PDA

View Full Version : Good Effort by the Queen of the Skies

oldpinger
18th May 2011, 03:43
Well done by the boys and girls at 817 Sqn;:ok::D

From Defence Media this morning-

Rescue of injured climber on Lord Howe Island by Navy helicopter

The crew of a Royal Australian Navy Sea King helicopter supporting New South Wales Police, successfully winched an injured climber from the summit of Mount Gower on Lord Howe Island yesterday morning.

The man was injured while climbing the mountain on Monday and had been moved to the summit by a civilian rescue team to await helicopter evacuation.

Chief of Joint Operations Lieutenant General Mark Evans said he was thankful for Navy’s quick response to the call for assistance.

“The ground and aircrew did a fantastic job in getting two aircraft prepared and away at short notice,” Lieutenant General Evans said.

“To fly nearly 700kms, refuel and then conduct the winch extraction of an injured climber is a great feat of airmanship.”

The Nowra-based 817 Squadron Sea Kings (SK50) deployed to Port Macquarie late Monday afternoon following Emergency Management Australia request for Defence assistance.

The injured climber was flown to the Island’s airport and then transferred to the local hospital for further treatment.

The two Sea Kings and their aircrew remained on Lord Howe Island overnight and will return to Nowra today.

And yes I know 771 have probably gone further!:8

500N
18th May 2011, 03:56
Not bad.

Lieutenant General Mark Evans needed to go out on his last day
on a positive.:ok:

Tankertrashnav
18th May 2011, 12:25
Thought this thread was going to be about Canberras ;)

Jumping_Jack
18th May 2011, 14:03
I thought the thread was about Graham Norton getting his PPL...:eek:

TOPBUNKER
19th May 2011, 00:23
Headline news.
SAR Crew put pipes and slippers aside and go to work!!!!

Warmtoast
19th May 2011, 21:44
Queen of the Skies

I was under the impression that the HP Hastings was the " Queen of the Skies".

FoxtrotAlpha18
20th May 2011, 07:42
...or the 747...

Back on subject though, let give credit where its due. Yes, it's part of their job, but a 1400km round trip was a good job by the guys from 817 and from the Shark - just shows they're not winding down despite being slated for retirement this December. :D:ok:

Exascot
20th May 2011, 08:08
I was under the impression that the HP Hastings was the " Queen of the Skies"

Sorry, correction: VC10 (10 Sqn) :ok:

http://www.vc10.net/Photos/Images/XV108_Biggin-Hill_1970_1.jpg

bakseetblatherer
20th May 2011, 10:27
That queen has big flaps