PDA

View Full Version : Checker

goldox
14th May 2011, 22:13
I was just wondering what Checker does during a runway inspection, and finds something major. I understand small objects etc. may be retrieved straight away, but what about something more, possibly runway damage or similar? Does he have authority to immediately have the runway closed, or is the decision made elsewhere?

And are landing aircraft advised of possible damage etc?

And finally, what does vehicle, callsign Seagull, do?

Many thanx and sorry in advance for being so ignorant.

NudgingSteel
14th May 2011, 23:12
This might vary between airports but if a Checker vehicle (usually that's the aerodrome authority) finds a problem with the runway, it's their airport and they'll ususally tell ATC what they want to do. These day's it's probably an immediate suspension of operations (breaking traffic off approach, stopping deps etc) until the problem can be fixed in some way. Due to liability concerns, etc, it's unusual for pilots to be told that there's debris or damage on the runway but "you're cleared to land" anyway. Better to confirm that there's nothing to burst tyres or get sucked into engines before allowing any further movements.
"Seagull" is usually a birdscaring unit who's constantly tasked with keeping birds away from the runway.

MAN777
15th May 2011, 00:06
Having spent several hours as a guest in a checker vehicle at LHR, i have nothing but admiration for these guys and gals. They do a very demanding job and have a huge responsibility on their shoulders, it was explained to me that they can shut the runway immediately if required. It can take up to an hour to do the full runway as each section is checked a bit at a time, interspersed with quick darts off the runway between movements. Great fun having a 747 rotate a few yards away from you. Awesome :)

pianydd
15th May 2011, 01:35
Have been a 'seagull' in a previous life, and very interesting it is too. The methods used for bird scaring are usually either playing recordings of various species of birds in distress, which can be selected to the specific bird type to be dispersed, or bird scaring cartridges fired from a pistol. All birdstrikes need to be reported, and any remains however minute, can be sent along with the report, and a very accurate identification is obtained from the lab - I believe by DNA analysis.