PDA

View Full Version : Odd Chinook behaviour this afternoon in Basingstoke.

scudpilot
18th May 2011, 18:36
Not an odd aircraft, just an unusal sound coming from the aircraft as it flew overhead.

We usually see them on a regular basis over my office in Chineham, but this one sounded "different" was incredibly low as it passed over the office ( I reckon below 100ft)... Looked impressive, just wondered if all was ok?

treadigraph
19th May 2011, 08:00
I reckon if it had really been below 100', you'd have a damage trail through Basingstoke like the path of a tornado... :eek:

merlinxx
19th May 2011, 16:37
Very true Treaders, the Wokka has a goodly rotor downdraft:E

scudpilot
19th May 2011, 19:05
would the aircraft sound different if flying lower than usual?

treadigraph
19th May 2011, 19:21
What did you think was unusual about it?

My Chinook aural experience is either far off and high up, which tends to be just the celebrated rotor slap and possibly a faint hum form the engines, or close up at airshows, full on slap and the sound of the turbines (possibly supplemented by a touch of whine from the transmission?)...

Ever hear TFC's Bell Airacobra taxi past at Duxford? The whine from the transmission between the engine and the prop was quite distinctive!

Gulf4uk
19th May 2011, 21:38
#
if you can shake hands with crew then its low

Tony

Agaricus bisporus
19th May 2011, 22:02
Re damage and downwash . The original poster said it flew past his house, not hovered over it. No downwash (at least, no significant) from a helo in forward flight, but it must have been a glorious sound!

JEM60
20th May 2011, 06:31
I remember that, Treadi, sounded like a bag of revolving nails, didn't it. Have fun Sunday if going.

treadigraph
20th May 2011, 07:17
Didn't know that about rotor downwash, one lives and learns.

Was quite a noise wasn't it? Wish they'd kept the aeroplane... Not going this Sunday, probably just be Legends this year.

Gulf4uk
20th May 2011, 08:28
NO Matter where you are Heads turn and look for Wokkas . wonderfull sight
and Sound even for us locals

Tony

farnborough

SpringHeeledJack
20th May 2011, 08:42
The Chinook is indeed one of a kind, at least these days. Has there been an engine upgrade and/or hushkitting in the last year ? I only ask as several of these lately have been noticeably quieter and the engine noise 'smoother', including one that did a landing/takeoff within 50m of my position. That said, other examples can be heard several miles away as is usual ;)

SHJ

Gulf4uk
20th May 2011, 08:55
Have not noticed any reduction in Noise , am just abeam M3\SW rail and they
regular fly past me , From or to the Smoke.at night you can hear them coming
even With Double Glazing .

Tony
farnborough-aviation-group

Wycombe
20th May 2011, 10:50
.....the usual mid-week nocturnal wokka activity was well in evidence around my part of West Berks last night :ok:

chevvron
20th May 2011, 10:57
Noisy b'stard comes over my house at 1130pm every tuesday!

goldox
20th May 2011, 11:33
Living as I do near RAF Benson I get them overhead regularly, noisy s*ds!
However as you say, you always look up and watch...

Police chopper even noisier when hovering over Didcot at night, as it seems to do regularly!

JEM60
20th May 2011, 18:09
Treadi.
Not going either. Supposed to be catching a Cruise ship in Majorca on Sunday, but I have developed shingles and have had to cancel. Was going to DX on Saturday, but can't now go ANYWHERE. Very contagious for a short time!. Nice to see Anna Walker being interviewed on Look East this evening.