PDA

View Full Version : Malware protection

Groundbased
19th May 2011, 06:56
Edit just did a search and see a thread on this before so no need to reply, cheers guys

Just got this virus on my laptop.

I've googled for instructions on how to remove, but the sites offering advice also suggest downloading anti malware and other bits and bobs and I'm not sure if they're also part of the same scam.

Has anyone had experience of removing this one?

I have MS security essentials on the pc, but this doesn't seem to have helped.

Cheers

mixture
19th May 2011, 07:41
How did you become aware of the virus ? What virus is it ?

Have you tried some of the vendors free tools such as the F-Secure ones here (http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs/security-threats/tools/) ?

Groundbased
19th May 2011, 08:59
It appeared immediately after clicking a google search result to another forum that I hadn't been too before.

Usual windows style window appearing with lots of progress bars and stuff about active attack happening from the internet, etc etc. Pressure to click "activate now" button for software called "Malware Protection"

It was quite irritating because it disabled task manager, and I couldn't open a browser or run my AV tools. After a while this stopped but there was still an icon in the system tray. System performance seemed a lot slower so it might be interfering with this.

I have another pc to use, so can work this through over a period of time but my actions so far have been:

System restore to yesterday
Running the Microsoft tools linked to in another thread on here
Changed my account to a standard rather than an administrator
Ran CClean and Reg cleaner

I'll see if I can identify the thing from there and remove any traces

Spurlash2
19th May 2011, 09:27
I found this is the best method (http://www.myantispyware.com/2011/03/16/how-to-remove-best-malware-protection-virus/). The malware changes your proxy server settings which keeps redirecting web page requests, which many sites don't mention needs attention.

If the F8 method doesn't work on boot, try this way:

Switch on computer as normal, let it complete the boot to your desktop.
Log off as user (Do not reboot/turn off)
Log on again and immediately and repeatedly, start pressing the key sequence; Ctrl Alt Delete, until you get the Task manager or process manager dialogue box appear.

Stop pressing CAD, then:

In the process tab you will see random entries. The ones I saw were a sequence of random numbers.exe, and there was about 4, maybe 5 entries.

Stop those processes. Highlight them and click on End Process. Once done, pick up at Step 2 in the link.

The software MalwareBytes Anti-malware is a genuine product and will clean your computer for you.

Let us know how you get on.