PDA

View Full Version : What do you when boarding

Mr Mac
19th May 2011, 09:25
On the recent BA thread there were comments about Jeremy Clarkson giving the plane a kiss when he boarded. I myself always pat the outside just before entering the cabin, and have done all my life following in my fathers footsteps who did the same to his Halifax in WW2. Other pilots I am aware talk to the plane and never say bad things about it while in it. Just wondered if myself and Jeremy are slightly mad, or do others have odd pre boarding / pre flight habits.

Gibon2
19th May 2011, 09:47
My pre-boarding habits are very odd, or at least unusual. This is what I do:

1. Have my boarding pass in my hand, in case the cabin crew want to see it.
2. Check what seat I am in (if on an allocated-seat flight) or know roughly where I want to sit (if not)
3. Have my reading material and other bits and pieces already extracted from my carry-on bag
4. Have my carry-on bag ready to stow

Once I get on, my behaviour becomes even more eccentric:

1. I move as quickly as possible to my seat, being careful not to club anyone with my bag.
2. In one swift movement, I stow my bag in the overhead locker, sit down, and get out of the way.

Yes, I know, I'm a weirdo. I wish I could faff about, fishing for my boarding pass, wandering aimlessly looking for my seat, blocking the aisle while I slowly unpack my newspaper, cardigan, sandwiches, etc, from my bag, like the rest of you. But I just can't do it.

Jarvy
19th May 2011, 11:47
Gibon2, very good:D

OFSO
19th May 2011, 11:48
Mr Mac - like you I used to tap the aircraft outside just by the door when entering.

Don't fly any more, the TGV is as fast city centre to city centre, and far more comfortable - and no security nonsense. No, I don't tap the outside of the TGV ! Maybe I should start.

Smoketrails
19th May 2011, 12:52
Gibon,

May I add a few?

5. Being on time at the RIGHT gate!
6. Don't get up and que at the gate till my section has been called out!
7. Have ID handy when handing over my boardingticket at the gate!

jackieofalltrades
19th May 2011, 14:25
I too echo the sentiments of Gibbon and Smoketrails.

And like the OP and OFSO I always tap the outside of the plane before walking through the doorway. I used to think it was just a weird habit I had, but am interested to read other folks do the same.

Once seated I always check there's a life-jacket under my seat too. Fortunately I've never had call to actually need to use it, but on one occasion I did find that the life-jacket was missing. Makes me wonder what kind of moron would steal a life-jakcet?!

wowzz
19th May 2011, 14:35
If it's non-assigned seating, search out all children and sit as far away from them as possible!

yggorf
19th May 2011, 14:42
I whack the passenger who boards in front of me while talking on a cellphone without a look to the cabin crew, and starts looking for his/her boarding pass in his/her purse/bag/pocket while continuing his/her conversation. Then, when he/she is on the floor trying to pick up the pieces of his/her phone, I step heavily on any sensitive body part available:E

Unfortunately, that's only in my dreams.:{

ZFT
19th May 2011, 15:00
Just act and behave normal. It's not a mind boggling challenge to enter a tube with seats.

GROUNDHOG
19th May 2011, 15:36
Look forward to walking off, best way to leave I reckon.

Rwy in Sight
19th May 2011, 16:11
Try to board first (I know sad:8). If there pax before me I do touch the outside of the plane. I count seats to the closest exit or two. Try to store my bag and jacket quietly and quickly. Seat down and check for the life jacket like jackieofalltrades does so far it has been missing just once. Fasten the seat belt and wait to have a large breasted lady seating next to me, or hope to have the seat empty.

If the flight it is not full loaded I ask the FA's for a glass of water and ask a question about flying not answered in the PPRuNe before and I take my seat for good.

Landroger
19th May 2011, 17:45
Yes, I know, I'm a weirdo. I wish I could faff about, fishing for my boarding pass, wandering aimlessly looking for my seat, blocking the aisle while I slowly unpack my newspaper, cardigan, sandwiches, etc, from my bag, like the rest of you. But I just can't do it.

No, I can't do it either. :sad: I can't carry on a bag big enough to fill an overhead locker in one go, a suit hanger and a laptop at the same time either. :uhoh: All I can manage is my Vango backpack that the lappie happens to fit, plus my in flight reading matter (got a Kindle now anyway :ok:) and that goes under the seat in front.

Sorry chaps, letting the travelling public down I know, but I'm usually in the door (with a pat on the outside :O) and into my seat in about one minute flat, with all the rest of my stuff in the hold. :rolleyes:

Atlantean1963
27th May 2011, 12:14
It's always nice to know you're not alone. I always pat the outside of the aircraft as well, but was never brave enough to tell anyone that I did so.

Gibon, Smoketrails and Jackieofalltrades - I salute you and wish I was on the same flights as you.

The only additional piece of wierdness in which I indulge is that I sit quietly and pay attention to the safety briefing, rather than read/snore/talk loudly/look around like I'm too seasoned a flyer to pay attention.

strake
27th May 2011, 12:28
...turn left...:E

SpringHeeledJack
27th May 2011, 12:59
...turn left...

:D

Before i turn either way OR climb up, i almost always tap the outside of the fuselage. Unless the steward/ess is standing in the way ;)

Smoketrails
27th May 2011, 14:30
Atlantean, very right you are sir! Just out of respect for the cabin crew people should take attention to their safetybriefing. I always make an effort in watching the CC do their briefing!

dwshimoda
27th May 2011, 15:59
I also give the old girl a friendly rub on the belly when I do the walk round, and a little pat when leaving her. As for the B757...!

MPN11
27th May 2011, 18:16
I follow strake ... you know it makes sense, unless you're heading for the upper deck of course. :)

I don't need to pat it ... I know it's serviced by BA Engineering staff and flown by BA crews.

keltic
28th May 2011, 14:37
Toilet and then praying :{

Mr Optimistic
30th May 2011, 22:07
..start complaining about the other passengers, and stop when I get off.

Lance Murdoch
31st May 2011, 17:58
Find the two closest emergency exits. If something goes wrong Im going to be disembarking alot quicker than I got on the aircraft.

John Hill
3rd Jun 2011, 09:16
The last thing I do before boarding is double check the plane is not heading to LAX!:eek:

GlennTheBaker
4th Jun 2011, 16:32
dwshimoda, I thought you liked posing for photographs before a departure? :cool: