PDA

View Full Version : Aviation history

rodchucker
16th May 2011, 21:45
Does anyone else feel that this is the most dangerous time in Australian aviation history?

Where is the media commentary? Beyond Sandilands there is almost NOTHING coming out in the public arena beyond basic references to various isolated disputes with Qantas.

We have a Rat who is destroying every aspect of its business and no one is asking why? They are spinning everyone and day by day more details of the grand plan emerge when they have to do it.

It is being said that this is about wages (pilots and engineers) but that is not the issue, but the Rat is content for everyone to focus on that diversion. This is about a plan that has been executed with armies of consultants and spin doctors with precision, whilst provoking the unions (Remember the reasons for delays in EBA resolution).

This has enormous consequences for Australia and no one is asking what is going on beyond the employees?

xjt
16th May 2011, 22:01
mate its been in the works for years.....but people have either been to apathetic or way to involved in themselves to even realise whats forthcoming......OOOHHH but wait now that reality is setting in you are all asking questions. Do you think j* and QF problems are of coincidence ...mmm - food for thought. But i am afraid that they may have awaken a sleeping giant within the j* ranks. Only if we could all get ob board and teach these "c**k suckers" what real unity and labour power means. But no we are too bust blaming one another.......so sad what has transpired....

assasin8
16th May 2011, 23:08
I-pad/upgrades/chairman's club invitation...1
Cabin crew/engineers/pilots...0
Mmmm???:yuk:

peuce
17th May 2011, 00:13
Do you think the average Aussie gives a ****e?
They have their own problems, just turning a sufficient living.

Are the planes still flying?
Can I still buy cheap tickets?
Are they still serving rough red in the Qantas Club?

The rest is just white noise.

simsalabim
17th May 2011, 00:17
Media in Australia is no different to other countries .It's dual purpose is to make $$ and to control the population by dumbing down and making them believe what ever it is that they and their mates want them to believe .
Their is plenty of stuff out there on this subject courtesy of google. I came across this and thought it relevant. Apologies for the cut and paste.

Concentration of media ownership (also known as media consolidation or media convergence) refers to a process whereby progressively fewer individuals or organizations control increasing share of the mass media. Contemporary research demonstrates increasing levels of consolidation, with many media industries already highly concentrated and dominated by a small number of firms.

Media concentration closely relates to issues of editorial independence , media bias and freedom of the press.In that sense, the term "media consolidation" is used especially by those who view such consolidation as sociological detrimental, dangerous, or problematic.

When media ownership is concentrated in one or more of the ways mentioned above, a number of undesirable consequences follow, including the following:

Commercially driven, ultra-powerful mass market media is primarily loyal to sponsors, i.e. advertisers and government rather than to the public interest.
If only a few companies representing the interests of a minority elite control the public airwaves of the world , then calling them "public airwaves" is only lip service.
Healthy, market-based competition is absent, leading to slower innovation and increased prices.

Critics of consolidation ask whether control of a local media market can be fully accountable and dependable in serving the public interest. If only one or two media conglomerates dominate in a single market, the question is whether they will present a diversity of opinions, but also whether they are willing to present information that may be damaging to either their advertisers or to themselves.
Reporters often see their stories refused or edited beyond recognition, in instances where they have unearthed potentially damaging information against friends of their employer,Overt example would be the repeated refusal of networks to air "ads" from anti war advocates to liberal groups like moveon.org , regardless of factual basis.

Journalists and their reports may be directly sponsored by parties who are the subject of their journalism leading to reports which actually favor the sponsor, have that appearance, or are simply a repetition of the sponsors opinion.

rodchucker
17th May 2011, 00:25
Peuce,

I give a ****e and care and so should the rest of the travelling public. I sincerely hope that a sleeping giant has been woken and that joe public understands what he is getting from this point if the Rat is successful and more importantly the level of morality they have brought to the debate.

Companies who behave badly should be exposed for any number of reasons and I am sorry I just cannot see this happening here.

Cannot help but think that the unions and pilots associations are losing the pr war because what we do see is pretty much limited to Rat Spin about wages claims.

The message just isn't getting out there. It is fine for a group to be pissed off and talk between each other but it counts for nothing if the public don't know the real issues in such an important public policy issue.

otto the grot
17th May 2011, 01:04
I'm afraid peuce is spot on here.

Let's face it. The average travelling joe blogs would neither understand nor give a rats arse about what joyce and his cohorts are trying to do to the workers.

Joe blogs still has a hard time understanding how planes get into the air and wonders why pilots are needed at all when these things can land themselves:rolleyes:

They just want their Jimmy can after take off and wonder why they have to pay for it.

peuce
17th May 2011, 06:10
Yes ... and RODCHUCKER, just because that's my observation, doesn't mean I'm happy with it.

But the Australian public are well over watching pissing matches between Political Parties and Employers and Employees. They've seen it all before. It's just fill-in during the News half hour ... until the important stuff comes on ... the Sport.

If you're seriously looking for public support for this issue ... you're going to have to find a new angle ... to grab their attention. Preferably delivered by an equally attention grabbing individual. And, unfortunately, I haven't seen too many charismatic Union Reps. I don't know his views, but someone like Gerry Harvey(the "god" of Plasma Screens) seems to be good at the 2 minute grab.

Just my thoughts ...

1me
17th May 2011, 06:43
rodchucker, you and I, and I daresay many others, care about what happens because we have a vested interest. But I agree with peuce's observation that joe average doesn't give a hoot because they don't have a vested interest.

ramp_boy
17th May 2011, 07:31
I would venture to suggest that as technology has evolved in aviation, public safety has increased in aviation.. and though *most* of us truly care about doing the best we can to preserve human life.. the 'bean counters' see it like this: aviation safety no longer is dependant on the highly skilled individual. The job is done by design.. maybe we are dead and gone...:bored:

rodchucker
17th May 2011, 07:34
Therefore you have to serve it up in the context that Joe Public understands.

How is that so hard?Australian or offshore workers.Rat captains vs Gen Y brats who do you want up front if it turns to dust.Why is it that the Rat is not telling the truth.

Any decent media guy could deliver the message and get their attention and my point was no one seen so far has even come close.

My only interest is as part of Joe Public but I am absolutely incensed about what is going on out there.I have worked with many of the famous bad guy cases so trust me I know.

Sorry but who says you have to play by the rules they are setting.

Angle of Attack
17th May 2011, 08:28
Joe Public might respond if all the big mining companies decide to fly in/fly out workers from Indonesia for 30% the wages, and they are probably closer too! I am still waiting for them to try it on, they have a few more problems though compared to airlines but if the rot does not stop it will happen! I suggest this should be a comparison on what QF are doing, it will hit a chord with all the mining contractors currently making a killing in the mines.

Angle of Attack
17th May 2011, 08:32
Rat captains vs Gen Y brats who do you want up front if it turns to dust

Lol , I am not gen Y but still think thats a bit harsh! There surely is a few decent ones! :ok:

4Greens
17th May 2011, 08:33
A Minister of Aviation would be a good start. Talk to your local MP.

Wally Mk2
17th May 2011, 11:08
As a few have already said here Jo Public couldn't care less about the plight of tech crews & our concerns as long as the tickets are cheap & they get there when they are supposed to. But this mindset amongst the general public include us too.
I/we mostly don't know nor care too much what other industry employees who are struggling whilst we eat fruit that's imported, ride public transport that are being maned by employees who are getting the rough end of a pineapple by their employers or getting our kids educated whilst the teachers are also getting a raw deal not too mention the hard working nurses, and so on it goes right across the board. Aviation is just one part of "them & us".
A vested interest is good, it's the only sanity amongst all this but it takes a lot more than having a vested interest by most employees to change the face of aviation.
T&C's are constantly erodeded these days in order to keep big business making money in a cut throat world whether it be for an individual or the share holders.
In any business there are costs that can't be reduced such as fuel/spare parts etc in our line of business as an Eg but the one things that can be manipulated is the human element, you & I, the 'soft' targets in any business.
Our aviation industry is a fragile beast, it's an ever changing beast that's being bled slowly but surely. Once the blood has drained from the sole thing that makes up a Co the employees then it dies.

Wmk2

Oakape
17th May 2011, 12:18
One thing Joe Public does give a hoot about, after they have sourced the cheapest fare available, is getting there & back in one piece.

The trouble is that they believe that all airlines are equally safe, because in their minds the government ensures that through regulation. They need to be educated in a manner that they will understand & no one is going to do that if the various pilot groups don't take on the job themselves.

Highlight specific accidents & show how lack of adequate training, fatigue & outsourcing were part, if not all, of the cause. Then show the flip side where above average training & working conditions saved the day.

Even if you scare some people enough that they stop flying it will be no worse than it is now & in the long run will probably be better for the industry.

Spin & public opinion are what will stop the rot. Politicians use this technique to great effect to get the vote. If we can get Joe Public to 'vote' for the safer airlines - those with better training & T&C's, the others will have to change their direction or lose money. And we all know that money talks!

Who knows, maybe public opinion will even force the regulator to actually start regulating in a meaningful way.

rodchucker
17th May 2011, 16:57
OK accept Gen Brats was harsh but you get the point.

You have to change the image that some are seeking to project that you are overpaid whingers who can be replaced by those who have neither the worldly experience or runs on the board to assume the responsibilities that are imposed on you by law.

You earned the right to the roles by hard work, personal and family sacrifices and through dedication to maintaining the high standards that the Rat seems to trot out or forget whenever it suits them.

The fact is that you are technical professionals who have trained for many years to be able to safely conduct yourselves to the standard that has been set by society over many years. (I accept that low fares are the primary objective of many but they will forget that if things go pear shaped)

You do care about the standards that are applied to your profession both now and in the future and the reason you care is not the weekly pay check.

You do care about the way some airline management are seeking to place you under such unsustainable pressure that your are fearful of the consequences on both the standards of the profession and the future of the industry.

It is your industry, your jobs and it is up to you to engage the public at this important time.

crocodile redundee
17th May 2011, 22:31
As a retired industry employee with 32 years service to 2 large australian airline companies , all I can say is I am SO Glad to be out of the "System".
From the Dept of Transport/Aviation up , the entire system is rotten to the core.
Gone are the days of Professionalism & Proudness to serve in this industry.

The world has changed forever. Nobody cares about substance & facts any more , Its all about the "Warm & Fuzzies" "Human Resources" "Carbon Credits" & other non descript rubbish. not to mention the "Plastic Throwaway Aeroplanes" being churned out.
I feel seriously sorry for any person "trapped"in the industry these days.
My advice - Get out & move forward , leave Australia ,(it is well & truly Rooted) & find the myriad of better places to live & work.....

mcgrath50
18th May 2011, 05:18
For all of those emploring us to leave Australia, where would we go?

Europe = farked
US = farked
Middle East = Will be farked when the oil runs out
Really that leaves Asia who are growing and then it comes down to the majority of countries do you really want to live there?

assasin8
18th May 2011, 05:31
...And then there's the small matter of the wife and kids!

Not everyone wants to up-end their family and go live in the desert or elsewhere.

As they say, the best investment decision you'll ever make is to keep wife 1.0!

We should never have handed over the train-set to the accountants and human resources people. They've screwed it for everyone... And I'm not just talking about aviation!:{

aroa
18th May 2011, 07:51
From someone who has been there and done that a couple of times... I can tell you without fear or favour that dealing with the "minister"/ his office or yr local MP about any aviation issue, is a complete and utter waste of time and effort. Oxy thieves all ! You'll get more spin than in an autorotation.
Their only interest is the next election.... NOT rectifying any probs with Aviation in Oz. Definitely does NOT compute.!:\

Sit back with a good red, a yatching magazine... or even an aviation one.

MUCH better for yr personal well-being and mental health.:)