PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Single Engine Turbine Operations- should the rules change?

wills9055
15th May 2011, 19:51
Just wanted to throw the question out there. Should the rules change? With aircraft (and engines) now having an established track record should it be possible to operate them commercially? I'm thinking really of the TBM700/850, PC-12, and Caravans.

Genghis the Engineer
16th May 2011, 09:55
I sat for a while on a committee that was looking at this.

Not recently, but I doubt that the politics have changed much. For as long as there are more multi-engined manufacturers than single-engine manufacturers attending European decision making meetings, it won't change.

Yes, it should be down to the safety case, and that does need to be good enough: it probably is, but that's not what will decide it.

G

Shawn Coyle
16th May 2011, 16:49
What are the numbers like for failures of single engine turbines that are subject to the engine manufacturer's recommended maintenance practices? There have to be enough of these flying in other parts of the world to provide a good-sized sample.
What is the failure rate for piston engine twins without a positive climb gradient in all phases of flight?
Let the numbers decide.