PDA

View Full Version : Flying IFR USA/South America

Cecco
14th May 2011, 09:31
Hi, we might go over the Atlantic soon with a C525A. I've been to Europe, Middle East and Africa but never to the U.S/South America. I was wondering what are the differences in IFR flying Europe/U.S in terms of Radio phraseology and IFR procedures and any other differences I could possibly think of (inches of mercury instead of hpa, visibility im met reports is both vertically and horizontally indicated in feet I believe)???

For South America; I guess they also have the SLOP procedure in some regions and also the 126.9?? Is it Cash only at some airports like in Africa???

Any advice is appreciated,
Regards
Cecco

fernytickles
14th May 2011, 10:37
For the USA ....

To give yourself an idea of phraseology differences, try listening to air traffic control (http://www.liveatc.com)

Visibility is given in miles until it goes right down to RVRs.

Transition altitude is at 18000 feet/FL180

Take a look at fltplan.com A really useful flightplanning website with lots of helpful info.

Haven't done any flying in South America, sorry. If no one comes up on here, try looking at, or posting on, propilotworld.com

NuName
14th May 2011, 11:47
In the states when you give ATC your flight level and they come back with "maintain" a different flight level it is actually a clearance to climb or decsend, seems they can't be bothered to say that.

sovereign680
14th May 2011, 22:20
Before you reach the US you will enter a "new" world crossing the Atlantic. You may PM me for advice. (2500 hours CJ more than 50 Atlantic crossings flown in all States of the US) Ansonsten ist das Fliegen in den USA überraschend einfach und schön.

wwelvaert
16th May 2011, 17:26
US is generally straightforward. Typically less low IFR weather than Europe except coastal and lakefront areas in winter. More convective weather in summer though.

For US be sure to check TSA and immigration requirements (I believe the visa waiver doesn't apply to most non-airline flights).

For Latin America you need a good handling agent. Most countries require some paperwork for landing/overflight permits. Check ahead for airport fees, but I don't think I've run into any where payment is cash only.

Flying in Latin America is easy enough. Lots of mountains and some high altitude airports. Don't let your guard down because you might be in the proverbial "middle of nowhere". (not to be condescending, but I had a bad experience along those lines as a jumpseater some time ago)

Enjoy the trip. Feel free to PM me if you need any specific info for Latin America or the North Atlantic.

INNflight
16th May 2011, 21:21
I agree about the US Paperwork, get your ducks in a row early enough.

You'll have to do the TSA application and eAPIS, which I believe takes at least 5-7 working days.

Other than that - as mentioned - flying in the US is a joy.

ksjc
17th May 2011, 00:58
Cecco,

If you obtain a complete Jepp Manual or Jepp Trip Kit there is a section dedicated to the differences between Country of Flight and ICAO Standard. Good stuff to read for pre-flight prep. This does not cover Customs/Immigration procedures however..just the flying stuff.

Also, for the N.Atl crossing the Enroute 1/2 Chart margins are chock full of procedural info to make the crossing. Getting your Oceanic Clearance, RVSM/MNPS Contingencies, SLOP, and much more. Doesn't substitute for proper training but good for review and to learn about changes since the last trip across.