TAP is for sale!

Here in Portugal, the news annouce as potential buyers:

-Iberia/BA
-Qatar
-TAM

Any rumours in your Airline?

EISNN
14th May 2011, 12:31
This might interest you Coto. this was reported only a few days ago.

IAG eyes up TAP | ABTN (http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/0915756-iag-eyes-tap)

david.crosby
15th May 2011, 07:51
TAM to buy TAP? Not so fast | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times (http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/05/09/tam-to-buy-tap-not-so-fast/)

This is a quite good blog on this issue. With the bottom saying IAG wouldnt do a deal stright away. Also Lufthansa could try for it. We will just never know for now

roverman
16th May 2011, 12:51
I do hope IAG don't get hold of TAP. They are just returning to LIS-MAN, and history tells us that as soon as BA buys a stake in an airline their MAN services get pulled and pax routed via LHR. Read QF, IB, CX and more.

Coto
16th May 2011, 16:29
Thanks david.crosby and EISSN.

I do hope IAG doesnt buy TAP as well. Because Iberia is just like BA, and usually leaves the recently bought company in bankrupcy. I can imagine all the flights being planned to Madrid instead of Lisbon, and TAP closing doors. A director of Lufhtansa told the press, that Lufthansa will not buy TAP(unfortunately)

AirLCY
16th May 2011, 17:40
LIS could be a good third hub for IAG, main Brazil hub etc.

Coto
16th May 2011, 18:44
It could, but I dont believe Iberia would follow that track. Remember when Iberia bought Viasa? All the Viasa airbuses were transfered to Iberia, milked Viasa until there was nothing and filed for bankrupcy. Aerolineas Argentinas is another example.

They have a new terminal in Madrid where they centralize everything. You dont see Iberia using Barcelona as a big long haul hub, or any other spanish city by the way.

I think TAP is on the right track, aircraft are always full, passanger numbers always increasing and breaking records. And if it wasnt for some political decisions, probably it would show good results.(TAP as an airline had 69 million euros in profit, unfortunately as a group(Tap, groundforce, etc) it is in the red).

For me, it would be a shame to see Iberia breaking TAP apart.