PDA

View Full Version : JET A 1 bowser wanted

nellycopter
18th May 2011, 20:41
Can I ask this one here ?
Does anyone have a jet a1, avtur, heating oil bowser they want rid of for a few gold coins ?
Preferably fast road tow.
In the Uk ?

Nelly.

ShyTorque
18th May 2011, 20:46
I've got a rusty bucket. Any good? :p

FlightPathOBN
18th May 2011, 20:55
perhaps read this first...

Fuel bowsers in UK (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/362874-fuel-bowsers-uk.html)

Refuelling trailer/bowser (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/234031-refuelling-trailer-bowser-merged-threads.html)

nellycopter
18th May 2011, 21:00
rusty bucket it is then,
i dont remember saying i wanted a water tank on wheels to put jet A1 in ............

i asked for a jet A1 bowser......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

chopjock
18th May 2011, 21:04
2000 litre bunded UN approved, twin axle, Highway tow bowser | RPM Fuels (http://www.rpm-fuels.co.uk/highway-tow-bowsers/2000-litre-bunded-un-approved-twin-axle-highway-tow-bowser.aspx)

Not cheap but should do the job.

krypton_john
18th May 2011, 21:36
Not cheap?

You only have to pump a few hours' flying worth of fuel from it and the purchase cost of the bowser is lost to the winds already!

FlightPathOBN
18th May 2011, 21:44
Cost of the bowser pales in comparison to the fees for certifications for the bowser, tow vehicle, driver, insurance, etc...

krypton_john
18th May 2011, 21:52
Why would one want or need to bother with towing the bowser when you can just park it where you need it and phone up BP to have them send round a tanker to refill it?

FlightPathOBN
18th May 2011, 21:55
krypton...good point!

otherwise, nelly, you can also look into the 'plastic' fuel tanks they use for boats...they should be rated for this type of fuel, and come in significant sizes...

or perhaps a stand alone tank, that can still be moved with little difficulty...

Domestic heating oil tanks (http://www.fuelproof.co.uk/domesticheatingoiltanks/index.htm)

the biggest issue is water in the fuel, as it is dry, the fuel will absorb moisture through the vents...this is significant volume. tanks will have a floating suction so they never draw off of the bottom, and there are ways to drain the bottom of the water...

topradio
18th May 2011, 22:33
Why not go the whole hog and get one of these : Welcome to MOD Sales Online - Military Vehicles for Sale - Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale (http://www.mod-sales.com/tender/listing.htm) - lot 219

Oh and a Gazelle or two:)

norunway
19th May 2011, 07:19
Aviation fuel storage equipment - Fuel Proof Ltd (http://www.aviationfuelstorage.com/highwayaviation.htm)

stringfellow
19th May 2011, 11:52
couple of points while my lunch cooks. i thought heli bowsers had to to be certified ie filters etc... the bowser pictured looks like a site bowser... like we use on construction sites for red diesel... i have a contact who can sell you lovely pre owned ones road legal for under 2k.... but i would never put heli fuel in one....... fuel proof are your people.

bear in mind you prob need a tow bowser as the fuel is delivered in arctics.... you may need on occasion to drive out to meet it if you live off its delivery route.. and finally im after a jet a1 fixed bowser 5000litre plus if anyone knows of any. pm me for details please.

206 jock
19th May 2011, 14:50
I've got one of these:

Chieftain - Fuel Bowsers - Chieftain Highway Tow Aviation Fuel Bowsers (Aviation Fuel Tanks) (http://www.chieftaintrailers.com/products/detail/4-fuel-bowsers/21-chieftain-highway-tow-aviation-fuel-bowsers-aviation-fuel-tanks)

EESDL
19th May 2011, 16:41
Krpton John - needs to be towable as over here it would class as a 'part load' and no BP tanker would trouble itself coming to spill 2000 litres etc.

206 jock
20th May 2011, 09:52
These guys do!

CYMA Petroleum (http://www.cymapetroleum.co.uk/index.html)

Beware towable bowsers and ADR regulations...let's not go over that again.

chevvron
20th May 2011, 15:42
Could've sworn I posted a message to nellycopter telling him to check his PMs yesterday but it's disappeared.

Rescue One
20th May 2011, 17:23
I got a used 1000 Ltr road legal bowser with electric pumping eqpt nozzle/hose etc with a faulty (u/s) fuel pump located in Sheffield.

Senior Pilot
20th May 2011, 23:28
Could've sworn I posted a message to nellycopter telling him to check his PMs yesterday but it's disappeared.

That would be because I deleted it ;)

If someone hasn't responded to a PM after a few days when they have been online in that time, all well and good to post a reminder.

But since nellycopter had not been online since your PM was sent (check anyone's last visit time by selecting "View Public Profile") it is superfluous to make such a post. Now that nellycopter came online an hour ago, he has most likely checked his PM's.

Brilliant Stuff
23rd May 2011, 21:11
Except I find it it's not very obvious and easily missed. A pop up telling you you have a PM would be IMHO slicker.

Come to that I have got a notification notice for yonks now which won't clear, but hey ho.;)

Senior Pilot
23rd May 2011, 21:39
Except I find it it's not very obvious and easily missed. A pop up telling you you have a PM would be IMHO slicker.

Come to that I have got a notification notice for yonks now which won't clear, but hey ho.;)

If the notification hasn't cleared it will most likely be because you have an unread PM or Friend Request, etc.

I'll raise the issue of a pop up with IB, but I suspect it won't be an easy issue.

But addressing the issue of posting just to ask someone to read their PM's. First, you get an e mail notification to your registered address that you have a PM: is your e mail address current in your profile or is the notification going to an old address? Second, the recipient will get a Notification at the top right of the page to advise there is a new PM. That should be enough to alert you to a PM, I would have thought ;)

muffin
18th Jan 2013, 07:03
Cyma deliver as little as 500 litres of Avgas to me although they prefer 1000 minimum. Usually about a week between order and delivery but it depends on catching their next run that goes near you. It is a very big artic so can't go through narrow gates so I take my bowser down the road to a friends transport yard and they deliver to there. It actually comes from Immingham and they go round most of the UK every week.

My bowser is Avgas and was made by a company called Trailer Engineering in Birmingham. It has a hand rocker pump and in line filter fitted. One US gallon takes 14 pump strokes.

Aerofire
18th Jan 2013, 10:53
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and i am after a Jet A1 Fuel Bowser needs to be fast tow as it will be used nationwide.

Can anyone assit us on this quest.

Any problems please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Callum
Managing Director
Aero Fire & Rescue
[email protected]
www.aerofireandrescue.co.uk (http://www.aerofireandrescue.co.uk)

toptobottom
18th Jan 2013, 12:31
206 Jock

Long time no speak - hope you're well. I'm also looking for a bowser. My local airfield uses one of those Chieftains and has had no ends of problems with it... Is there a minimum quantity for CYMA to deliver and is it competitive regardless of the quantity? What's its service like?

Spunk
18th Jan 2013, 15:41
I've got a used one for sale, similar to this one fuel (http://www.maul-tank.de/index.php/ibc-1000-de-luxe.html)

If I'm not mistaken it`s seven years old and can hold up to1000 liters of JetA1.

Based in Germany.

Aerofire
18th Jan 2013, 16:39
how much are you after for it spunk and have you got any pictures please.

regards callum

Spunk
19th Jan 2013, 14:59
@aerofire will send you some pics on monday. Didn't see that email address in the first place.

206 jock
19th Jan 2013, 15:51
206 Jock

Long time no speak - hope you're well. I'm also looking for a bowser. My local airfield uses one of those Chieftains and has had no ends of problems with it... Is there a minimum quantity for CYMA to deliver and is it competitive regardless of the quantity? What's its service like?

Hi TTB, yep all good thanks. Haven't been flying much myself as the machine is out on contract. Will do more in 2013!

Shame about the Chieftain at your end, mine has been exemplary from day 1. But to be honest, it doesn't do much. If someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse I might even part with it....

CYMA are OK and are pretty good on deliveries. The only time they screwed up was when they delivered AVGAS instead. But they sorted it with minimum fuss so no problem for me. They deliver in 1,400 lt loads to me at a price that is pretty much competitive. I used to pick up from a local airfield but to be honest, the hassle wasn't worth it.

tarnish7
27th Feb 2013, 09:31
Hi 206 Jock, what sort of price are you wanting for your Chieftain and what spec is it?

Cheers
Paul

tarnish7
9th Mar 2013, 10:48
Hi folks, hope you're not all put off by this lovely spring weather lol. Does anyone out there have a Jet A-1 ADR compliant bowser either they're looking to get rid of or are willing to rent out?

I'm in the market for one so any help with locating one would be good. Must be in a serviceable condition with either a electric or diesel powered pump and a minimum of 980ltr capacity.

Many thanks in advance

Paul Smith
E: [email protected]

TOWTEAMBASE
9th Mar 2013, 11:31
Which location are you

tarnish7
10th Mar 2013, 00:03
West Yorkshire

Clitheroe Kid
10th Mar 2013, 11:28
I have a 1000 ltr road legal bowser with 12 volt pump. Recently serviced which i have never used. Let me have your email. i'll send some pics.

Steve

tarnish7
11th Mar 2013, 06:52
[email protected]

tarnish7
17th May 2013, 11:07
Hi folks, I'm in the need of a Jet A-1 bowser either to borrow or rent for a long weekend. Preferably located somewhere in Southern Scotland or anywhere en route from West Yorkshire to the Borders. Needed for a long weekend in a couple of months time. Something around 1000ltrs capacity would be ideal.

Any help in locating such unit would be really appreciated.

Cheers and beers
Paul Smith

Anthony Supplebottom
17th May 2013, 11:25
Tell these guys (http://www.aviationfuelstorage.com/highwayaviation.htm?gclid=CJWRnI-CnbcCFVMbtAodoR0AVw) that you'd like to test one of their units for the weekend. :)

Seem to remember you asking about bowsers on this thread http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/452008-jet-1-bowser-wanted.html

Did you know that some heli operators can hire their bowser? Why don't you ask PDG?

Dave Sharpe
17th May 2013, 16:30
Taking the risk of teaching wise men to suck eggs---We went through the route of having two fuel bowsers, one for Avgas and one for Jet A1 a few years ago to support an operator in East Anglia--a single source of info was impossible to find--but what we did learn was----Up to 1000 litres marked or physical capacity the rules were easy--no requirement for ADR training-we limited tow speeds to 50Mph- we used a Toyota Amazon and had a basic spill kit, a basic first aid Kit, with half a dozen foam extinguisheresin the truck-a Basic diary of when/ where was kept--the tow vehicle did not need a front Haz plate--but the contents were clearly stickered..Perhaps because we operated in a rural area and the Police were familiar with small bowsers we never had a single pull- although I did know of operators being pulled for having obviously larger bowsers--There is an accepted historic legacy of using single skinned bowsers--We used the GPI fuel pumps and quantity meters with some large fine fuel filters ( Baldwin- I think ) which had water drain points--a sample of fuel was water checked and retained until the end of Operations--we never had any isue with water and the GPI fuel pumps have a mesh filter in them as well...It anybody wants the source document for the 1000 litre rule and single skin grandfather right..just PM me and I will see what I can dig out--We did get a few visits from the CAA field inspectors without any issues and they were thorough in their inspections of the support vehicles and kit carried -We were pleasure flying the R44 at local country shows

Peter-RB
18th May 2013, 09:50
We designed a purpose sized Aviation fuel tank to Airport standars fully bunded and with internals in Stainless, plus floating Suction, all main feed pipes in Stainless with stainless standalone cabinet and hose reel all linked into a purpose made handling pad and all drains from said pad to a stand alone interceptor, all electrics double insulated and flashing beacon when electric was in use, capacity was for 2500 gals, the location of the site was on a private estate where all the entrances were made capable of taking tankers, about 2 miles of B roads ( about 16m from Motorway) Shell Aviation filled it once then complained like hell that their drivers didnt like the delivery address due to about two miles of B roads ( these roads used regularly by large Coaches so width was not a problem), sadly then after all that work and expense the site along with Airport type safety all around it was used only a few time's and is now just a stand by.

Far easier to have a fast tow Bowser, dragged by a Land Rover!.

Peter R-B
Lancashire

Peter-RB
18th May 2013, 09:56
My last message says Land-Rover, how and why has this changed to Trabant.

still I suppose it could be one of the 4X4 Trabants that used to ferry the Krauts around East Germany!!

Peter R-B

Savoia
18th May 2013, 11:06
My last message says Land-Rover, how and why has this changed to Trabant?

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/108/f733a1018bbd4410bfaf3fcaaee9bf29/m.gif

The answer may be found here (http://www.pprune.org/7549161-post25.html)!

Hughes500
18th May 2013, 14:20
Just be aware that it is 1000 ltr of kerosene or 333 litres of petroleum that can be towed without the driver having an ADR licence. Although the ADR rules state that if the product is for your own use then you fall outside the scope of the law. Only the next page it states if towing more than the above figures you must have a licence :ugh:
Take what you will, I did the ( yawn) 5 day course, easier to wave a licence at the gentlemen in blue and be told to be on your way !!! Rather than empounding the lot at your expense

Brilliant Stuff
18th May 2013, 21:50
Peter, have you tried other fuel companies? Bristol & Wessex or Esso or Total?

21lefthand
19th May 2013, 09:51
I havent used my avgas tank for a over a year will the filter and pump ect be oK or is it better sold to someone who will use it. Keep thinking i might have a need for it

Peter-RB
19th May 2013, 17:11
21LH

Your filter will need to be changed before you fill again, and as long as no moisture inside the system( as Tank and pipes will make moisture from the temp change of atmosphere) the pump should be oK , but there is a strainer on most bowser tank pumps ( in fact all tanks have one) that will need to be checked and cleaned, also just do a rudimentry check of all fuel pipe connections not forgetting your rubber hose and what condition that is in, as well as the hand op shut off.

Peter R-B

zoeviva
22nd Apr 2014, 14:56
Also looking for a Highway Tow Jet fuel bowser 950 / 1000 / 2000L. Anyone got one for sale?