PDA

View Full Version : X-Ray question

Delight
15th May 2011, 21:26
Passing through a european airport last week I was very surprised to see the x-ray machine operators sitting with the screens in full view of people in the departure lounge. I have always thought that what the operator sees is hidden from the public whenever possible for security reasons. In this case it seemed fairly simple for someone to stand around watching other passengers baggage being scanned. Isn't this, at best, poor practice or, at worst, rather dangerous?

Manchikeri
15th May 2011, 22:06
Don't complain; it was probably far more interesting than the Eurovision Song Contest!

Seriously though, just what harm was done? I, for one, am not overly excited by seeing the outlined contents of another person's briefcase.

wiggy
15th May 2011, 23:42
I have always thought that what the operator sees is hidden from the public whenever possible for security reasons.

From personal experience it's fairly common at many European airports to be able to see the screens, and to be honest I don't see why it's a problem.

Delight
16th May 2011, 08:13
If I wanted to get something through security, the ability to perform trial runs and observe the capabilites of the machines and the operators would be something I would find useful.

Hipennine
16th May 2011, 08:27
Well, if I've nicely hidden my expensive digital camera away from prying eyes of some thief, I think I'd be pretty annoyed if "security" is showing pictures to one and all (including said thief), of where to go ferreting around in my bag, while their partner in crime distracts me.

Capot
16th May 2011, 08:42
Google comes to our help...
Psychopathology

Meaning No. 13 - Exaggerated fear of a specific situation, activity or thing

I think it's now considered to be a form of mild mental illness.

Load Toad
16th May 2011, 15:44
You can see the screens at most airports I've been too - no one seems to careless; I don't.

If you are carrying a battery operated plastic aid to love or such I guess it might be a bit embarrassing.

Phalconphixer
16th May 2011, 16:07
hipennine...
Well, if I've nicely hidden my expensive digital camera away from prying eyes of some thief, I think I'd be pretty annoyed if "security" is showing pictures to one and all (including said thief), of where to go ferreting around in my bag, while their partner in crime distracts me.

I always thought that the idea of personal baggage security was that you loaded your bag into the x-ray machine, passed yourself through the metal detector and then collected your bag as it emerges from the machine... So at what point does the would be thief get to rifle through your bag? And what are you doing whilst it is being rifled?

Would be thief and partner in crime hanging around the xray machine? I think not, the much hated yellow jackets wont let anyone hang around in this area. Outside of this area the security of your hand baggage is entirely down to you. Don't let it out of your sight, better still don't let it out of your hand lest the same yellow jackets take it away and blow it up!

Hipennine
16th May 2011, 16:40
Seems that a lot of you live in some sort of crime free shangri-la.

1/Surprisingly, opportunistic thieves take holidays, business trips, etc. just like the rest of us.

2/This morning, I spent circa ten minutes putting my shoes/belt etc back-on, putting the laptop back in the rucksac, etc., at a major European airport, happily watching the contents of everybody elses luggage on the very visible screen. Nobody tried to move me on.

Put 1/ and 2/ together, and it's almost inevitable that an opportunistic thief/thieves will use the information they might glean at security to not-so-good use. Airports, railway stations, public transport generally, are perfect hunting grounds for pickpockets and other diversion robbers.

ImPlaneCrazy
16th May 2011, 17:25
If you have seen these said screens then you will realise that they are constantly moving, compromised of a multitude of colours and are fairly "un-readable" to the average joe. Yes, outlines of items are shown but along with the rest of the junk we take in our hand luggages it is pretty hard to identify items that are commonly appearing in peoples bags but this is what the security staff are trained for.

radeng
16th May 2011, 20:48
But my 'new' insulin pen and case seems to confuse them every time at Nice....

The worst ones for insulin was when transiting Bangkok. Talk about stupid questions....

Load Toad
16th May 2011, 23:14
On the off chance that a sneaky thief is in line waiting to spot the x-ray of your bag, is capable of seeing and working out from the images what you have and then gets themselves into the position to steal your carefully secreted expensive stash, with no one spotting them - here's a top tip you might want to try:

Lock your bag.

Di_Vosh
17th May 2011, 00:28
Psychopathology

Hipennine

This morning, I spent circa ten minutes putting my shoes/belt etc back-on, putting the laptop back in the rucksac, etc.,

Mate, if it takes you TEN MINUTES to do all that, I'd be more worried about someone just TAKING YOUR STUFF, wandering to the toilets (obviously if it takes you 10 minutes to just put on shoes and belt your attention will be elsewhere), and then spend their time at leisure rifling through your gear.

Wont matter then how well your "expensive" digital camera is hidden.

DIVOSH!

P.S. It is amazing how some people can turn the most mundane events into a source of drama :cool:

Saint Jack
17th May 2011, 02:46
Departing from Milan-Malpensa last year and going through security I'm asked by a delightful young lady who only spoke basic English to open by bag. She's sifting through the contents obvously looking for something that has shown-up on the x-ray screen while the line behind me begins to lengthen. Finally, the operator calls me over, points to the offending article on his screen and asks "what's that?". I didn't realise how prominent lead crystal appears in an x-ray.

baselb
20th May 2011, 09:34
I once saw a gun on the screen as my bag was going through the x-ray, which was odd (I tend to smuggle my gun in my jacket).

The x-ray guy told me not to worry as the software ransomly adds these things to keep the operators alert.