PDA

View Full Version : outlook express to outlook

keyboard flier
19th May 2011, 11:48
I am wanting to move my email from outlook express to outlook. How can I export / import all my emails, address book, folders and settings from express to outlook? both programmes are on the same pc.
I have around 12 email addresses that come into express and various message rules so that each email to a particular address goes into its designated folder.

thanks

Saab Dastard
19th May 2011, 12:10
Migrate from Outlook Express or Windows (Live) Mail to Outlook | HowTo-Outlook (http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/migratefromoewlm.htm)
How to upgrade from Outlook Express to Outlook (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287073)

SD

Ancient Observer
20th May 2011, 13:55
I made this change about a month ago, and following a thread here, I did what SD says, and followed the ms advice. It all worked fine, despite my normal ability to cock up anything to do with puters.

Mr Optimistic
20th May 2011, 17:56
OE to Outlook. Is it worth it do you think ? Outlook has such a reputation as a resource hog. Thought about doing it but chickened out. Would be interested to know how you get on.

Saab Dastard
20th May 2011, 18:50
If the only alternative is Windows Live Mail on Win 7 / Vista, then YES!

SD

Mike-Bracknell
20th May 2011, 19:07
OE to Outlook. Is it worth it do you think ? Outlook has such a reputation as a resource hog. Thought about doing it but chickened out. Would be interested to know how you get on.

2010 is much much lighter :ok:

Mr Optimistic
20th May 2011, 19:16
Ta. Will give it a go thanks (sorry for thread hijack).

Keef
20th May 2011, 21:27
My eternal worry with Outlook is that it puts (or put, I dunno) everything into one ginormous .pst file. I've seen them over 500mb in size.

One glitch, and all may be lost. It does backups if told to, but...

I recently migrated a friend from Outlook to Thunderbird, and she was amazed at the dfference. She didn't use the Outlook calendar, which would otherwise have been a major reason not to change.

parabellum
21st May 2011, 05:29
Windows 7 and Outlook Express are, I believe, incompatible?

BEagle
21st May 2011, 08:07
Regrettably so. The 'we know best' geeks at Micro$oft expect you either to us the utter pile of crap which is Windows Live Mail :yuk:, or to use Outlook.

I've always used Outlook Express and still do - it's fine for my needs. Unfortunately a bug in Office 2007 means that Outlook Express cannot use its English spellchecker, you need to acquire one from a third party source.

Wretched Micro$oft - why do they insist on fixing what ain't broken!

Ancient Observer
21st May 2011, 12:40
For me, using O is a bit like driving a tank when all I wanted was a Smart car. I was very happy with OE, and as I still use XP, that would have been fine.
However, persuaded by the sage types on here, I moved to O and it has, so far, been trouble free.......(at which point I'm touching the wooden desk AND my head).

Eventually I will have to move from XP, and 7 doesn't like OE............