PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific A330 (one engine catches fire just of Singapore, turns back)

st7860
16th May 2011, 23:21
TODAYonline | Singapore | Jet engine on fire but passengers keep cool (http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110517-0000272/Jet-engine-on-fire-but-passengers-keep-cool)

Terrified passengers aboard a Cathay Pacific aircraft prayed together as their aircraft - one of its engines on fire - made its way back to Singapore yesterday, and their calm response earned praise from the captain.

Cathay Pacific Airways said the Airbus A330, bound for Jakarta with 136 passengers on board, landed back in Singapore "without incident". It said the crew shut down the engine after receiving a "stall warning".

The Hong Kong-based airline added that it and engine-maker Rolls-Royce were investigating the incident.

Changi Airport said in a statement that the plane had departed at 1.12am yesterday. But due to an engine-related issue, the aircraft turned back to the airport and landed safely at 1.57am, it said.

Reuters photographer Beawiharta was on board the plane with his wife and children. About 20 minutes after take-off, there were two sharp bangs, sending cabin staff scurrying to retrieve the meals they had only just begun serving.

The plane began shaking violently, he said, and the lights went out. He could smell something burning. His son, Pradipta, 15, then saw fire on one of the plane's engines as he peered out the window.

Said Mr Beawiharta: "... Passengers were praying: 'God, save our flight! Give us your protection!'" The prayers got louder and louder, pierced by only the occasional cry of panic.

Said Mr Beawiharta: "We all grabbed life jackets from beneath our seats but the plane landed smoothly. Within five minutes, as firefighters doused the damaged engine, we walked off the plane into the terminal."

Changi Airport said in its statement that, after the aircraft landed, its airport emergency service "responded immediately with six fire vehicles and extinguished a fire in one of the engines".

In the waiting room, the pilot greeted assembled passengers.

"The best that we can ever ask of passengers is to stay cool, stay calm ... which you did," he said. "And for that we thank you."

Last November, a blow-out in a Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine forced a Qantas Airbus A380 to make an emergency landing in Singapore and prompted the temporary grounding of the Australian carrier's A380 fleet. Investigations established that the incident was caused by a faulty oil pipe.

Offchocks
17th May 2011, 00:11
"a blow-out in a Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine forced a Qantas Airbus A380 to make an emergency landing in Singapore"

Aaaaaah now I get it, all the problems are Airbus aircraft with Rolls Royce engines taking off out of Singapore! Gee journalists can connect the dots, they are so informative these days!

Di_Vosh
17th May 2011, 00:18
Aaaaaah now I get it, all the problems are Airbus aircraft with Rolls Royce engines taking off out of Singapore!

Not at all! This was Yet Another attempt by the press to link ANY aircraft incident with Qantas.

:E

veloo maniam
17th May 2011, 00:34
Pilots have their own term for the RR engines.
Can someone enlighten me on that.
Thanks;)

Huck
17th May 2011, 02:57
I taxied by the subject aircraft today. That nacelle is pretty well scorched.

L337
17th May 2011, 06:14
Pilots have their own term for the RR engines.
Can someone enlighten me on that.

Excellent. Superb. Reliable.

The RR has carried me for close to 10,000 hours on various types. Without a fire or failure.

iw182000
18th May 2011, 00:10
BBC are reporting a Cathy Pacific A330 made an emergency landing in Singapore yesterday after engine problems:

BBC News - Rolls-Royce to investigate Singapore emergency landing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13420940)

DSFItnert
4th Jun 2011, 14:01
In RR tidy dot for investigation.