those who just want a licence,as well as reduce the chance of not getting a pass, try to consider whether Sheffield is for you. For those who want to graduate from a well known and quality school as well as showing to your future employers your capabilities, try to consider Sheffield.

Rick1982
6th Jul 2011, 10:36
Ok... I'm afraid I've listened to this absolute rubbish for long enough!

Sheffield is an ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC school to go to. End of!

Prior to going there in March 2010 I had near zero aviation experience. I looked at other schools (Denver, Houston, etc...) I travelled from the UK and stayed in a hotel (which was a 20 minute walk away at most) and also completed the additional workshops in ETOPS, EWINS, etc... all out of my own pocket... AND I DON'T REGRET A SINGLE THING. IRRESPECTIVE OF MY GRADE ACHIEVED!

This was the first step of a major career change for me at the age of 30. It was the best thing that I ever did! I now work in Ops for a very prestigious UK airline and was selected for interview out of 150+ applicants on the results at Sheffield School of Aeronautics. The Ops manager was paid to go there some years prior when he worked for another airline. I have stayed in touch with all the staff and students at Sheffield and they've all been really friendly and helpful. Even after they took my $10,000+!

Yes it is hard work. Yes you have to study for the Gleim yourself. But its one multiple choice exam. You are told this from the outset. It is recommended that you complete the FAA ADX prior to attending Sheffield. This isn't possible for everyone (like me) as you have to take it in the USA.

All I hope is that anyone considering going to Sheffield School of Aeronautics makes the right descision and doesn't listen to certain first time posters!!!

p.s. Incase anyone was actually wondering... With near zero knowledge/experiencce prior to attending, I achieved a grade of 93% and 'walked' the FAA exam!

Echo Disp
6th Jul 2011, 10:59
I did the distance and onsite course with Sheffield several years ago and got the license. I believe Sheffield is one of the best school in FAA Dispatch.

The course is very demanding but teach me a lot of theories and knowledge in dispatch. You need to self study the Gleim ATP test Prep and better get a pass before the start of the course. If possible, study the two FAA Weather manuals in advance and it helps your study in Sheffield. Especially passing the ADX test before hleps you to fully concentrate on the Sheffield course.

If you just want to get a pass and get the FAA license, other schools may be better, if you want to show your capabilities and you are the top notch to future employers, Sheffield is for you. Of course, you need to pay for the advantage you get..for a hard working stay in FLL.

Good school teach your the in depth knowledge but worst school just use Test Prep as the main text book, easier to get a pass with them but quality not assured.

I agree not all the students who failed to get a sign off for practical exams are lazy or incapable...instead, they are hard working but just can't achieve the Sheffield standard. One of the Indian guy who failed the 200 hours course mentioned he spent a lot to travel to FLL, studied very hard but still couldn't pass...it's sad but unluckily for him. though I think they may be able to pass if they have more time to study but not available.

Anyway, once again getting the license from Sheffield is not just for the license, it is for your future employment too. Base on how many airlines send their employees to sheffield and it is already a concrete proof of the Sheffield's Quality.

I receommend Sheffield for any serious future dispatchers, and of course there should be other good schools in USA too, but I dont have experience with them.

boredcounter
6th Jul 2011, 13:30
Expected to correct MEL issues and file the perfect flight plan and that is just one flight.............I guess you wanted to pass as well as the Mrs

Understand, communicate in the real time world.

Is it that bad?

URRVCTR
6th Jul 2011, 15:05
Dear colleagues,

Echo Disp mentioned two FAA weather manuals in his reply.
Can You please advise what are these manuals and where can I get it?

Appreciate Your help!

Chopper69
6th Jul 2011, 16:16
I would like to add that I initiated a program that sent staff from a European Airline on the FAA course at Sheffield. I investigated many options, Jepps in FRA, etc, but it was patentently obvious that this was the premier school to send my staff to. My rationale was that it was motivational and yes, FAA and EASA rules are different, but the staff came away with an internationally recognised qualification, in point of fact I think the only recognised qualification? I spent a couple of years dealing with Eric and his feedback for any area of individual staff improvement was invaluable. It was a win win situation, the staff came back with their licence and were much more confident in dealing with Pilot related issues, for example and as a Company we had more motivated, knowledgable and confident employees. Maybe I had a really good department but I only had one failure which was due to personal issues. The general failure rate in the on the many courses that I sent my staff on in the 2006-2008 period seemed to average about 15%.
To sum up, don't expect to pass just because you turned up and have some experience in the Airline industry, but if you show initiative and are prepared to work hard for a qualification that proves just that, then this is the school for you!

Rick1982
6th Jul 2011, 20:05
URRVCTR...

I believe the weather maunauls you are refering to are:

Aviation Advisory Weather Circular (Chapters 1-16 of the AC 00-6A)
Otherwise known as "Aviation Weather for Pilots and Flight Operations Personnel"
AND
Aviation Weather Services Manual (AC-00-45G CHG1 Rev July 29, 2010)

I'm sure you could download them from the FAA or NOAA (Probably for a fee!) or try looking on amazon.

I think I downloaded and printed mine (must be 500 pages combined) but have the AC-00-45F so its out of date now. Bloody Global Warming!!!

URRVCTR
6th Jul 2011, 20:27
Rick1982,

Thanks a lot for Your help!
Appreciate it!

NISHTA
8th Jul 2011, 07:40
Let me give my experience with EM and the Sheffield school...

Enrolled in distance learning with Sheffield spent a few dollars; in industry from 86', Operations and Dispatch (ICAO) all my carrier, decided to get FAA ADX rating...

ADX distance learning is not the way to go - when you need assistance Eric and the team are not always available for consultation, and by the time you need to get to new module you are already late for the previous one.

You have a feeling that they are swamped with students, they cannot give you attention you think you deserve for the buck you paid...

And do not come with an attitude - I know what I am doing, there is no way that I will fail.... You are in for a shock...

Classroom training is the only way to go... 6 weeks of pure blood sweat and tears...

So I lost the money, need to enroll into 6 weeks course.

There is no easy way out...

emorris
19th Nov 2011, 11:59
RE: I attended Sheffield in 1998 and was wet behind the ears. I had no experience and the instructors they had at the time got me through it. Now, jump ahead to March 2011. I sent my wife to Sheffield to get her license. She has 10 years of aviation experience. Everything from ticketing, ramp, flight attendant, crew scheduler and 3 years in Continental SOC.

A: Unfortunately, ticketing, ramping, flight attending, crew scheduling, and fetching papers or doing revisions within an SOC can't help someone who was either lazy, a procrastinator, or both in addition to not seeking free tutoring after class daily (she did not come close).

RE: Long story short, her class at Sheffield had 25 students and 19 failed including her. The instruction there is pathetic. They take your $ and you're on your own. Whatever you do, do not waste your money on Sheffield when picking a school.

A: False. We have NEVER had a class failure rate like that. We've had probably 2-4 classes with a fail rate or 45-50% over the past 15-20 years, typically the success rate for the course is 70-85%. The FAA practical exam rate however exceeds most because Sheffield actually does not commit perjury on the applicant's Application for Dispatcher certificate - we only sign off those who are qualified. The airlines worldwide seem to appreciate that, as well as the FAA. Fortunately, most people who read this guy's account, including many following replies could tell his 'story' was rubbish. Sure - to stay in business 64 consecutive years, we screw people and flunk them at will - makes complete sense. First, the failure's hubby neglected to mention that students drop out for family emergencies, illness, military duty recall, etc.. He failed to note how many in his class had those circumstances, returned, and passed. He failed to notice how many airlines, individuals, and other companies have used Sheffield School, were successful, and provided testimonials online, which are all dated and verifiable. He failed to note that we counsel any students having a difficult time, and even offer a pro-rata refund for a large portion of the course. And..whoops..he neglected to mention that 2 students in his class and 1 student in her class actually attended other schools before attending Sheffield - one was already certified. Feel free to contact me, and I'll send email copies of the last few requests from grads of other schools looking for refresher training, a job, or both because their diploma mill can't cut it.

RE: She took the 2 weeek (sic) course at Universal Weather in Houston and learned more there in 2 weeks than 5 weeks at Sheffield. Not only did she learn, SHE UNDERSTOOD IT!

A: She may have understood their version of dispatch training. She failed herself at our school. Her success may have actually been linked to ALREADY sitting through comprehensive material at Sheffield, departing with a full Sheffield notebook, having the ADX test already passed, then attending a different or less comprehensive course. Feel free to have her return to Sheffield at any time to see if she could pass any of our class tests or better yet - send her here for an FAA-witnessed oral exam and simple flight. If she passes PTS standards, I'll pay her transportation and air fare. If she fails, her results will be posted here and anywhere I feel like posting it, including video of what would be long uncomfortable pauses. That's the deal. Sign your name next time, coward.
Eric Morris-President-Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948)

emorris
19th Nov 2011, 12:25
RE: look here..i was at sheffield in 2009 and it was the worst near 10,000$ i ever spent. they will take ur money and fail u! if u go there you are on your own!!
i had to retake the course at another school!!
Do NOT GO TO SHEFFIELD!!!
please!!!!

A: Do I really need to counter this? Seriously? Feel free to read my reply to the sad hubby above which should be posted soon.

the instructors suck, they just want u to study the gliem on your own.

A: Actually, Sheffield prefers to spend most of the class time instructing real-life material and concepts; therefore, we send Gleim prep material to students electronically to get ahead before they arrive, the students can ask questions after class regarding same material, can still study during the class until they feel comfortable to take the ADX test. We cover flight logs in class, and include ADX snippets throughout our instruction. Some students study, and some waste their time going to bars and watching TV - sad, but true. Some of our students went to ADX prep-only courses...at other schools - you can do the math as to what their total tuition became by attending a mill prior to Sheffield. We instruct students in order to help them find work, and keep it - not just for some piece of paper - I thought it was a good idea...

RE: plus they treat foreigners like trash!
A: Which obviously is why most of our students are international and Sheffield has the largest international airline customer list in the world.

RE: to make matters worse from the very first day they already tell u they will fail u.
A: Wrong again. We tell people on the first day that they need to study hard to pass. We want a 100% pass rate, but it is impossible if everyone does not study hard, and seek free tutoring daily after class, if needed. We feel it is fair to forewarn students so they don't lose all their money and they can drop out if they want. I call it good business. We were established in 1948, so it seems to be working.

RE: not to mention the fact tht the same pple who are instructors are also ur examiners! wheres the transparency in tht.
A: Never had someone whine about that one, but here goes: The FAA approved us as examiners because we have the most experience with instruction and practical exams in the world - no individual or school comes close. It's also nice to have an examiner who is familiar with your type, intensity of instruction, the materials, and having familiarity with the schools flight plan forms is nice. No outside examiners have the ability to conduct a proper, consistent exam without assistance from me, which I've done for 4 outside examiners who are also on call, if needed. We are monitored by the FAA and have NEVER had a problem.

RE: i only signed up to this forum to let everyone know not to go to sheffield..please!!
A: And it was a pleasure to rebut 'ur mis-pilled nonsinse.'
Sign your name next time, coward.
Eric Morris-President-Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948)

emorris
19th Nov 2011, 12:41
RE: How can u justify a testing system tht is carried out my your very same instructors? So say Eric has a personal problem with me he can decide to give me a hard time or better yet fail me

A: Well, if FAA approved because of our experience, and controlled and monitored by the FAA for PTS assurance, it is a good idea. If you'd like, I can recite flight school requirements or future airline training requirements which mandate methods that we are already authorized to perform. If you were a problem child at my school, you would have been warned or dismissed - we do not want bad distractions in our class. This happens once every 10-12 years, maybe. If we really sensed any personal issue, as a professional courtesy, you would have been examined by another person, who referred to a DADE. In the past, when a student would blame others for their own problems or blame the school, I simply give them my FAA inspector's contact info. There's never anything to hide and everyone in this profession knows that about Sheffield.

RE: Other schools prepare u for ur oral and practical exams and have external FAA instructors and pilots or ops control personnel to do d testing.why dosnt Sheffield do tht.?

A: answered already here and in another reply to be posted soon.

RE: The house I stayed in was a good 45 min walk from the school! Imagine coming to school already tired from such a long walk. I was never for once late. Until this particular day it stormed heavily while I was walking to school. I had to take shelter underneath a tree for about 10 mins so the rain could subside . I got into class soaking wet and do u know I was actually penalized for coming late???

A: That was my favorite. First, Sheffield housing consists of 1-2 houses that are MAXIMUM 15-20 minutes of a walk to the school. One other house is a MAXIMUM 5-7 minute walk. We offer to pick up students if the weather is bad. If the student chooses not to do so, there is this thing called an umbrella which is in the housing, that could help. Nobody is penalized for being late for oversleeping, stormy weather, etc.. unless it appears to be a daily issue. Then you simply make up time - it is quite simple.

RE: Long story short, Go to Sheffield at your own risk.

A: If you are lazy, a procrastinator, or an idiot, blamer, or whiner...y'know I kind of agree with this guy.
Sign your name next time, coward.
Eric Morris-President-Sheffield School of aeronautics (est. 1948)

emorris
19th Nov 2011, 12:47
You can download from:
Airline Dispatcher Resources (http://www.sheffield.com/dispatcherresources.html#books)
The high quality and bookmarked pdf links are password-protected for future/current Sheffield students, but the other links are ok too, if attending elsewhere.

Just don't go crazy reading them all. If you're coming to Sheffield, I'd pre-study for the ADX and selected sections of those books, which I can list if you want. Just email me anytime.

E. Morris
Sheffield School

JIC
19th Nov 2011, 21:09
Hi There.

AT&C are starting up a new dispatch course here in Europe with two major airlines.

Check it on AT&C - Aviation Training and Consulting (http://www.atcdenmark.dk)

Best regards jic.

desertopsguy
21st Nov 2011, 15:08
It appears as though someone has an axe to grind with Sheffield School.

The boss has come on here refuting these allegations and I for one would like to lend my weight in the defence of his establishment.

I went there some time ago and although it was tough and kept me on my toes, the standard of instruction was excellent. Drive, determination and self application is all that you need to pass, if you lack any of those you will not make the grade; I for one have absolutely no problem with that.

Over the years I have stayed in touch with, met, worked together and hired numerous Sheffield graduates. All are doing well in their chosen careers and many attribute alot of this to the grounding they got at the school.

The airline I currently work for sends their new dispatchers there for training as the standards are impeccably high. Many other carriers also do this.

Finally, some of the other schools out there benefit from those people who don't make it through Sheffield's program. It makes me wonder if theirs is deliberately adumbrated to accommodate these people.

If there are any other Sheffield grads out there who care to back-up the place that enabled them to get a start in this business or enhanced their careers then you really should post a few words in support of E.Morris and Sheffield school.

There are two sides to ever story, you've just read the second.

D.O.G

merrick
1st Dec 2011, 04:13
Its funny when people know they are wrong as they have to get personal. Idiot.

emorris
3rd Feb 2012, 17:26
I will try to keep this simple since I don't write in rap and this person may have issues with non-acronyms. I wish you the best of luck, health, and happiness. I also would like to thank you - somebody just saw your post, and decided we "MUST be that good if an idiot hates us so much." (no worries - I told her that you likely had personal issues and an upsetting childhood.) How can I ever repay you? Anyway, I need to go make another one of those dreadful bank deposits soon all because of you.

emorris
3rd Feb 2012, 17:31
I appreciate the comment against nonsense. Some things are too absurd to respond to. However, it should make the rest of us thankful for who we are and what we are not.

JohnieWalker
18th Feb 2012, 16:20
Lufthansa Flight Training Academy is going to run a Flight Dispatcher in Riga, Latvia in May.

Description and syllabus:
http://www.lidousers.com/LFT_BTI.pdf

JohnieWalker
21st Feb 2012, 08:14
P.S Actually course start mentioned above postponed until May 7, registrations until April 1.

Ask me anything if needed.

Bergkamp10
22nd Feb 2012, 13:22
One of the best for BA/GA sector are a company: AirlineDispatch

PM if you want any additional info.

pgo
22nd Feb 2012, 13:27
We have had a graduate from Sheffield and he wasn't any better than an experienced neophyte. Having said that I'm sure that they produce good dispatchers, this gentleman "just" had some other personal peculiarities not compatible with an indoors job.:eek:

Heavy D
14th Mar 2012, 04:34
Dear 777ORD,

I hope you are able to get your medical issues resolved in a favorable manner. I am an airline pilot and instructor,and I also teach Dispatch at FlightSafety LGA (NY). I was a dispatcher for more than 10 years at JFK for Iberia and Swissport (a handling company), and found the Dispatch career very,.very rewarding. I have had the privilege of working with many graduates of Sheffield, Pan American and FlightSafety, and found all of their skills solid and sharp. Give FSI (LGA) a call, and call Sheffield in FLL and compare for yourself. Happy hunting and enjoy the world of dispatch. Remember: "A pilot flies the airplane, a dispatcher flies the airline!"

You can also pursue the CFI/CFII/MEI and give instruction, such as instrument ratings,BFRs,IPCs, and ATPs, as long as your "student" holds a valid category and class Airman Certificate. Stay in the air if you can.

By all means AVOID working with the FAA, unless you wish to be a ATC Professional. The FAA has the world's best ATC, bar none. But their other employees, especially the FSDO personnel, are the dregs of humanity.

May God Bless you and Guide you in your career search. Enjoy instructing and dispatching,and hopefully I'll see you in the sky some day.

Sincerely,
Heavy D
New York,USA

Dogfactory
3rd Oct 2012, 12:57
which one is it: ATP FAA Knowledge test 2013 or ATP FAA Written test? Or both?

emorris
3rd Oct 2012, 19:22
Q: which one is it: ATP FAA Knowledge test 2013 or ATP FAA Written test? Or both?

A: The test is technically referred to nowadays as ADX Knowledge Test (used to be "written.") One test prep book sold is Gleim's 'ATP'. The ADX (airline dispatcher) questions are buried in the ATP book since they are nearly the same test. An applicant for the FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate must specifically pass (at or above 70%) the ADX knowledge exam. That is one prerequisite among others.
Eric M.
Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948) - FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certification School-about Sheffield (http://www.sheffield.com)

Dogfactory
10th Oct 2012, 17:36
Resurrecting this post as I'm having a big dilemma here.

I'm in Italy, i.e. where Dispatchers are not licenced but just taught the job at the same price of US FAA approved schools. I was happily looking to Sheffield's for my training but now I might have found a sponsor for the training in Italy. I really don't want to waste my time for a course that doesn't licence me, so I was thinking whether is possible to be trained here and get the FAA licence by doing an official FAA exam in the US ?
In other words, can I get the Dispacher's licence being trained in Europe and tested in the US ?

emorris
10th Oct 2012, 18:01
Yes, but you must pass the ADX exam and receive 'credit' by the FAA via FAR Part 65.57 or receive course credit via a Part 65.61d from an Aircraft Dispatcher course operator - via 65.61d, you still cannot simply take an FAA practical exam. At Sheffield, we've seen people arrive here with varying backgrounds and varying experience. Some work hard and do well. Some are lazy or lift too many "12-ounce" weights and do poorly. So what we do is mandate that everyone who intends to take less than 200 in-classroom hours of training pass the ADX exam and complete online training, then complete a pre-selected amount of residency in-classroom training, which could be 3-weeks or less. THEN, if they are signed off as 'passing the course", they have a ticket to begin an FAA AD practical exam. If that exam is passed, then they are FAA AD certified. From what I've witnessed any prior training before Sheffield's means very little. Any training following Sheffield's seems to be relatively easy based on hearsay.
Good luck and contact us anytime.
Eric Morris - Sheffield School (est. 1948)

Dogfactory
10th Oct 2012, 18:42
Thanks Eric for the info (we are already in contact via email and I'm appreciating all the help from Sheffield).
What is hard for me to understand is why should I attend a proper 328hours Flight Dispatcher course in Italy (see the study curriculum for yourself at http://training.alitalia.it/it/flight-training/altri-corsi/FDB/flight-dispacher-base-training-course.html (http://training.alitalia.it/it/flight-training/altri-corsi/FDB/flight-dispacher-base-training-course.html) in Italian) and then have not a licence or a certificate, while in the US I get it all for less time/money. It sounds to me that even studying in Italian (or in any other language/country) would be useless, unless I study in English and do the FAA exam. Really, why in the world this option to study in my country even exist if it's useless? I mean, why do they ever teach you something if THEY are not certified to do that?
Please explain to me why this world is wild at heart and weak on top.

Mark Meeker
21st Oct 2012, 03:14
I went to MIAT in Michigan, got a 95.72GPA in the Course, an 80% on the Written and about an 80% on the Practical. I thus have my ADX Cert.

If you are not aviation oriented or completely clueless about airplanes, do not take the course.

From what I have heard, most FAA issued certs are honored by many countries and most have to take some mandatory course in their country, to serve the individual country's flight operations regs, but the hard part of the training is over for you.

easybandit007
26th Oct 2012, 12:04
ok, now i'm a little scared about all these different stories, but i know personally a few guys who had a very good time with Sheffield and got their licenses. And for me there is no way out, everything is booked now and i will give my best to pass all the tests and to return home with the license! I'll be back in March, will tell then my expirience!

merrick
15th Nov 2012, 14:39
Just go to Sheffield, Simples!

All my collegues have been and everyone comes back with a pass and 5 weeks of funny stories.

vortac82
15th Nov 2012, 15:47
I agree with merrick.

I got my license at Sheffield early this month and it's been a wonderful experience. If you have previous working experience in flight operations and not many vacation days I would recommend the two weeks course, that is preceeded by an online phase at home.

I hope this will help.

Emanuele

shpa21
8th Dec 2012, 09:15
what is the dispatch job prospects in asia

desertopsguy
11th Dec 2012, 13:27
In Asia the job-scene is so-so, salaries are low for dispatchers, especially ones without experience.

Your profile says you're in/from India so you're going to be competing with all of the Kingfisher guys who got dumped a couple of months ago, they're all scrambling for every opening East and West of there.

As for the rest of Asia, SE Asian airlines tend to hire locals although there are a few that hire non-locally. You'll need to research it but try Tiger, Jetstar, Airasia and some of the new start-ups.

Mainland China, jobs are rarely advertised and are exclusively for those with a lot of experience and that usually means management experience also. Salaries are low even for those roles.

jhon marvi
19th Dec 2012, 04:14
For students with no aviation experience, Pan Am provides a 200 hour comprehensive course. Students attend class five days a week and are able to complete the entire program-including all FAA certification checks and includes the dispatch written test within the six weeks.

To make sure that you have all of the tools to be successful in your initial 200 hour dispatcher course we will give you a laptop computer, programmed for your dispatcher course, for you to keep. When the student graduates they have a dispatch license.:confused:

Hartsfield-Jackson
8th Jan 2013, 20:05
I wrote two times to Sheffield school of aeronautics but they didn't answer me! I also wrote here to Mr. Eric Morris but nothing..

Anyone knows if they have any problems on the mailbox?

Other question: Eric mentioned about some sections of the weather's book , anyone knows which parts are foundamental to know before attending Sheffield?

Thanks in advance, regards!

A.

emorris
8th Jan 2013, 22:40
Sorry, if I missed your email or it wasn't delivered. [email protected] should work - but we've had problems sending email to Hotmail and msn/Live accounts, so then I usually email from a personal account. Anyway my apologies. Maybe try once more or post on note on our Facebook page. I'll help you out somehow, if not here.

If coming to our 5-week course, I'd focus on the ADX material as sort of a prestudy, but how to do that requires a lengthy email or post - which I will gladly do, if you want. If looking for the best sections to read from Aviation Weather Services, I'd read through METARS and TAFs in the text portion, and when looking through Graphic weather (weather charts), I'd browse through some of the Surface analysis charts (but DON'T try to memorize anything - there are 4-5 different formats for that single chart - we cover only one. Other charts that are good to read are weather depiction, radar summary, low-level and high level prog (forecast) charts, and perhaps the 300mb analysis chart, but again, reading through is one thing to become a little familiar with. But if coming to our 5-week course, we instruct all of it. If reading the Aviation Weather Advisory Circular ( a book in reality), this is weather theory, there's too much unimportant mixed with important to itemize here. If you want, I can send you a few terms that are vital to know. Otherwise, if I had to pick a few sections to read: icing, thunderstorms, turbulence, and IFR producers. Don't go crazy reading the government definitions of terms like corrected altitude, pressure altitude, and density altitude - we simplify them here so that they make sense, then more importantly, we show you how to apply them to a flight.
Hope this helped and sorry for the non-response. I was in Canada recently, but checked or forwarded the emails to others. Either way, our fault.
Eric Morris
President
Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948)
-----
I wrote two times to Sheffield school of aeronautics but they didn't answer me! I also wrote here to Mr. Eric Morris but nothing..

Anyone knows if they have any problems on the mailbox?

Other question: Eric mentioned about some sections of the weather's book , anyone knows which parts are foundamental to know before attending Sheffield?

Hartsfield-Jackson
9th Jan 2013, 11:11
Hi I appreciate your apologies. Im 21 so I can receive only a certificate but not the FAA license, is that right?(only when I'll be 23) but I can work like a flight dispatcher assistant or under supervision, right?Im Italian and my target is to work in EU , I can work with this certificate or they don't recognized it? As I understand they should do that because in EU the EASA hasn't any license for this kind of job! And also because in Europeans courses they don't prepare in-depth like in US , so people with a FAA license are considered to be very prepared! Im saying stupid things or Im telling the thruth?!

Im going to buy GLEIM ADX tests , so how I have to study it? you mentioned a particular method that you are glad to explain me if i would!
As I understand I have to focuse on some portions of Aviation Wheather Services like METAR and TAFs and also lookin through weather charts. And about the
Aviation Weather Advisory Circular I have to read the sections related to thunderstorms, turbolence, IFR procedures.
But I have only to read these things and not trying to memorize anything in order to familiarize with the subjects ! I got it??
Im going to buy also the oral exam guide , its good?

Last question is about the english level! This week Im going to start an intensive english course for 6 months! They said that I already have B2 level that's means the intermediate's upper level. At Sheffield is required any kind of english certificate? Or is required only an intermediate/advanced english level??

Thanks in advance sr.Morrison.

Adriano.:)

emorris
10th Jan 2013, 14:53
@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Adriano,

See answers embedded below:

Q: Can I receive only a certificate but not the FAA license, is that correct? (only when I'll be 23)?

A: If you successfully pass the FAA AD course and FAA practical exam, but are under 23 years of age, then the FAA will issue you a “Letter of Aeronautical Competency.” Typically, it is mailed to you. Sheffield will issue you our own school certificate of graduation, and special diploma. Once you are 23, you need to locate an FAA inspector who will issue your FAA Temporary AD certificate, which expires after 120 days. The permanent AD certificate should arrive in the mail within 2 to 4 months, for international addresses.

Q: Can I work like a flight dispatcher assistant or under supervision, right?

A: You should be able to, but it is dependent upon your country and airline policies and rules.

Q: I’m Italian and my target is to work in EU, I can work with this certificate or they don't recognized it?

A: You should be able to. Sheffield School has trained virtually all of KLM airlines, many German, U.K, and Norwegian airlines, some from Croatia, Switzerland, etc..
These airlines specifically send their people to us for certification, and especially, a thorough education.

Q: Im going to buy GLEIM ADX tests, so how I have to study it? you mentioned a particular method that you are glad to explain me if i would!

A: email us for this – too long of a post.

As I understand I have to focus on some portions of Aviation Weather Services like METAR and TAFs and also looking through weather charts. And about the
Aviation Weather Advisory Circular I have to read the sections related to thunderstorms, turbulence, IFR procedures.
But I have only to read these things and not trying to memorize anything in order to familiarize with the subjects ! I got it??

A: Yes.

I’m going to buy also the oral exam guide , its good?

A: The only oral exam guide I know is very small, and incomplete. The FAA’s PTS (practical test standards) is online and free, but is out of date, and only lists general subjects to know. I’m writing my own guide, but who knows when it will be completed. It may end up over 1,000 pages.

Q: Last question is about the english level! This week Im going to start an intensive english course for 6 months! They said that I already have B2 level that's means the intermediate's upper level. At Sheffield is required any kind of english certificate? Or is required only an intermediate/advanced english level??

A: Usually a 550 or higher on a TOEFL test is “adequate,” but that is difficult to confirm sometimes. Based on your current level, and with additional training, you should be ok. If you can watch American TV, that also helps much.

Eric Morris - President
Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948)

Hartsfield-Jackson
12th Jan 2013, 15:59
Thanks for the answers Sir. Morris! Still not clear to me if I need a certificate of English?! Is enough to have an appropriate level or I also need a piece of paper to prove it? Im going to start the course on Monday!

davis13
23rd Jan 2013, 09:59
Hello everybody,is there anyone who have experience with jeppesen academy? I'm looking for a dispatcher course and I'm searching information about; Also I've seen the Flamingo air and Institute of flight operations and dispatch, but the program of jeppesen seems very complete
Thanks to those who will answer

appfo09
31st Jan 2013, 20:04
Hi to everybody. When is the next Lufthansa Flight Dispatcher course running in Riga does anybody knows exactly ?

Thank you !

plans123
1st Feb 2013, 20:56
I may know a bit about the Jepp acadamy ;)......

cawrish
3rd Feb 2013, 10:35
Hi all,
My name s krishna from India(Chennai).
4 years of air exports experience and currently working as cargo supervisor for Lufthansa cargo AG @MAA airport...
Qualifications:BBM in airport management
Diploma:IATA FIATA basic air cargo introductory.
IATA FIATA DGR Cat 3.

Want to do Flight dispatcher 6 weeks course in Jeppessen academy USA..
what s you feedback on this academy and are they providing any job assistance after clearing exams....

Would be good if you guys guide to the right track,but am crazy about aviation...Awaiting for your reply..

Brgds/Krishna

davis13
18th Feb 2013, 20:16
I sent an e-mail to sheffield last monday for information about the one week course and I'm still waiting for the answer...hope that with this post eric will answer me...

Dogfactory
18th Feb 2013, 20:42
Lufthansa Flight Dispatcher course running in Riga

I'm a profound supporter of Sheffield and would like very much to go there for my training. The fact is getting to the US from Europe is not that easy as it sound and the options in Europe are slightly building up for us.

Thinking of Riga, there is actually a top arline who does on-the-job training for Dispatchers. You don't need to have a FAA licence and you can learn the job with the Dispatcher knowledge you have already (if you have it). I believe it's a great opportunity, because if it's true that theory is important is also true that starting from the practice can help you MUCH more in your Dispatcher training.

The airline is Airbaltic, which is actually the one who partnered with Lufthansa for their Dispatcher theoretical course. That will be resurrected but no dates yet. So for now, only practical training.... and maybe it's good enough!

easybandit007
19th Feb 2013, 19:18
So, now returned home with the license in my pocket!
The experience i've done is really for life. The teachers are very confident and well trained, no matter if you are american or international, they treat everyone with same respect. There is no matter if you have any knowledge in the business or not, you'll have to learn the whole 5 weeks to be sure you will pass. Maybe it sounds more scary as it is, everything is feasible and afterwards you can be very proud of yourselfs, you gain really strong knowledge! In our class of 20 people we got 5 or 6 who failed the course due to failed ADX test. You have to come already well prepared for the adx, as there is a very less time to learn for the class stuff and the adx. You have to be focused on your goals, that's not a high school anymore, but if you know for what you are there, you'll not have any problems.
If you guys out there have any questions, i be more then glad to help! Cheers, Easybandit

appfo09
19th Feb 2013, 21:11
Holding an FAA Dispatcher license from Sheffield Academy with which european airlines can you work with? Also is FAA a more valuable and a better license than holding an EASA license ?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Dogfactory
20th Feb 2013, 07:06
Congrats for your licence.:D
Since we got a fresh first hand experience, would you mind telling us in details (week by week) what the training consisted in?

easybandit007
22nd Feb 2013, 20:36
Sure, in the 1st week wx theory, non-graphic weather. Week 2 graphic weather+ AIM/Jeppesen, week 3 regulations+ aircraft data, week 4-5 performance, flt. planning, MEL/CDL. The first two weeks are more easygoing, the stuff flow increase in the 3rd week rapidly.In total there are 6-7 different tests on all chapters through the whole time, you'll doing the reviews before each test and at least around 10 manually calculated and graphed flight plans. FPL is a big and important part, because it also tested on your practial with FAA. I scored in average on all tests at around 92% and walked through the practical. Of course i wasn't sure at all before the friday on 5th week when you get your sign off from the instructor, and the practial, but afterwards i can say, it's definitely doable!
Regards Easybandit