PDA

View Full Version : Jump Seat Emergency!

LatviaCalling
27th Jul 2001, 00:07
We've had a lot of comments in the past on who can fly jump seat and who can not -- which airlines allow it and which don't.

If you are one of the airlines that do allow it, what would you do if you had allowed a jump seat PAX on to the flight deck and suddenly you would have a real serious emergency -- engines out, severe decrompression, rapid loss of altitude, etc., etc.

While all this is going on would you send the poor sod back to the cattle class where he/she might get injured by all the goings on, or keep them three-pointed strapped in the jump seat.

When you land safely, let's assume, this ding bat is still in your cockpit. What do you do with him? Send him back to where he came? Keep him and write a report? Or, what if the plane is evacuated and he's still with you?

Some questions to ponder.

akerosid
27th Jul 2001, 00:25
Well, as one of the "dingbats", I'd actually rather be strapped in for the duration - can't say I'd really like to be sent running through the cabin during rapid descent, decompression, etc.

It could be a joint effort; someone give me a laptop and I can write the report for you during the descent!

SFly
27th Jul 2001, 03:54
Do you really think that you would have time to break your concentration in an emergency and say "I think its time for you to leave"?

No is the answer, as that would also jeopardize the safety of the person in the jumpseat.

They don't have 5-point harnesses in the jump seat for the person to leave when it gets bumpy, and passengers travelling jumpseat for the duration are always given their own safety procedures by one of the pilots.

If the plane is evacuated, then everybody is evacuated including those in the flight deck, so that shouldn't be an issue.

That is what should generally happen.
True?

SFly

Tee
27th Jul 2001, 08:44
On an overbooked flight I was on a few years ago, the cabin crew asked for a volunteer to travel in the jumpseat. The first volunteer was rejected by the captain because he smelled of alcohol, so I got the chance. I was given a very comprehensive briefing relevant to the cockpit and jumpseat position, rather than the usual passenger cabin briefing, and , in particular, how to evacuate from the cockpit in the event of an emergency via a rope thrown out of the window if the worst came to the worst!

Few Cloudy
27th Jul 2001, 13:17
We had an emergency on take-off with a jump seat occupant. It was a complicated multiple failure, requiring a lot of communication on both radios.

The Jumpseater was very useful to us although he was only qualified to be observer on our aircraft type at that time.

The point is to make sure that for TO and LDG, any jump seat pax is a qualified pilot.

low n' slow
27th Jul 2001, 13:30
Having a dad that works for SAS, I get the oppertunity to travel as Jump seat pax frequently. I allways recieve a briefing in how to opperate the Oxygen mask and how to evacuate, both by rope and the traditional way. The crew allways make shure I know how to operate the jump seat quickly.
Of what I've understood, SAS employs the jump seat quite often on overbooked flights.
However, relatives to SAS employees generally get priority.
/lns

VFE
27th Jul 2001, 14:45
Every flight I have been on where the crew have been kind enough to let me occupy the jumpseat, I have been given a thorough safety briefing as soon as I enter the cockpit.
One occasion earlier this year on a jumbo springs to mind where the resting pilot told me "that in the event that we need to get out quick we can leave either by the pilots window or by the hatch in the roof. You will go first followed closely behind by my boot!"

Dingbat.

PAXboy
27th Jul 2001, 22:36
I concurr that, on the occasions I have had the good fortune to be in the jump seat, I have had oxygen and escape briefing.

My nephew is a F/O and tells this story. They had been asked to allow a woman to sit up front for arrival.

As they told her about escape procedures, they realised that she was not that bright. So, ny nephew says, "If I leave through this window here, you MUST follow me." <silence from the female> my nephew continues, "You'll know what to do as I have the words 'FOLLOW ME' stamped on the soles of my shoes".

At this the woman brightened and said that was very clever. "Yes it is - they are company issue."
:D

LatviaCalling
28th Jul 2001, 23:12
I wasn't trying to be cocky in posting this thread, as I got the impression from AKEROSID in the first reply.

Rather, my point probably should have been made clearer that pilots in stress situations have a lot more to worry about than a possibly panicked passenger sitting two feet behind them.

I've flown jump seat many times, including Nordair 373 landing on skis (smooth as silk) at Frobisher Bay, NWT, Canada and at that time a Czechoslovakian IL-86 from Montreal to Prague.

Those were my two biggest joys -- one because of the uniqueness of skis and the captain being a former Luftwaffe ME109 pilot, and the second being there where it all happens on a Russian-built aircraft guided by a former MiG15 pilot.

Strange coincidences.

SFly
29th Jul 2001, 01:20
Latvia . . . paragraph 2 . . . Isn't that what I said? :D

chiglet
29th Jul 2001, 02:42
As an ATSA, I "bid" for 'Familiarisation Flights', [ATC/Aircrew interface].
Every, repeat, EVERY flight has had a comprehensive safety briefing on "Emergency Egress". (I was lucky enough to have a "similar" briefing in a RAF Hawk, with the exeption of 'diving' out of the window, there would be a [very] loud bang!
The point of this thread reply, is that at Decision Height, we had a [none standard] go around. [Ovc 300'] A/c departed ahead, so early turn! Only my 2nd G/A in 40 years of [pax] flying. The crew were totally "PROFESSIONAL"
The A/C was a [rather] old Ba146, all manual, flaps, throttle etc. this followed by a rapid re-aquire of the ILS, was unbelieveable. It was almost as boring as a video game, it was so "rehearsed"
It was the crews first G/A in 2 1/2 years
Was I impressed? Well...Course I was
:D

we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy