PDA

View Full Version : Computer and two camera's - daily cost?

PPRuNe Pop
17th May 2011, 04:20
Could some kind soul help me solve this please. What would be the approximate cost of running a computer, a router and two roof mounted cameras in terms of electricty 24/7? That is energy only. Your help would be much appreciated.

Bushfiva
17th May 2011, 05:13
Maybe 1 or 2 units i.e. 1 or 2 kWh? I'm showing 84W at the moment for a computer and router. Figure the computer isn't doing much, and you're using software that only records when it detects motion.

Spurlash2
17th May 2011, 08:07
Lots of websites out there, but found THIS ONE (http://www.willsmith.org/climatechange/domestic.html), that might do the trick. You'd have to fettle the camera energy bit, though.

green granite
17th May 2011, 08:17
That's a very useful site Spurlash2 thanks.

mixture
17th May 2011, 20:27
What would be the approximate cost of running a computer, a router and two roof mounted cameras in terms of electricty 24/7? That is energy only.

That question is about as vague as asking "What's the average fuel consumption of an aircraft ?" ...... is that fixed wing or rotary ? how many engines ? etc.

Same applies in all the gadgetry. Some of the latest and greatest stuff uses tiny amounts of power..... for example some reasonably beefy servers mid-range servers from HP's latest ranges will only pull around 0.5 amps idling and 1 amp when you're pushing them.